SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Weatherproofing an existing shed?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Weatherproofing an existing shed? Login/Join 
Striker in waiting
Picture of BurtonRW
posted
Is it possible to weatherproof an existing shed? Standard wood construction, open studs inside, open eaves (soffits consist of chicken wire), double doors.

Asking b/c we're looking at houses and Mrs.BurtonRW wants to know the feasibility of weatherproofing an existing shed - rather large - for storage of things that are currently in our attic (which is climate controlled with the rest of our house).

In other words - can I seal the thing against weather and all manner of vermin (including insects), add a dehumidifier, and some sort of basic HVAC? It is fully wired - electricity is no problem. I'm mostly concerned about the sealing it up part.

Thanks.

-Rob

I predict that there will be many suggestions and statements about the law made here, and some of them will be spectacularly wrong. - jhe888

A=A

Posts: 16263 | Location: Maryland, AA Co. | Registered: March 16, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Paddle your
own canoe
Picture of BigWhup
posted Hide Post
I would think as you describe it, that is just an "unfinished" house, so a home contractor or carpenter should be able to finish it out and repair/replace any components that are deficient in regard to the vermin issue.

That being said, I would worry that I wouldn't give it as much attention regarding maintenance as I do my home, thus letting things slide and losing the integrity of safe storage.

Posts: 1552 | Location: South Carolina | Registered: August 06, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Certified All Positions
Picture of arcwelder
posted Hide Post
Can you button up a shed so that insects and animals don't get in? Sure. As far as "weatherproof," do you mean creating a stable temperature inside? I mean, you can do that, but it's going to be an energy pig unless you really insulate it. Putting a dehumidifier and heating/cooling in an otherwise uninsulated space will make the meter spin.

Making a shed so it can store the same type of things people typically put in an attic... not so much. Unless you live in a place with stable humidity and no wild temperature swings, things like clothes, books, photos, anything sensitive to humidity that is too high or two low, and temperature swings... don't put that stuff in a shed.

Arc.
"You're a junkyard dog." - Lupe Flores. RIP

Posts: 27000 | Location: On fire, off the shoulder of Orion | Registered: June 09, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Conveniently located directly
above the center of the Earth
Picture of signewt
posted Hide Post
Our place had an old root cellar from the WW2 era dug part way into the hillside with a few cement walls & floor. A little redesigning, a new roof covered by membrane, 2"+ spray foam, it's pretty comfy. Well water pressure tanks inside & canned goods. The spray foam now at 20+ years past install, it still keeps the place about 20 degrees warmer in winter & 20 lower in summer.

About 18x18, good space for storage & hobby bench. No practical way to keep heavy rainy season from seeping onto floor from hillside & 80 year old concrete. Dry most the year but anything you really want to keep needs tighter controls. I'm rural so this serves the need quite well, as other outbuildings are tighter.

Finally had to get the ant control folks signed up for duty.

**************~~~~~~~~~~
"I've been on this rock too long to bother with these liars any more."
~SIGforum advisor~
"When the pain of staying the same outweighs the pain of change, then change will come."~~sigmonkey

Posts: 9849 | Location: sunny Orygun | Registered: September 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Green grass and
high tides
Picture of old rugged cross
posted Hide Post
I gonna say it depends. A shed as you describe might be a real challenge to keep insects and varmint's out and seal it up. Climate control is going to problematic with no ceiling in it. What kind of a foundation and floor is there?

Sure, A lot can be done but how much $ do you want to spend?

"Practice like you want to play in the game"

Posts: 19111 | Registered: September 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post