SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Cost of steel building vs. stick built?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Cost of steel building vs. stick built? Login/Join 
Three Generations
of Service
Picture of PHPaul
posted
Yeah I know, prices of either are going up by the minute, but...

For a given size, which is cheaper to put up? Assume a contractor in both cases, I'm too damned old to be doing my own building any more.

Be careful when following the masses. Sometimes the M is silent.

Posts: 15221 | Location: Downeast Maine | Registered: March 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Funny Man
Picture of TXJIM
posted Hide Post
The cost difference is pretty negligible if the intention is to do a complete residential finish out of all of the under roof space. The interior framing and finish out is the bulk of the cost. If you intend to leave a significant portion as shop/barn type space the metal building has a cost advantage.

Posts: 7093 | Location: Austin, TX | Registered: June 29, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Three Generations
of Service
Picture of PHPaul
posted Hide Post
Sorry, should have provided details.

Heated shop. All open span, insulated and sheeted on inside (probably metal on the inside at least for the first 4 feet up the wall.

Posts: 15221 | Location: Downeast Maine | Registered: March 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Funny Man
Picture of TXJIM
posted Hide Post
Not sure about your area but here that would be metal every time. I mentioned the residential aspect as the “Bardominium” home is very popular here where folks erect a large metal building and then build out all or part of the interior into residential finish out.

This is an example of what we are seeing a lot of on rural property around here:

https://youtu.be/rF_Ka4Rjxzw

Posts: 7093 | Location: Austin, TX | Registered: June 29, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I would look into ICF construction. Extremely fire resistant, earthquake and tornado resistant, etc. On the other hand, used steel warehouse style buildings can sometimes be purchased for free, providing the new owner take them down.

-c1steve

Posts: 4052 | Location: West coast | Registered: March 31, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I don’t have anything to add on cost, but this is fun to watch for shop ideas: https://youtube.com/c/RRBuildings

Posts: 995 | Location: Tampa | Registered: July 27, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Don't Panic
Picture of joel9507
posted Hide Post
Might depend on what is happening with steel construction material prices. Have they gone up as much as lumber? Wood-based construction materials are ridiculous at the moment.

I have a project designed and ready for bids (wood based) but since there's no rush, I am not wasting my contractors' time even getting bids.

Posts: 15027 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: October 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Three Generations
of Service
Picture of PHPaul
posted Hide Post
Well, poop. No matter which way I go, it's WAY out of my budget.

Pole building is a no go as I wanted to finish the inside and heat it for a shop. I guess that's still possible with a pole structure, but by the time I get done with insulation and inside finish, it's still north of $50K around here. That's just stupid money for what is basically a convenience.

Plan A is to do nothing for a while and see if prices normalize a little.

Plan B is to wait until B-i-L moves out and takes his car with him and then move the partition in the garage to give me a 24x24 heated space. This has the advantage of automatically including Plan A. It has the disadvantage of having no timetable. He's #17 on the list for low-income housing.

Plan C is to just suck it up and work out of the same unheated 12x24 space I've worked out of for the last 30 years. I'm 70 FFS, how many shop years do I have left?

W07VH5
Picture of mark123
posted Hide Post
I had a 24' x 24' block foundation, traditional lumber garage put up for $14000. At the time a steel building was quoted at $32000.

The steel guy was surprised that he wasn't beating the traditional built price.

Posts: 45373 | Location: Pennsyltucky | Registered: December 05, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of smlsig
posted Hide Post
Paul I’ve had a construction company for over 37 years which included a metal building franchise.

Metal building only become advantageous when the spans are large or size is over about 5000 SF. For something like a 24’x24’ a pole a pole barn is your cheapest option ( or kick you BIL out..;-) )

Just curious why can’t your BIL’s car be moved outside so you can get your garage back??

------------------
Eddie

Our Founding Fathers were men who understood that the right thing is not necessarily the written thing. -kkina

Posts: 6315 | Location: In transit | Registered: February 19, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Three Generations
of Service
Picture of PHPaul
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by smlsig:
Paul I’ve had a construction company for over 37 years which included a metal building franchise.

Metal building only become advantageous when the spans are large or size is over about 5000 SF. For something like a 24’x24’ a pole a pole barn is your cheapest option ( or kick you BIL out..;-) )

Just curious why can’t your BIL’s car be moved outside so you can get your garage back??

Exactly what I needed to know, thanks!

I could kick the B-i-L's car out, but the fallout wouldn't be worth it. He's been parking in that slot since I built the garage in 1992. Between him and his sister (my wife) I'd be on the wrong side of an "Adverse Possession" situation. Roll Eyes Big Grin

Don't Panic
Picture of joel9507
posted Hide Post
Just got an article from the American Institute of Economic Research on the lumber market craziness: link to full article: "The Lumber Market Delerium"

quote:
Over 75 percent of homeowners surveyed by Porch.com in July 2020 had completed a home improvement project since the beginning of the pandemic. Would-be craftsmen who have waited until now to begin renovations may be out of luck, however––over the past year, the price of lumber has skyrocketed, and home project expenses have risen with them.

From a price of $259.80 per thousand board-feet (the standard unit of lumber trading) on 1 April 2020, on Friday 7 May 2021, the price of lumber had risen to $1,686 per thousand board-feet as the DIY boom coincided with dire challenges to the lumber industry, including increased home building, mill closures, and staffing shortages.

Lumber prices per thousand board-feet (2020–Present)

Again, I can't speak to steel building costs, but this seems a very expensive time to start any wood-based projects that have flexible timeframes.

Edited to create a smaller image.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: joel9507,

Posts: 15027 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: October 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post