SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    I need to know a fair price for spraying weeds - was blessed this morning
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

I need to know a fair price for spraying weeds - was blessed this morning Login/Join 
Recondite Raider
Picture of lizardman_u
posted
So this morning I am having my first cup of coffee and the pastor of the Baptist church shows up with a backpack sprayer on his back to spray weeds. My mother-in-law attends there, and she asked him once many months ago if she could borrow the sprayer.

So this morning unannounced here he is at my front door.

He sprayed the back yard which is about 40 x 100 feet.

My question is what is the labor and spray worth so I can make a donation to his church as he won't take anything from me.

Usually I make arrangements to either pay for services, or trade services for services, and I am not used to receiving gifts of time and labor.

Also I usually get out the diesel and a match and burn the back yard off due to the nature of the weeds (goat heads, tumbleweed - Russian Thistle, and other weeds).

If I know the approximate value I can either put a donation in the church box, or do something nice for him and his wife.

You see I give better than I receive gifts.

Thank you for looking at this and for any input.

This morning I am feeling humbled.

Posts: 3564 | Location: Boardman, Oregon | Registered: September 19, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Man Once
Child Twice
posted Hide Post
Buy him a 50.00 cert for a restaurant for him and his wife.

Posts: 11148 | Location: NE OHIO | Registered: October 22, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I would guess $30-50 depending on what labor prices go for in your area.

Posts: 21335 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Loves His Wife
Picture of BRL
posted Hide Post
How long did it take him? I'd imagine if someone came to do that there would be a minimum charge, probably $75 plus materials of another $10-$25.

I am not BIPOLAR. I don't even like bears.

Posts: 12932 | Location: Western WI | Registered: January 05, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
You see I give better than I receive gifts.

Yep. There is your answer. Say thank you and pay it forward.

Posts: 17222 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fire for effect
posted Hide Post
It's probable that the pastor would rather give than receive, also. Don't give him something directly like a gift certificate.
If you decide to make a donation to his church, give want you want to give, and don't tell him about it. Just do it. Enjoy this little blessing.

"Ride to the sound of the big guns."

Posts: 7210 | Location: South Georgia | Registered: May 13, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Your a good man, yeah thinking something like 50.

NRA Life Endowment member
Tri-State Gun collectors Life Member

Posts: 2794 | Location: Ohio | Registered: December 18, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Recondite Raider
Picture of lizardman_u
posted Hide Post
Thank you all for the input. It is greatly appreciated.

Posts: 3564 | Location: Boardman, Oregon | Registered: September 19, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His Royal Hiney
Picture of Rey HRH
posted Hide Post
Are you a good handy man type? Most churches have a volunteer day or something.

"It did not really matter what we expected from life, but rather what life expected from us. We needed to stop asking about the meaning of life, and instead to think of ourselves as those who were being questioned by life – daily and hourly. Our answer must consist not in talk and meditation, but in right action and in right conduct. Life ultimately means taking the responsibility to find the right answer to its problems and to fulfill the tasks which it constantly sets for each individual." Viktor Frankl, Man's Search for Meaning, 1946.

Posts: 19646 | Location: The Free State of Arizona - Ditat Deus | Registered: March 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lawyers, Guns
and Money
Picture of chellim1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Also I usually get out the diesel and a match and burn the back yard off due to the nature of the weeds (goat heads, tumbleweed - Russian Thistle, and other weeds).

Really?
If you want a decent lawn you should use a 4 step program. It's not hard. You just have to stay with it.

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible."
-- Justice Janice Rogers Brown

"The United States government is the largest criminal enterprise on earth."
-rduckwor

Posts: 24066 | Location: St. Louis, MO | Registered: April 03, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Recondite Raider
Picture of lizardman_u
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by chellim1:
quote:

Really?
If you want a decent lawn you should use a 4 step program. It's not hard. You just have to stay with it.

I don't want a lawn back there as around here we get tumbleweed which will grow in the yard as they jump the fence (six foot chain link), goat heads, foxtail grass, and other unwanted plants as the seed is brought in by flying birds, cats, and the occasional skunk that gets under the gate not to mention the common 30-45 mph wind that come from the west (and out back yard is on the west side of the house).

I have had to re-shingle the west side of the house due to the wind blowing most of the second layer off one year.

Eventually there might be some grass in the back, but for now I am going to plant a yellow sweet clover.

I am grateful that the pastor came over and sprayed the weeds as keeping the weeds down is something we try to do as it allows me to more easily spot the red ant hills, and unwanted plants coming up.

posted Hide Post
Cover it with black tarps for 2 weeks and everything underneath will be dead.

Posts: 21335 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post