SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    well cats do land on their feet, my poor little guy
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

well cats do land on their feet, my poor little guy Login/Join 
Total Clown Shoes
posted
So my cat in all his awesomeness was rolling around on the front porch area and kinda rolled off. I had a heart attack since we are on the third floor. He was just running around scared but perfectly fine. He took a 20-30 foot fall and has no issues that I can tell, is there anything I should check on or look out for? It was a big fall. Im still kind of in shock he is such a great kitty and I want to make sure he is ok.

Posts: 414 | Registered: November 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Cat Whisperer
Picture of cmr076
posted Hide Post
We put chicken wire up on the bottom of our porch to avoid those issues. I'd feel him all over in the morning and make sure nothing's uncomfortable or painful, and if it is take him to the emergency vet.

------------------------------------

├┼┼╕
246R

Posts: 3901 | Location: SE PA | Registered: November 13, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Move Up or
Move Over
posted Hide Post
CMR, you are a cat whisperer who is also a cat whisperer?

Posts: 4954 | Location: middle Tennessee | Registered: October 28, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Non-Miscreant
posted Hide Post
Feed the kitty some people tuna. They seem to really like it. Then don't worry.

Unhappy ammo seeker

Posts: 18387 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: February 25, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Leave the gun.
Take the cannoli.
posted Hide Post
It's unlikely he'll make the same mistake twice. They're not stupid like most people Big Grin

Posts: 6634 | Location: New England | Registered: January 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of msfzoe
posted Hide Post
They have a very flexible spinal column and can successfully absorb quite a jolt.
Although 30' is quite a drop.
Hope your kitty has no ill effects.

Posts: 2422 | Location: newyorkistan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His diet consists of black
coffee, and sarcasm.
Picture of egregore
posted Hide Post
Watch for signs of pain like limping, or for running off and hiding, which some cats will do when sick or injured. But from what I've read so far it doesn't sound that way.

Posts: 27914 | Location: Johnson City, TN | Registered: April 28, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Now and Zen
Picture of clubleaf206
posted Hide Post
I recall reading an article once that stated that the higher the fall the more likely the cat will land on its feet, because it has time to determine up from down and can situate itself for landing. There have been witnessed occasions of cats surviving falls of fifty feet, apparently their bodies catch the air, they become sort of furry parachutes and it slows their descent.

Posts: 12178 | Location: The untamed wilds of Kansas | Registered: August 25, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Total Clown Shoes
posted Hide Post
This big guy is getting treats and seems to be fine. Not hiding and seems completely normal lol I think I'm in worse shape over it than he is. I will keep a close eye on him though and some yummy food will be had tonight.

Posts: 414 | Registered: November 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I lived in a 5 story apartment building when I was stationed in Italy. I lived on the third floor. It was not unusual to see my neighbors Siamese cat go hurtling by on his way to the ground. The cat resided on the fourth floor and would jump at passing birds and sail off the balcony.
He did it multiple times, without injury.
Stupid, but durable.

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16059 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Smarter than the
average bear
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by clubleaf206:
I recall reading an article once that stated that the higher the fall the more likely the cat will land on its feet, because it has time to determine up from down and can situate itself for landing. There have been witnessed occasions of cats surviving falls of fifty feet, apparently their bodies catch the air, they become sort of furry parachutes and it slows their descent.

It doesn't take much height for a cat to make the maneuver. If you like science, watch this from "smarter every day" on how it is accomplished:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RtWbpyjJqrU

Posts: 3435 | Location: Baton Rouge, Louisiana | Registered: June 20, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Stangosaurus Rex
Picture of Tommydogg
posted Hide Post
Well, he'll yeah! Awesome stunt cat you got there

Beth Greene

Posts: 7841 | Location: South Florida | Registered: January 09, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Administrator
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by YooperSigs:
...go hurtling by on his way to the ground. The cat resided on the fourth floor and would jump at passing birds and sail off the balcony.
Stupid, but durable.

Sounds like he was manufactured by Mikoyan-and-Gurevich.

Posts: 17733 | Registered: August 12, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Check its teeth, Our cat had an almsot identical situation, rolled out a window on our 3rd floor apartment and stuck the landing 10/10 but the poor girl knocked a tooth out.

Posts: 5082 | Location: Alaska | Registered: June 12, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
Cats have a remarkable skeletal structure, which, if they land on their paws, properly, allows them to survive landing on the ground from unbelievable heights. He's probably ok, but, it probably wouldn't hurt to have your vet check him out.

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Alienator
Picture of SIG4EVA
posted Hide Post
They will be fine. When I was growing up, we had a wrap around porch and also a basement. The cat dropped from rail down 20ft. Scared the crap out of me but they are pretty stout for falling.

SIG556 Classic
P220 Carry SAS Gen 2 SAO
SP2022 9mm German Triple Serial
P938 SAS
P365 FDE

Psalm 118:24 "This is the day which the Lord hath made; we will rejoice and be glad in it"

Posts: 7069 | Location: NC | Registered: March 16, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Hop head
Picture of lyman
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by YooperSigs:
I lived in a 5 story apartment building when I was stationed in Italy. I lived on the third floor. It was not unusual to see my neighbors Siamese cat go hurtling by on his way to the ground. The cat resided on the fourth floor and would jump at passing birds and sail off the balcony.
Stupid, but durable.

the mental images I had reading this made me chuckle

https://www.chesterfieldarmament.com/

Posts: 10417 | Location: Beach VA,not VA Beach | Registered: July 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Expert308
posted Hide Post
My sister once lived in a 5th floor apartment with a balcony. Her cat would lay out on the balcony, outside of the railing. One day he was (probably) sleeping there and just rolled off the edge. She was working at the time and didn't see it happen. He was killed on impact, but nobody knows whether he landed on his feet or not. If he was asleep when he fell off, he might not have had time to realize the situation and right himself.

Posts: 7260 | Location: Idaho | Registered: February 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Drill Here, Drill Now
Picture of tatortodd
posted Hide Post
When I lived in SoCal, I lived in a 2nd story condo with its own private ground level entrance. The top of the half wall around the stairs was painted in gloss paint.

The first time I brought the cats there, my little one sees the half wall and the window behind it with 25 mile views. She runs full speed, leaps up on the half wall, and slides off (remember the glossy paint). She fell 10 feet, landed on her feet, walked back up the stairs, and the 3 years I lived there I never saw her take a running leap up on the half wall again. She leapt up there everyday, but she did it standing still next to the half wall.

Ego is the anesthesia that deadens the pain of stupidity

DISCLAIMER: These are the author's own personal views and do not represent the views of the author's employer.

Posts: 23194 | Location: Northern Suburbs of Houston | Registered: November 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Chip away the stone
Picture of rusbro
posted Hide Post
Several years ago our dog treed a cat in a pecan tree in our back yard. The cat either fell or jumped from 15-20ft, hit the ground, made it to the cyclone fence, and went up and over, all in the blink of an eye. They are tough as nails.

Posts: 11597 | Registered: August 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post