SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    1.5 days to Myself in Philadelphia - What to See/Do/Avoid?
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

1.5 days to Myself in Philadelphia - What to See/Do/Avoid? Login/Join 
Picture of JJexp
posted Hide Post
I'd second the Battleship New Jersey, if you haven't been on one it's definitely worth it. Just make sure to only stay in that particular area near the ship and the aquarium, and don't wander off the reservation into Camden.

There are a lot of other free things to do and see, as have been previously mentioned but m,out are just historic places such as the First Continental Congress and the Liberty Bell and whatnot. If you're a big history buff, it's worth it otherwise you might be bored.

There's no shortage of museums; you can do the Rocky thing if you hit the art museum, there's also the Franklin Institute, the weird Mutter Museum, etc...

Posts: 451 | Location: Hatboro, PA | Registered: May 25, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jjkroll32:
places to eat

What do you like? If you give me some preferences, I can give you some ideas.

Posts: 33787 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: November 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sgalczyn:
SEE:
- Independence Square (Liberty Bell, etc.)
- Museum of Art
- Franklin Institute

These are all excellent. The National Park Service's treatment of the old national buildings is really good.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53122 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Scientific Beer Geek
posted Hide Post
Monk's Cafe at 15th and Spruce if you are a Beer lover. This is a Belgian Style Beer Bar. They have a large number of Belgian Ales up front, but many more are available at the back taps. They also serve Belgian dishes cooked with beer.

If you like Blue Crabs (East Coast), Denardos at 3rd and Race has excellent crab dishes, which are their specialty.

Tony Luc's has pretty good cheese steaks. Usually the smaller shops have really good steaks. Avoid the tourist traps like Pat's, Rick's, and Geno's. Their steaks are OK, but not the best.

For fine dinning, Jose Garces, the Iron Chef has a number restaurants in Philly. http://garcesgroup.com/restaurants

Morimoto also has a restaurant in Philly.
http://www.morimotorestaurant.com/

Enjoy you time in Philly!

Mike

"Beer is living proof that God loves us and wants to see us happy." - Benjamin Franklin

Posts: 2079 | Location: Philadelphia Suburbs | Registered: August 02, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Cat Whisperer
Picture of cmr076
posted Hide Post
reading terminal market for an amish pretzel (I like them better than the philly pretzels), if you want a cheesesteak try Johns Roast Pork, I like Steves as well. If you want a REAL treat, come to chestnut hill for a schmitter from McNallys. If you go to Old City and literally just walk around, you would have to avoid not tripping over cool things to do and see (I think the liberty bell is a waste of time and always INSANELY crowded).

------------------------------------

├┼┼╕
246R

Posts: 3901 | Location: SE PA | Registered: November 13, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Wreckless
posted Hide Post
US Mint tour is interesting.

https://www.usmint.gov/about/m...hia/tour-information

La Dolce Vita

Posts: 543 | Location: SW Florida & SNJ | Registered: July 26, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Non Nobis Solum
posted Hide Post
Reading Terminal Market
The Continental in midtown for lobster mac and cheese
I love the art museum and the area around Independence Hall

DISCLAIMER: These are the author's own personal views and do not represent the views of the author's employer.

Posts: 3615 | Location: Charlottesville, VA | Registered: May 10, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
There's also a newly opened Revolutionary War museum in Old City that I've heard is well done. For cheesesteaks in that area, I like Sonny's on Market between 2nd and 3rd. They're good drunk or sober, unlike Pat's or Geno's. Reading Terminal Market is a great recommendation. There's good food at random bars in the area...Khyber Pass Pub, Plough & The Stars. For a little bit out of the ordinary, I suggest Nick's Roast Beef on 19th and Jackson. It's a corner bar in South Philly. I've never had a roast beef sandwich as good anywhere. I've worked in Old City for about 15 years. I love the area.

Posts: 343 | Location: Atco, NJ | Registered: April 02, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
If you like bicycle rides...
Go to The intersection of Sedgley Dr. & Kelly Dr.
Then look for "Wheel Fun Rentals" to rent a bike. With that done do a loop around the Philadelphia Museum of Art, then head northwest to check out boathouse row and the remainder of Fairmont Park.
Excellent easy ride with paved paths and interesting veiw of the city.

Best advice from previous messages:
Stay nearest to the tourist friendly old city and away from surrounding areas.

Literally, just one wrong turn and you are possibly in some of the worst areas of the area. Temple University is a prime example of that!

--Tom
The right of self preservation, in turn, was understood as the right to defend oneself against attacks by lawless individuals, or, if absolutely necessary, to resist and throw off a tyrannical government.

Posts: 1513 | Location: Lehigh County,PA-USA | Registered: February 20, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by cmr076:
If you want a REAL treat, come to chestnut hill for a schmitter from McNallys.

Yes! The OP should get himself an Uber ride from Center City or wherever he is staying to Chestnut Hill (a Philly neighborhood that is very much more wealthy and suburban than the rest of Philly) and to McNally's for a Schmitter and a couple pints of Yuengling to wash it down.

Posts: 33787 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: November 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of JJexp
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by DBabsJr:
There's also a newly opened Revolutionary War museum in Old City that I've heard is well done.

Nick's Roast Beef on 19th and Jackson.

These two things are excellent suggestions. Nicks roast beef is some of the best.

Posts: 451 | Location: Hatboro, PA | Registered: May 25, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Cat Whisperer
Picture of cmr076
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by PASig:
quote:
Originally posted by cmr076:
If you want a REAL treat, come to chestnut hill for a schmitter from McNallys.

Yes! The OP should get himself an Uber ride from Center City or wherever he is staying to Chestnut Hill (a Philly neighborhood that is very much more wealthy and suburban than the rest of Philly) and to McNally's for a Schmitter and a couple pints of Yuengling to wash it down.

man that picture did it. I live two blocks from there and am DEFINITELY walking up tonight.

├┼┼╕
246R

Posts: 3901 | Location: SE PA | Registered: November 13, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Cat Whisperer
Picture of cmr076
posted Hide Post
how did you enjoy philly? What did you end up doing and seeing?

├┼┼╕
246R