SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    1.5 days to Myself in Philadelphia - What to See/Do/Avoid?
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

1.5 days to Myself in Philadelphia - What to See/Do/Avoid? Login/Join 
Bone 4 Tuna
Picture of jjkroll32
posted
Traveling to Philadelphia next weekend for business. I've got about 1.5 days to myself for exploration - getting in a day early and 2 evenings after work.

I've only ever passed through the city.

Hoping to solicit advice from members as to highlights that I should try to make time for, places to eat, and also places/areas to stay out of.

My thanks to all.

NRA Life Member

Long Live the Super Thirty-Eight

Posts: 11144 | Location: Mid-Michigan | Registered: October 02, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Unhyphenated American
Picture of Floyd D. Barber
posted Hide Post
http://muttermuseum.org/visit/hours-admission/

The Mutter Museum

__________________________________________________________________________________
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Always remember that others may hate you but those who hate you don't win unless you hate them. And then you destroy yourself.
Richard M Nixon

It's nice to be important, it's more important to be nice.
Billy Joe Shaver

NRA Life Member

Posts: 7353 | Location: Between the Moon and New York City. | Registered: November 27, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lighten up and laugh
Picture of Ackks
posted Hide Post
Old City around Independence Hall and Reading Terminal Market for food.

Posts: 7934 | Registered: September 29, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sgalczyn
posted Hide Post
SEE:
- Independence Square (Liberty Bell, etc.)
- Museum of Art
- Franklin Institute

AVOID:
EVERYTHING North of City Hall

Note:
Carry will be off limits in buildings(FED) around Independence Square.

"No matter where you go - there you are"

Posts: 4571 | Location: Eastern PA-Berks/Lehigh Valley | Registered: January 03, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Striker in waiting
Picture of BurtonRW
posted Hide Post
Hit Franklin Fountain for dessert.

Tour the USS Olympia.

-Rob

I predict that there will be many suggestions and statements about the law made here, and some of them will be spectacularly wrong. - jhe888

A=A

Posts: 16268 | Location: Maryland, AA Co. | Registered: March 16, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
An investment in knowledge
pays the best interest
posted Hide Post
Market & Chestnut Streets for dinner / stroll in the Old Town Section of Philly. Two of my favorite restaurants are City Tavern and Buddakan.
PENN's Museum of Archaeology and Anthropology is one of the finest in the world, only surpassed by the Egyptian and London-based museums.
Not too far from the city center (an hour away or less) are many historical (e.g. Valley Forge) and visitor (e.g. Longwood Gardens) sites that are important/impressive. Just don't forget to snag a cheesesteak (whiz with or not) while in town!

Posts: 3362 | Location: Mid-Atlantic | Registered: December 27, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of C-Dubs
posted Hide Post
I took a horse-drawn carriage tour around historic Philly my first time out there. Saw the Liberty Bell, and Independence Hall. Had some really good cheesesteak, I think it was on Market Street.

I didn't do the Rocky run up the steps, nor see if I could tour the USS New Jersey sitting there in the Delaware River, although it was on my list.

“I won't be wronged. I won't be insulted. I won't be laid a-hand on. I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same from them.”

Posts: 2863 | Location: SE WI | Registered: October 07, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nosce te ipsum
Picture of Woodman
posted Hide Post
Are you staying in Center City? I'd take a walk, river to river, first on Chestnut, then Walnut.

Washington Square has the eternal soldiers flame; lots of Revolutionary War dead are buried there. Christs Church churchyard, 2nd and Market, very cool. Rittenhouse Square, nice area. Center Square is where City Hall is, the largest stone building, I think, in the world - all stone supporting, all the way up.

Logan Square, nice fountains, Benjamin Franklin Parkway, nice walk along to the Rodin Museum, Phila Museum of Art, drop south along 20-something back to Walnut ...

It is a large grid, very walkable. Bring shoes and have a blast.

Have not had one in a while, but the Italian Roast Pork with broccoli rabe, sharp provologne, and hot pickled pepper at George's (1007 S 9th St, Philadelphia, PA 19147) is probably the finest in the city. Real small place, you eat outside on a sideboard, I think.

Posts: 8759 | Registered: March 24, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
No ethanol!
posted Hide Post
If you haven't been on an Iowa class battleship, the NJ is right across the river. Steer clear of the rest of Camden.

