SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Rest in Peace, Charles Emerson Winchester III.
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Rest in Peace, Charles Emerson Winchester III. Login/Join 
Membership has its privileges
Picture of P-220
posted Hide Post
Very sad.

Our neighborhood had a farewell to M*A*S*H party to view the final episode.

Charles brought a unique character to the show, IMO.

R.I.P. Frown

Niech Zyje P-220

Steve

Posts: 36840 | Location: 45174 | Registered: December 09, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Semper Fi - 1775
Picture of Ronin1069
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Sig2340:

Link to original video: https://youtu.be/ijEiwBLCXeo

Sig2340

Thank you! That is hands-down one of my favorite MASH scenes ever. I completely understand what Charles is saying. I can play the guitar, but then when I listen to someone like Joe Saturani or Slash, I quickly realized the difference between being able to play the notes, vs. being able to "play" music.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Posts: 12330 | Location: Belly of the Beast | Registered: January 02, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
RIP, thanks for a great show.

Officers lives matter!

Posts: 3265 | Location: Arkansas | Registered: February 12, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of erj_pilot
posted Hide Post
Really sad news to wake up to. The episodes y'all have mentioned hit home for me as well...his character struck a nerve in those scenes that touch the soul of humanity and the very essence of life.

RIP, MAJ Charles Emerson Winchester III... Frown

"If you’re a leader, you lead the way. Not just on the easy ones; you take the tough ones too…” – MAJ Richard D. Winters (1918-2011), E Company, 2nd Battalion, 506th Parachute Infantry Regiment, 101st Airborne

"Woe to those who call evil good, and good evil... Therefore, as tongues of fire lick up straw and as dry grass sinks down in the flames, so their roots will decay and their flowers blow away like dust; for they have rejected the law of the Lord Almighty and spurned the word of the Holy One of Israel." - Isaiah 5:20,24

Posts: 11066 | Location: NW Houston | Registered: April 04, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
teacher of history
Picture of maxwayne
posted Hide Post
I believe that was the same show.

quote:
Originally posted by Ronin1069:
quote:
Originally posted by archerman:
My favorite episode was the Christmas one, where radar had his mom (Maj. Winchesters mom) send one of his toboggan stocking hats to him...

That one has always stuck in my memory

My other favorite Christmas one was the one where he gave all his fine chocolates to the orphanage and they sold them for rice. Klinger later brought him food and let him know of the "family tradition".

Posts: 5619 | Location: Central Illinois | Registered: March 04, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
An investment in knowledge
pays the best interest
posted Hide Post
What made CEW III so special on Mash was the depth of his character & that he was on many occasion Hawkeye’s equal.
RIP, Dear Sir.

Posts: 3362 | Location: Mid-Atlantic | Registered: December 27, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
delicately calloused
Picture of darthfuster
posted Hide Post
"I do one thing at a time. I do it very well. And then I move on."

You’re a lying dog-faced pony soldier

Posts: 29695 | Location: Highland, Ut. | Registered: May 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
Everyone will remember him for MASH, but he narrated quite a few PBS shows, including a couple of dozen episodes of The American Experience. Many of you have seen these episodes and don't know that it was his voice you were hearing.

Posts: 107576 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
first the curse of Bonanza and now this!

Safety, Situational Awareness and proficiency.

Neck Ties, Hats and ammo brass, Never ,ever touch'em w/o asking first

Posts: 54637 | Location: Henry County , Il | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
His love of fine classical music was not just on the show.
He was a associate conductor of several symphony and orchestra events.

Posts: 1153 | Location: western, Washington | Registered: November 04, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of kg5388
posted Hide Post
RIP

I enjoyed him as the mayor in Doc Holiday

Posts: 1846 | Location: Tennessee | Registered: January 05, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SIG 229R:

I also liked him much much better than Burns.

Playing a less than likable character is a heavy lift for an actor. Larry Linville worked really hard at being a jerk. I never felt like he got enough credit. Major Winchester was a great addition, unfortunately, he joined the show when Alan Alda was asserting more control in the direction of the show. Less funny, more liberal and preachy.

True M*A*S*H nerds might draw the delineation between Henry Blake and Potter. For me, the show started going downhill as soon as BJ grew his mustache.

Posts: 958 | Registered: October 07, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by cas:
And Lane Myer's dad. Wink

He was a great jerk on MASH.

Good catch cas!!! I just watched Better off Dead a couple weeks ago.

Posts: 4055 | Registered: January 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
teacher of history
Picture of maxwayne
posted Hide Post
Larry Linville use to do a lot of summer stock in the town I live in. A friend of mine, who worked at the local radio station also did acting and got to know "Frank Burns" very well. He said he was a really nice guy. He told my friend that doing the part of Burns would destroy any chances for future roles, but he did it anyhow.

Posts: 5619 | Location: Central Illinois | Registered: March 04, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of RobertFBurnett
posted Hide Post
"I do one thing at a time, I do it very well, and then I move on." Winchester on his approach to surgery.

I don't know why but that line has always stuck with me.

Posts: 1430 | Location: San Fernando Valley, CA | Registered: January 11, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
RIP Major. He made MASH more bearable!

Posts: 507 | Registered: February 14, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fortified with Sleestak
Picture of thunderson
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Spokane228:

Playing a less than likable character is a heavy lift for an actor. Larry Linville worked really hard at being a jerk. I never felt like he got enough credit. <snip>

I agree. Linville had to do something with a character first brought to the screen by Robert Duvall, and make it work as a sitcom. Frankly, I think he did very well.

Stiers had the chance to bring a whole new character to life and make it his own. He did that and more. In fact, in many scenes he was the best actor in the room.

I have the heart of a lion.......and a lifetime ban from the Toronto Zoo.- Unknown

Posts: 5371 | Location: Shenandoah Valley, VA | Registered: November 05, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post