SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    PA EZPass Changes
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

PA EZPass Changes Login/Join 
Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted
WTF is this bullshit? The light that goes green when your EZPass is read is a great feature I always thought? Now it's illegal according to the Feds?

Got this email today, this is a part of it:

quote:

IMPORTANT - Changes for PTC E-ZPass Customers

We’re writing to notify you of important changes to the E-ZPass system that will be made by the Pennsylvania Turnpike Commission (Commission or PTC) starting this month. The Commission will begin installing new Electronic Toll Collection (ETC) equipment at toll plazas. The new equipment will be installed incrementally through the end of the calendar year; it is part of the Commission’s strategic plan to upgrade our toll technology infrastructure.

How will this change affect me?
As the Commission prepared to update toll equipment in the lanes, we were required to incorporate new Federal Highway Administration standards. The biggest change that E-ZPass customers will notice is the removal of the Feedback Signal or Traffic Light that customers have used to verify their transponder was read. Federal guidelines prohibit the use of such signals at toll plazas. No change is ever “E-Z,” and this one is no exception. The Commission has been advising E-ZPass customers to look for the signal over the past 16 years, and we understand their removal may cause some initial confusion...

Uh, yeah. Ya think?
Roll Eyes

Posts: 33604 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: November 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
This Space for Rent
Picture of ugeesta
posted Hide Post
If they bump the speed limit to highway speeds when passing through, this is a good thing. Be like Denver and get rid of the toll booth in its entirety.

We will never know world peace, until three people can simultaneously look each other straight in the eye

Liberals are like pussycats and Twitter is Trump's laser pointer to keep them busy while he takes care of business - Rey HRH.

Posts: 5745 | Location: Colorado | Registered: April 20, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Seeker of Clarity
Picture of r0gue
posted Hide Post
why the hell would it be against fed law? Wait wait! I know. It's because the state is getting into the business of "Interstate Commerce"! we all know that's reserved for the Federal Government in the Constitution! Smile

Posts: 11354 | Registered: August 02, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Chances are it's got something to do with the fact that they used a traffic light. They just updated the EZ Pass lanes in the Delaware River Bridges into Trenton to do something similar.

Posts: 500 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: December 27, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just for the
hell of it
Picture of comet24
posted Hide Post
They should really make lanes where you don't have to slow down. Readers are above the road like large road signs.

We have some new toll roads in MD and VA and both use this techknowledge. 100% better then the old systems. No toll both.

If you don't have a EZ Pass they use you plate and send you a bill. It's a little more though. That's the only issue but just get an EZ Pass.

I drive the Dulles Toll Road in VA a few times a month and can not believe the number of people at times waiting in line at the lanes to pay with cash. Sometimes those line look like the are 1/2 mile long with 2 or 3 toll station open. I just drive right through the EZ Pass lanes.

Because in the end, you won’t remember the time you spent working in the office or mowing your lawn. Climb that goddamn mountain. Jack Kerouac

Posts: 16378 | Registered: March 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Only the strong survive
Picture of 41
posted Hide Post
Well..the Dulles Toll Roadway was just suppose to be temporary until the road construction was paid off......that was many years ago...like 27+ or more. You see how that worked out. Mad

At first is it was about 25 cents the full length and I have no idea how much it is now since I haven't used it since 1992.

Posts: 11828 | Location: Herndon, VA | Registered: June 11, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Web Clavin Extraordinaire
Picture of Oat_Action_Man
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by comet24:
They should really make lanes where you don't have to slow down. Readers are above the road like large road signs.

We have some new toll roads in MD and VA and both use this techknowledge. 100% better then the old systems. No toll both.

If you don't have a EZ Pass they use you plate and send you a bill. It's a little more though. That's the only issue but just get an EZ Pass.

I drive the Dulles Toll Road in VA a few times a month and can not believe the number of people at times waiting in line at the lanes to pay with cash. Sometimes those line look like the are 1/2 mile long with 2 or 3 toll station open. I just drive right through the EZ Pass lanes.

There are at-speed tolls around SE PA, but not everywhere, just some of the large interchanges like 476 to 276, but strangely enough there isn't one at the gargantuan TP entrance/exit at KOP. Go figure.

----------------------------

Chuck Norris put the laughter in "manslaughter"

Educating the youth of America, one declension at a time.

Posts: 19837 | Location: SE PA | Registered: January 12, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ol' Jack always says...
what the hell.
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by hile:
Chances are it's got something to do with the fact that they used a traffic light. They just updated the EZ Pass lanes in the Delaware River Bridges into Trenton to do something similar.
You mean out of Trenton ;-)

I usually take the Trenton Makes bring over but last I recalled the route 1 Bridge had a sign that said "Toll Paid" or something like that, no lights.

On the PA TPK the new first toll plaza has high speed lanes for EZ Pass and toll booths for cash on the sides.

Posts: 10186 | Location: PA | Registered: March 30, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just for the
hell of it
Picture of comet24
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 41:
Well..the Dulles Toll Roadway was just suppose to be temporary until the road construction was paid off......that was many years ago...like 27+ or more. You see how that worked out. Mad

At first is it was about 25 cents the full length and I have no idea how much it is now since I haven't used it since 1992.

We had that BS in Maryland. They built the ICC which links I-95 and 270. Didn't really talk about it being a toll road until it opened. 4 fucking dollars in rush hour to go from 95 to 270. Yep I will pay it because it's about a 25 minute trip vs. over an hour.

