SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    New Weber Grill - break in and cleaning? Also a great customer service story, already.
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

New Weber Grill - break in and cleaning? Also a great customer service story, already. Login/Join 
Picture of rangeme101
posted
I grill 4-5 days a week. Been saving for a new grill. Decided early to go with Weber. My last new grill was in 2005 and was a 5 burner Kenmore Elite half stainless half enamel baked finish. Served me well and lasted 10yrs. Firebox finally rusted out. Spent $600 on it new. The last 2 yrs I’ve been grilling on a 2 burner Char-Broil Tru-Red “stainless” grill that I received free from a neighbor. It was 3 yrs old when I got it. Served well but again the firebox rusted out and bottom fell out. So it was time to buy a new grill that would last another couple decades.

Bought a Weber Genesis II E-610. Way more grill than I need but I couldn’t pass up the deal. It’s a $1299 Grill at HD. Well my local store had 4 on an in store only clearance for $749, new in boxes. They were moving inventory for holidays. It’s a current 2017 model and $1299 at all other stores and online. I was at right place right time. The local HD’s do in store only clearance items often. My budget was $500 but I couldn’t resist spending the extra for twice the grill I was originally going for since it was half price. It’s a long term investment and I will definitely utilize its full potential over the years. I was going to buy a Weber Spirit 3 burner with side burner.

Befor I start cooking on this one do you guys recommend any “break-in”? I know I need to burn it for 15-20 minutes to burn off the factory residual, actually Weber recommends this. My question of break in is mainly for the grates. Should I condition them similar to a cast iron pan? Or are they all good to go just keep clean and oil for each cooking?

What do you use for the exterior cleaning? This one is the classic black lid, enamel coating? Also stainless side tables. Weber brand cleaners or another brand?

Cleaning brush for grates? I’m looking at trying the “cold clean” method with hard nylon bristle brush. Or a stainless non-bristle style brush you dunk in water and clean while hot, makes a steam cleaning. No metal bristle brushes, eventually they start falling apart.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d...gb7ZSGP5L&ref=plSrch

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d...jdSDTPIPL&ref=plSrch

WEBER - Customer Service:

Bought the grill on a Thursday in box. Assembled the following Saturday. Noticed a chip in the enamel lid at top of thermostat. Called Weber same day. Guy took my info, asked for a pic and shipped out a new lid. A completely new lid. Said it would take 2 weeks as a drop shipment due to size. Well it showed up a few days later via FedEx ground on Tuesday. Now I have two lids as CS said no need to return damage one. Guy jokingly said use it as a flower pot or whatever I wanted with it. Very nice and friendly rep. That’s CS. Hopefully I won’t need them again but if I do I won’t hesitate to contact them. It has a 10yr on everything Warranty.

Thanks

" like i said,....i didn't build it, i didn't buy it, and i didn't break it."

Posts: 1299 | Location: N. Georgia | Registered: March 23, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Honky Lips
Picture of FenderBender
posted Hide Post
I like to hot clean, I also prefer charcoal.

Posts: 8146 | Registered: July 24, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nosce te ipsum
Picture of Woodman
posted Hide Post
I'd crank it up to 600 degrees for 30 minutes then brush down the grates with olive oil. Let that burn off, then start grilling. Hot dogs are a favorite. And burgers. Maybe reduce the heat and do chicken. Or sausages! Yum! Then there is a marinated flank steak. Or strip steaks. Start the taters first, wrapped in foil! Wink Damn, now I'm hungry.

Tuesday night I burnt off the crap on my brothers grill, gave it a scrape with the spat, and went at it. I'm not entirely sure you are supposed to clean them, though.

Posts: 8759 | Registered: March 24, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post