SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    How strong is a bar like this (1" sq Al)?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

How strong is a bar like this (1" sq Al)? Login/Join 
Picture of konata88
posted
I bought a Malone kayak trailer. It's still being shipped. But I've been reading that the cross bars (65") are a little weak and that some people experience some bending.

Some people have made comments that they've put #5 rebar in the hollow crossbar. I can do that but not sure how to make it such that the rebar doesn't fly out the plastic capped end during turns.

I'm wondering if I might be able to insert something like this into the 1.25" crossbars. But don't know if this would help strengthen the bars in any meaningful manner. Would this help prevent the bars from bending (dynamic load issue?)?

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Ev...ick-801307/204273940

Another choice may be to get a 3rd cross bar set up - would go in between the 2 initial crossbars (48" spread).

"Wrong does not cease to be wrong because the majority share in it." L.Tolstoy
"A government is just a body of people, usually, notably, ungoverned." Shepherd Book

Posts: 12712 | Location: In the gilded cage | Registered: December 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Green grass and
high tides
Picture of old rugged cross
posted Hide Post
I suggested you buy a "real" trailer. Trying to make one out of these is a futile effort. Good luck in the endeavor though Wink

"Practice like you want to play in the game"

Posts: 19155 | Registered: September 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Quit staring at my wife's Butt
Picture of XLT
posted Hide Post
It's strong enough to hold a roll of toilet paper, or maybe a small jacket with the pockets empty. I agree with old rugged cross.

Posts: 5582 | Registered: February 09, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of konata88
posted Hide Post
Hehe. Yea I plan to. I want to buy one that is suited for off road use. General utility (5x8) seemed like it was going to be challenged getting lakeside. But will have to buy used (they seem to be expensive) so I’m learning what to look for, brands and features. Then the hunt. For now, this will have to do for local kayak runs. This seems within my skill level too.

Eventually, will use the off road trailer for kayaks, etc. Then will sell this trailer and buy a Big Tex for other general uses (although may not really need one - UHaul rentals seem cheap for as much as I would need one. 5x8 is $20 for 6 hours?

Would love a small off road cable teardrop that I could sleep in as well as use to carry kayaks.

"A government is just a body of people, usually, notably, ungoverned." Shepherd Book

Posts: 12712 | Location: In the gilded cage | Registered: December 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Drill Here, Drill Now
Picture of tatortodd
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by konata88:
I'm wondering if I might be able to insert something like this into the 1.25" crossbars. But don't know if this would help strengthen the bars in any meaningful manner. Would this help prevent the bars from bending (dynamic load issue?)?

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Ev...ick-801307/204273940
You would be trading one problem (bending) for another - galvanic series corrosion. Your kayak trailer has a galvanized steel frame and attaching unisolated aluminum bars on it will result in corrosion at a very high rate.

Ego is the anesthesia that deadens the pain of stupidity

DISCLAIMER: These are the author's own personal views and do not represent the views of the author's employer.

Posts: 23199 | Location: Northern Suburbs of Houston | Registered: November 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of konata88
posted Hide Post
You guys always amaze. I’ll consider the factory third row cross bar if I see bending with my loads.

His Royal Hiney
Picture of Rey HRH
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by tatortodd:
You would be trading one problem (bending) for another - galvanic series corrosion. Your kayak trailer has a galvanized steel frame and attaching unisolated aluminum bars on it will result in corrosion at a very high rate.

Very nice catch!

"It did not really matter what we expected from life, but rather what life expected from us. We needed to stop asking about the meaning of life, and instead to think of ourselves as those who were being questioned by life – daily and hourly. Our answer must consist not in talk and meditation, but in right action and in right conduct. Life ultimately means taking the responsibility to find the right answer to its problems and to fulfill the tasks which it constantly sets for each individual." Viktor Frankl, Man's Search for Meaning, 1946.

Posts: 19637 | Location: The Free State of Arizona - Ditat Deus | Registered: March 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Blume9mm
posted Hide Post
from what you asked and what you've read the rebar is probably the quickest and easiest solution... it might not stop the bend but it probably won't hurt. How to keep it from coming out? Seal it in with Great Stuff is one option.

The aluminum piece you showed a link to will do nothing. I would not worry about the galvanic corrosion because it is the alumninum that would be eaten up.... and it's not really going to give any support anyway.

The one problem with the rebar idea is if you are going to be dipping the trailer in salt water.... it will rust quick and fast.

My Native American Name:
"Runs with Scissors"

Posts: 4441 | Location: Greenville, SC | Registered: January 30, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
How much load are you putting on the crossbars? I know the Yakima roundbars are rated at 300lbs. I have a tough time getting anywhere close to that with a load of kayaks.

Posts: 2169 | Registered: April 14, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just because you can,
doesn't mean you should
posted Hide Post
How does the cross bar attach? Maybe a larger bar could be installed.
That aluminum bar has very little bending strength.