If I get on at 495 and exit at Reston Parkway it's $3.50 these days. Crazy. I know other ways to avoid to toll but really a PIA with traffic.

Lucky I don't have to drive these tolls often.

Because in the end, you won’t remember the time you spent working in the office or mowing your lawn. Climb that goddamn mountain. Jack Kerouac

Posts: 16378 | Registered: March 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Striker in waiting
Picture of BurtonRW
posted Hide Post
Here in MD, we have very informative signs that tell you "Paid", "Low Balance", or even "Invalid Tag" ($0 balance), as you drive through.

You'll get used to it.

-Rob

I predict that there will be many suggestions and statements about the law made here, and some of them will be spectacularly wrong. - jhe888

A=A

Posts: 16263 | Location: Maryland, AA Co. | Registered: March 16, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Victim of Life's
Circumstances
Picture of doublesharp
posted Hide Post
The new Ohio River bridges in Louisville are both ez pass. If you don't have the transponder sticker it's $4 for a car up to around $30 for a semi. I've got the sticker so it's $2. You deposit money in your account in advance and then replenish as needed. I hate the tolls but it has sure cleaned up the traffic. Semis mostly go to a western bypass bridge to dodge the toll.

Posts: 4683 | Location: Sunnyside of Louisville | Registered: July 04, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Purveyor of
Fine Avatars
Picture of Orguss
posted Hide Post
The FasTrak system uses signs that say "Do Not Stop" but change to "Valid FasTrak" when the transponder is read. I wonder if those are considered against FHA standards, too?

"I'm yet another resource-consuming kid in an overpopulated planet raised to an alarming extent by Hollywood and Madison Avenue, poised with my cynical and alienated peers to take over the world when you're old and weak!" - Calvin, "Calvin & Hobbes"

Posts: 18018 | Location: Sonoma County, CA | Registered: April 09, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of jcsabolt2
posted Hide Post
With the high speed license plate readers out there I can't figure out why they need a card, device, etc. to be read. Simply scan the plate, bill the owner, require an active credit card to be on file. Anyone else can simply just pay the tole as has been done for decades in every state.

----------
“Nobody can ever take your integrity away from you. Only you can give up your integrity.” H. Norman Schwarzkopf

Posts: 3623 | Registered: July 06, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Network Janitor
Picture of mkueffer
posted Hide Post
Chicago has open road tolls and so used to selecting the I-Pass lane with no gate. Yesterday driving through Indiana and their I-Pass lanes have a gate...well one almost lost the gate. Illinois and Indiana do have lights to tell you toll paid on some gates.

A few Sigs and some others

Posts: 2219 | Location: Waukesha, WI | Registered: February 04, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BurtonRW:
Here in MD, we have very informative signs that tell you "Paid", "Low Balance", or even "Invalid Tag" ($0 balance), as you drive through.

You'll get used to it.

-Rob

Confused

These are exactly what they are getting rid of in PA. Did you even read my post?

Posts: 33604 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: November 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
When you fall, I will be there to catch you -With love, the floor
posted Hide Post
quote:
posted March 22, 2017 08:36 PMWTF is this bullshit? The light that goes green when your EZPass is read is a great feature I always thought? Now it's illegal according to the Feds?

quote:
These are exactly what they are getting rid of in PA. Did you even read my post?

That statement is confusing. You stated they are eliminating the green light signal similar to a standard traffic signal. Then you stated they are eliminating the led system that gives a account status. which one is it?

Richard Scalzo
Epping, NH

http://www.bigeastakitarescue.net

Posts: 5803 | Location: Epping, NH | Registered: October 16, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Political Cynic
Picture of nhtagmember
posted Hide Post
move out west - no toll roads

one of the things I absolutely detested the most in New England, and particularly the shithole town where I lived was every entrance and exit to and from the highway in my town was a toll booth

fucking leeches

if you want to populate a town with toll booths, eliminate the state taxes from the price of gasoline

we were royally fucked

[B] Against ALL enemies, foreign and DOMESTIC

Posts: 53086 | Location: Tucson Arizona | Registered: January 16, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Honky Lips
Picture of FenderBender
posted Hide Post
I still have my ez pass, I got it in Delaware because it has no fees. The rules didn't state you had to use your home state.

Posts: 8144 | Registered: July 24, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of downtownv
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by kx90:
quote:

I usually take the Trenton Makes bring over but last I recalled the route 1 Bridge had a sign that said "Toll Paid" or something like that, no lights.

On the PA TPK the new first toll plaza has high speed lanes for EZ Pass and toll booths for cash on the sides.

Ain't it funny how it's free to enter nj but you have to PAY to leave NJ?

https://www.teampython.com

Posts: 8318 | Location: 18 miles long, 6 Miles at Sea | Registered: January 22, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ol' Jack always says...
what the hell.
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by downtownv:
quote:
Originally posted by kx90:
quote:

Ain't it funny how it's free to enter nj but you have to PAY to leave NJ?

When we get to ribbing each other at work over PA vs. NJ I always make sure I throw that in there. ;-)

They're going to be replacing the Scudder Falls Bridge (rte 95) and they will be adding tolls to it. Roll Eyes

Posts: 10186 | Location: PA | Registered: March 30, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post