------------------
The plural of anecdote is not data. -Frank Kotsonis

Posts: 2003 | Location: Berks Co PA | Registered: December 20, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bookers Bourbon
and a good cigar
Picture of Johnny 3eagles
posted Hide Post
The Franklin Institute, if the neighborhood hasn't gone to shit.

BIDEN SUCKS.

If you're goin' through hell, keep on going.
Don't slow down. If you're scared don't show it.
You might get out before the devil even knows you're there.

NRA ENDOWMENT LIFE MEMBER

Posts: 7120 | Location: Arkansas  | Registered: November 06, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sgalczyn
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Woodman:
Center Square is where City Hall is, the largest stone building, I think, in the world - all stone supporting, all the way up.

I think the cathedral in Cologne Germany may have the edge on that title....or at least larger than City Hall.

"No matter where you go - there you are"

Posts: 4571 | Location: Eastern PA-Berks/Lehigh Valley | Registered: January 03, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of NMPinNYC
posted Hide Post
Hit Holt's cigar shop at 1522 Walnut Street. They have plenty of Fuente product. Have a smoke in the back or upstairs in the lounge.

Best regards,
Nick.

NRA Life Member and Certified Instructor

Posts: 710 | Location: Back in northern NJ/NY State Catskills | Registered: April 16, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of downtownv
posted Hide Post
The school yard where Will Smith Played b Ball...
In West Philadelphia. Big Grin
ANYWHERE, but Pat's and Geno's!

https://www.teampython.com

Posts: 8342 | Location: 18 miles long, 6 Miles at Sea | Registered: January 22, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Since you have a day, try Longwood Gardens in Kennett Square. Longwood Gardens

Along the Schuylkill river in Manayunk, you will find dozens of great restaurants. I ran into Julia Child and her posse about 15 years ago at a place called Jakes. It's still there and the reviews are very good. Jake's and Cooper Wine Bar

Posts: 1854 | Location: Colorado | Registered: October 31, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Doing my best to shape
America's youth
Picture of MooneyP226
posted Hide Post
Liberty Bell, Susan B. Anthony House, Art Museum all should be on the must-sees.

Avoid Geno's and the other one there for Cheesesteaks, there are far better local shops.

ETA: LOL They were advised against above as well Smile

Clarior Hinc Honos

BSA Dad, Cheer Dad

Posts: 1624 | Location: on the 42nd parallel  | Registered: November 19, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Honky Lips
Picture of FenderBender
posted Hide Post

Posts: 8146 | Registered: July 24, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted Hide Post
-Reading Terminal Market: roast pork sandwich at DiNic's
-Museum of The American Revolution
-Independence Hall/Liberty Bell

Posts: 33757 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: November 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nosce te ipsum
Picture of Woodman
posted Hide Post
Rittenhouse Square looking NE towards 18th & Walnut (seems they always say the numbered street first Wink ) taken yesterday afternoon. After relaxing to a fairly decent busker, a short walk brought me to a friend's salon for some work on her web site. Philly is a very walkable city. Only 30 blocks from river to river - 1 ½ miles.

Posts: 8759 | Registered: March 24, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Ackks:
Old City around Independence Hall and Reading Terminal Market for food.

I went to a conference last June and my hotel was literally across the street from historic City Hall. If you like treats (too much), like me, the Reading Terminal Market will be like Nirvana and Hell rolled into one. There must be a dozen places selling every kind of baked treat and candy you can think of.

And I went every damn day for three days. Rode the exercise bike hard and I still gained weight. Oh well.

Bad side, there are some somewhat aggressive pan handlers and if you walk around the city center much, you WILL have to deal with them.

Posts: 3536 | Location: Alexandria, VA | Registered: March 07, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lighten up and laugh
Picture of Ackks
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Batty67:

I went to a conference last June and my hotel was literally across the street from historic City Hall. If you like treats (too much), like me, the Reading Terminal Market will be like Nirvana and Hell rolled into one. There must be a dozen places selling every kind of baked treat and candy you can think of.

And I went every damn day for three days. Rode the exercise bike hard and I still gained weight. Oh well.

Bad side, there are some somewhat aggressive pan handlers and if you walk around the city center much, you WILL have to deal with them.

Yep. Even the Amish are there Smile

Posts: 7934 | Registered: September 29, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post