SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    tacfoley, could you verify this video please?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

tacfoley, could you verify this video please? Login/Join 
Purveyor of
Fine Avatars
Picture of Orguss
posted
This guy is showing 9 custom license plates in Britain that amount to 1.5MM Pounds. Are these prices actually charged by your DMV or are these priced high due to being auctioned?

https://youtu.be/Z610IKfnsbE

"I'm yet another resource-consuming kid in an overpopulated planet raised to an alarming extent by Hollywood and Madison Avenue, poised with my cynical and alienated peers to take over the world when you're old and weak!" - Calvin, "Calvin & Hobbes"

Posts: 18023 | Location: Sonoma County, CA | Registered: April 09, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
half-genius,
half-wit
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Orguss:
This guy is showing 9 custom license plates in Britain that amount to 1.5MM Pounds. Are these prices actually charged by your DMV or are these priced high due to being auctioned?

https://youtu.be/Z610IKfnsbE

These are genuine items sold in auction to some stupid person with way too much money.

Here in UK the vehicle licensing is completely different to that of the USA.

Each vehicle is registered with the DVLA - Drivers and Vehicle Licensing Authority. There is only one such authority in the UK, although Northern Ireland has a numerically different licensing system.

Basically, here in mainland UK, a vehicle will have a number plate - front white with black letters and numbers, rear yellow with black etc. This colour scheme dates back to 1975 before which it was white/silver on back.

Modern plates carry an county or metropolitan identifying first letter, where I live in East Anglia is is A, followed by any other letter of the alphabet except Q or I, two numbers, giving the last two numbers of the date of registration [which changes every six months] and three random letters - like AD54 NKO [I made that up, BTW].

'Special' number plates are those that just happen to say something to the person who buys them - the DVLA has millions of them from scrapped vehicles of all types going back to 1901, remember, and they either release them, as and when, or they change hands between dealers, as you see. They can be simple names like EDD1E, or something else like B3BOP, MUS1C, COM1C, R1FLE or similar. A pal of mine, a former RAF pilot, has FLY 1T, for which he paid a huge but undisclosed amount of money. One over-rich buffoon in London has the world's only blue Ferrari F40, and the plate F40 BLU. So long as it not religious or offensive [yes, PEN1S exists], it is permitted, BUT the original registration number is there forever in the archives. The seller of a car with a 'cherished number plate' can sell the vehicle at a premium with the new number, or sell it as originally registered, retaining the cherished number plate to sell to some other mug.

Favourites are BMW ---, MG ----, AM ----, and so on. The famous percussionist, Dame Evelyn Glennie, lives in the village, and she has 4EV, which must have originated in the very early days of motor vehicle licensing, and probably cost her about £100,000 at the very least. It's on a Prius.

Does that explain it all to you? I have a Porsche Boxster, and by a complete coincidence it has the first letters of BX then a zero and the rest of the plate. I've been offered £5000 for the number plate and its registration by a Porsche fan who is plainly dyslexic, but who cares a lot more than I do. about such things. The 'change of plate' costs about $110, BTW.

tac

Posts: 11315 | Location: UK, OR, ONT | Registered: July 10, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Mensch
Picture of kz1000
posted Hide Post
Not Tac, but https://www.regtransfers.co.uk/

------------------------------------------------------------------------
"Yidn, shreibt un fershreibt"

"The Nazis entered this war under the rather childish delusion that they were going to bomb everyone else, and nobody was going to bomb them. At Rotterdam, London, Warsaw and half a hundred other places, they put their rather naive theory into operation. They sowed the wind, and now they are going to reap the whirlwind."
-Bomber Harris

Posts: 16120 | Location: Ivorydale | Registered: January 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
half-genius,
half-wit
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by kz1000:
Not Tac, but https://www.regtransfers.co.uk/

Thanks for posting that. Saves me looking.

tac

Posts: 11315 | Location: UK, OR, ONT | Registered: July 10, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Cat Whisperer
Picture of cmr076
posted Hide Post
quote:
o much money.

Here in UK the vehicle licensing is completely different to that of the USA.

the same thing goes on in Dubai, Kuwait, etc.

http://money.cnn.com/2016/10/3...se-plates/index.html

------------------------------------

├┼┼╕
246R

Posts: 3901 | Location: SE PA | Registered: November 13, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
quote:
[yes, PEN1S exists], it is permitted,

Now I wonder, Which former member of Top Gear has that on his vehicle.....

Posts: 23381 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Purveyor of
Fine Avatars
Picture of Orguss
posted Hide Post
More specifically, I'm asking if all custom plates cost a lot of money. If they cost in the U.S. as much as in the video, I certainly would never have had the four custom plates I've had over the years.

"I'm yet another resource-consuming kid in an overpopulated planet raised to an alarming extent by Hollywood and Madison Avenue, poised with my cynical and alienated peers to take over the world when you're old and weak!" - Calvin, "Calvin & Hobbes"

Posts: 18023 | Location: Sonoma County, CA | Registered: April 09, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Cat Whisperer
Picture of cmr076
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by HRK:
quote:
[yes, PEN1S exists], it is permitted,

Now I wonder, Which former member of Top Gear has that on his vehicle.....

a friend has "8UTT-53X" on her car

------------------------------------

├┼┼╕
246R

Posts: 3901 | Location: SE PA | Registered: November 13, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
I certainly would never have had the four custom plates I've had over the years.

Just curious. What do your custom plates say?

Posts: 17222 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His Royal Hiney
Picture of Rey HRH
posted Hide Post
shoot! Talk about ultimate vanity plates.

While having had vanity plates myself, I don't get the vanity plates that equal the name of the car like BENZ or MAZDA or whatever model the car is.

"It did not really matter what we expected from life, but rather what life expected from us. We needed to stop asking about the meaning of life, and instead to think of ourselves as those who were being questioned by life – daily and hourly. Our answer must consist not in talk and meditation, but in right action and in right conduct. Life ultimately means taking the responsibility to find the right answer to its problems and to fulfill the tasks which it constantly sets for each individual." Viktor Frankl, Man's Search for Meaning, 1946.

Posts: 19645 | Location: The Free State of Arizona - Ditat Deus | Registered: March 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thank you, Tac. My wife and I have been watching British historical pieces (Foley's War, Call The Midwife, Hercule Poirot, etc) and this answers a lot of the questions we have had.

Posts: 17136 | Location: Lexington, KY | Registered: October 15, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post