SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Question (poll) for members w/ spouses, Re: stuff accumulation
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Question (poll) for members w/ spouses, Re: stuff accumulation Login/Join 
Conservative Behind
Enemy Lines
Picture of synthplayer
posted Hide Post
My answer is "The Spouse, " but I know exactly why.

I found what you said riveting.

Posts: 10705 | Location: SF Bay Area | Registered: June 06, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I secretly throw out a lot of my wife's old stuff and she never even notices.
In the rare case that she asks about it, I just accuse her of age-related memory loss about where she hid it.

"Crom is strong! If I die, I have to go before him, and he will ask me, 'What is the riddle of steel?' If I don't know it, he will cast me out of Valhalla and laugh at me."

Posts: 6641 | Registered: September 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I just remembered,
I gotta neighbor that has not been able to anything in his 1967 chest freezer for four years,
its full to the top,
looks to be about a 20 cu.ft.

I would bet that it has stuff in the bottom from 1975 or so, thats when one of his parents passed away

Safety, Situational Awareness and proficiency.

Neck Ties, Hats and ammo brass, Never ,ever touch'em w/o asking first

Posts: 54637 | Location: Henry County , Il | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The guy behind the guy
Picture of esdunbar
posted Hide Post
The only thing I am unhappy with my wife about is her inability to get rid of something. It actually causes more frustration at home than I wish it did.

Our house has shit stuffed everywhere and too much clutter. I hate having anything on my kitchen counters. I come home from work and want to order a dumpster at least twice a week.

If I haven’t used it in a year and can’t tell you when I’m going to use it in the next year, I’ll toss it.

She’ll keep it if she thinks we might use it in like 30 years Roll Eyes

Posts: 7548 | Registered: April 19, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
eh-TEE-oh-clez
Picture of Aeteocles
posted Hide Post
I have more stuff, but it's because I have more hobbies. There's gun stuff, camping stuff, camera stuff, computer stuff, and workshop stuff. My wife has no hobbies besides trashy reality TV and hosting dinner parties, so she doesn't collect stuff besides a handful of cake tiers, some table settings, and platters.

She's pretty much an anti-hoarder. She hates it when I buy pantry items that we can't immediately use. She insists on running out of stuff before we replace it (she runs her tank down to near empty before she decides to add fuel).

I try to limit the amount of stuff I accumulate by making sure I sell some old stuff before buying new stuff, aggressively repairing the things I do have so that they're always in working order (I don't like having piles of non-functioning junk that I'll get around to "fixing" one day), and trying really hard to never have duplicates of things. If I have two pocket knives, they better serve two different philosophies of use.

Posts: 13048 | Location: Orange County, California | Registered: May 19, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of arflattop
posted Hide Post
My wife says I'm an "accumulator". Guess that's why I have two barns, a corn crib and separate gun room in the basement!

JPFO Life Member

Posts: 1216 | Location: Heartland of KY | Registered: January 24, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Big Grin
If I am headed that way , may I drop off a pick up load ? Big Grin Wink

Safety, Situational Awareness and proficiency.

Neck Ties, Hats and ammo brass, Never ,ever touch'em w/o asking first

Posts: 54637 | Location: Henry County , Il | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Age Quod Agis
Picture of ArtieS
posted Hide Post
We live on a horse farm and have garages and barns full of stuff. We don't toss it, because it eventually gets used. Need a pressure treat 1x6 to fix something? Got that. Got the nails or screws as appropriate, too.

Electric fence down? Got the specialized tools to deal with that, and test it afterwards.

Hydraulics out on the tractor. Got it.

I'd love to have less stuff, but I use what I have, even if it's sometimes years between uses.

"I vowed to myself to fight against evil more completely and more wholeheartedly than I ever did before. . . . That’s the only way to pay back part of that vast debt, to live up to and try to fulfill that tremendous obligation."

Alfred Hornik, Sunday, December 2, 1945 to his family, on his continuing duty to others for surviving WW II.

Posts: 12776 | Location: Central Florida | Registered: November 02, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Sometimes it depends on proximity and age
. I am within 3 mile of a Home Depot, Lowes and Menards. This year I started throwing things away with a vengeance. I have things unused for 40 years. With failing eyesight, do I ever expect to use my spray guns to auto paint ? What about the router and bits I bought in my early 20's and have never used ? Tools, clothes, especially books, blankets, appliances. The more I toss, the more I want to toss. It is addictive

Posts: 1403 | Registered: November 07, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Resident Knuckledragger
Picture of IndyRob
posted Hide Post
I am a minimalist, I have my tools, clothes, firearms and electronics.

Wifey is a crafter, and exotic animal breeder. We have totes upon totes upon totes of shit that I'd absolutely love to rent a dumpster to toss out.

Posts: 7358 | Location: Greater Indianapolis Area | Registered: October 14, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post