Posts: 9491 | Location: NE GA | Registered: August 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Savor the limelight
posted Hide Post
I'd wait until I received the trailer, loaded some kayaks and actually used it a couple time before I worried about modifying it. That aluminium bar won't do what you want.

Posts: 10900 | Location: SWFL | Registered: October 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Drill Here, Drill Now
Picture of tatortodd
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Blume9mm:
I would not worry about the galvanic corrosion because it is the alumninum that would be eaten up.... and it's not really going to give any support anyway.
The aluminum will corrode where it contacts steel which is where the load is transferred to the thin aluminum member. When you have corrosion and a load then you’re prone to stress corrosion cracking. Buying the aluminum bar is a waste of money because it’ll snap in a short time period.

DISCLAIMER: These are the author's own personal views and do not represent the views of the author's employer.

Posts: 23199 | Location: Northern Suburbs of Houston | Registered: November 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=94R_D9nLM3Y

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JCpnk5OuzUE

Safety, Situational Awareness and proficiency.

Neck Ties, Hats and ammo brass, Never ,ever touch'em w/o asking first

Posts: 54597 | Location: Henry County , Il | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of konata88
posted Hide Post
quote:
Great Stuff
Interesting - never heard of that before.

Thanks for all the help guys. My load is probably around 160 pounds - not sure what is causing the bar bending that I'm reading on the webz but maybe road bumps and dynamic impacts play a factor here.

The bars are supposed to be able allow for up to 4 kayaks I think. If I'm loading only 2, I need to figure out if I should place the kayaks close together in the middle of the bars or if I should spread them out toward the edges. Edges sounds better from a bar structural capability perspective but not sure if it's good for center of gravity and trailer leaning as I go up and down random inclines on trails.

In any case, Al bars are out. Smile I'll get a 3rd bar if needed and also still consider the rebar.

I never would have guessed about the ineffectiveness of the Al bar nor the corrosion. Thanks!

Drill Here, Drill Now
Picture of tatortodd
posted Hide Post
quote:
I'll get a 3rd bar if needed and also still consider the rebar.
If you get a 3rd bar, I suggest putting it in the frame as close as possible to where the front spring suspension bracket attaches. That is where roughly half the load is transferring to the leaf springs, and the back cross member looks close but it looks like there is a couple feet before a cross member on the front of the spring bracket.

BTW, my first job out of college was as a design engineer for custom heavy haul trailer manufacturer. It's been many years, but I designed dozens and dozens of heavy haul trailers including some really unique trailers like a spent nuclear fuel rod trailer for the navy and molten aluminum hauler for a foundry.

Picture of konata88
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the tip. Looks like a 3rd bar would fit in the suggested area. And attach it to the exterior frame only - not to the mid frame cross member?

Sounds like a cool job - each project is different and unique with interesting problem solving.

Drill Here, Drill Now
Picture of tatortodd
posted Hide Post
quote:
Thanks for the tip. Looks like a 3rd bar would fit in the suggested area. And attach it to the exterior frame only - not to the mid frame cross member?
I'd attach it to both outer frame and "mid frame" just like they do.
quote:
Sounds like a cool job - each project is different and unique with interesting problem solving.
That part was interesting, especially on the steerable trailers. The downside is that since it was custom there were a handful of us in engineering and 30x the people in the fab shop. If delivery priority changed we could go from being a couple weeks ahead of production to giving up our nights and weekends in the span of one meeting. Lots of short term layoffs in the fab shop blamed on us if management changed delivery priority.f

Fortunately, the oil & gas company I had interned at realized they had downsized too far and tracked me down.

posted Hide Post
I think the trailer will be plenty strong enough. You’re only carrying 160 or so pounds of kayaks. The bars probably get bent from 200 lb guys standing on the trailer to load, strap, or unload the kayaks.

Posts: 21335 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Greymann
posted Hide Post
Maybe try a 1" hardwood dowel and epoxy inside your tubing.

Posts: 1549 | Location: New Mexico | Registered: March 21, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Find a small weld shop. 1. They will know how to weld the galvanized joints. 2. Short welds, say 2” long, will tremendously strengthen the whole trailer. 3. They could put a longer tongue on the trailer (say 4-5’) making it a whole lot easier to back up.

When all is done, soak some thinned Rustoleum paint into the weld joints.

A bolted together trailer is a good sales item. Cheap, easy to pack/ship and short life span - so they sell more of them. Consider it a good start, then welded and customized to your needs and they will long outlive their expected lifespan. Mine was a full boat trailer. Rollers removed, metal gratings welded on. Tie things on anywhere on the grating, carries canoes, motorcycles, lumber, ladders, etc. long tongue pulls and backs beautifully.

Probably not a good idea to try and back up with yours attached to the vehicle.

Posts: 2130 | Location: south central Pennsylvania | Registered: November 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post