SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Need a trustworthy mechanic/transmission shop in Dallas area
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Need a trustworthy mechanic/transmission shop in Dallas area Login/Join 
Sound and Fury
Picture of Dallas239
posted
Based on my prior thread, I want to have the transmission fluid changed on my wife's Hyundai Veracruz. This appears to be a not simple job. And since there's no dipstick, I don't really have any way to check the work. Can anyone recommend a reliable shop in the Dallas area?

"I've spoken of the shining city all my political life, but I don't know if I ever quite communicated what I saw when I said it. But in my mind it was a tall proud city built on rocks stronger than oceans, wind-swept, God-blessed, and teeming with people of all kinds living in harmony and peace, a city with free ports that hummed with commerce and creativity, and if there had to be city walls, the walls had doors and the doors were open to anyone with the will and the heart to get here." -- Ronald Reagan, Farewell Address, Jan. 11, 1989

Si vis pacem para bellum
There are none so blind as those who refuse to see.
Feeding Trolls Since 1995

Posts: 18039 | Registered: February 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Can't help you with your query, but you might want to consider the following.

It's called a Colombian flush. For people who forgot to change the transmission fluid.

You capture the fluid, be it a drain or a flush, and then filter it with a rag or cheesecloth. The filtered fluid is put back in. Then top off to desirable level with fresh, new transmission fluid.

Granted, I've never tried that so I can't speak of personal experience, but those who have claim that it helps the gears grab better than it would with all new fluid. You might want to consider it taking into account the stories of transmission slippage after a flush. And ask around if you know any Colombian friends, or someone who might have heard of it.

Of course, if the underlying problem is mechanical in nature, it won't do any good.

Knowing more by accident than on purpose.

Posts: 14186 | Location: Tampa, Florida | Registered: December 12, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of SIG 229R
posted Hide Post
If there is as he says, no dip stick how is one supposed to know if you have over filled it of if it's low?

SigP229R
Harry Callahan "A man has got to know his limitations".
Teddy Roosevelt "Talk soft carry a big stick"
I Cor10: 13 "1611KJV"

Posts: 6066 | Registered: March 04, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not really from Vienna
Picture of arfmel
posted Hide Post
If it leaks out and catches fire: too full.
If the vehicle won't move: too low.

Posts: 26904 | Location: Jerkwater, Texas | Registered: January 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Shaql
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SIG 229R:
If there is as he says, no dip stick how is one supposed to know if you have over filled it of if it's low?

Much like a differential, the opening is probably on the side. You fill and when it starts coming out, it's full.

Hedley Lamarr: Wait, wait, wait. I'm unarmed.
Bart: Alright, we'll settle this like men, with our fists.
Hedley Lamarr: Sorry, I just remembered . . . I am armed.

Posts: 6852 | Location: Atlanta | Registered: April 23, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post