SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Be sure you know where your first aid kit is, and what's in it.
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Be sure you know where your first aid kit is, and what's in it. Login/Join 
Serenity now!
Picture of 4x5
posted
I burned two of my fingers pretty bad this morning, and had absolutely no idea where the FAK was. I had to call my wife to find out. When I opened it, it was stuffed with 100's of useless bandages, and some plastic tweezers. No gauze pads, no burn cream, nothing that helped. So, we're going to assemble a nice first aid kit and make sure it has things we might actually need, no more WalMart specials for us Smile

Ladies and gentlemen, take my advice - pull down your pants and slide on the ice.
ʘ ͜ʖ ʘ

Posts: 4929 | Location: Highland, UT | Registered: September 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
No double standards
posted Hide Post
I have maintained that all efforts for any type of emer prep is wasted . . . until one day when it is all of a sudden too late.

Hope your fingers feel better.

"Liberty lies in the hearts of men and women. When it dies there, no constitution, no law, no court can save it....While it lies there, it needs no constitution, no law, no court to save it"
- Judge Learned Hand, May 1944

Posts: 30668 | Location: UT | Registered: November 11, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 4x5:
When I opened it, it was stuffed with 100's of useless bandages, and some plastic tweezers. No gauze pads, no burn cream, nothing that helped.

As with most "first aid kits".

You really need to have two kits. A "trauma kit" for serious injuries, and a "boo boo kit" for day-to-day cuts, scrapes, insect bites, splinters, etc. (Most commercial "first aid kits" fall into the latter category.)

These can either be two separate kits, or one kit that's distinctly subdivided into separate parts. Either way, you don't want to have to dig through dozens of Bandaids, tweezers, and aspirins while you bleed out.

Posts: 32493 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Now in Florida
Picture of ChicagoSigMan
posted Hide Post
I need to do this.

I have been stuck in analysis paralysis trying to figure out my kit....buy one or make one, what to put in it, etc.

I just need to get started before I really need it.

Posts: 6063 | Location: FL | Registered: March 09, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of cparktd
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the reminder. My home kit is actually in a shambles and practically useless, I need to do better and the two kit idea is very smart!

I don't know what you mean by pretty bad, but for most burns around the house my go to is to ASAP, I mean really ASAP as in run without hesitation, to the fridge and coat it with cold Mustard. Kind of like vinegar on a sunburn, I don't know why, but it works to minimize the damage and speed recovery, if done immediately.

If it ain't woke... don't fix it.

Posts: 4128 | Location: Middle Tennessee | Registered: February 07, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of vthoky
posted Hide Post
Mrs has my nice Maxpedition IFAK... somewhere... Frown

God bless America.

Posts: 13486 | Location: The mountainous part of Hokie Nation! | Registered: July 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by cparktd:
I don't know what you mean by pretty bad, but for most burns around the house my go to is to ASAP, I mean really ASAP as in run without hesitation, to the fridge and coat it with cold Mustard. Kind of like vinegar on a sunburn, I don't know why, but it works to minimize the damage and speed recovery, if done immediately.

Mustard is great for minor burns, like catching a finger on the side of a hot pan. I wouldn't use it on serious burns (2nd/3rd degree).

Posts: 32493 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I have not yet begun
to procrastinate
posted Hide Post
Cool a burn IMMEDIATELY to stop further damage. Remember the chef's motto: "Done in the pan means overdone on the plate". Stop the flesh from continuing to cook.
Don't put anything on a bad burn that will have to be scrubbed off later.
Old wives tale cures are for old wives to feel like they did something. Don't put crap on a burn when cool water will do.
Cool a burn IMMEDIATELY to stop further damage.

--------
After the game, the King and the pawn go into the same box.

Posts: 3775 | Location: Central AZ | Registered: October 26, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not really from Vienna
Picture of arfmel
posted Hide Post
I thought "burn cream" had been pretty well discredited as a first aid product. Cold water is what I remember having been told to use.

Posts: 26893 | Location: Jerkwater, Texas | Registered: January 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Shorted to Atmosphere
Picture of Shifferbrains
posted Hide Post
For burns, cut an onion and put a slice on the burn. The pain will go away, and there will be less scarring.

My mother and step-father own a glassblowing business, so shit happens and this is what they do.

Posts: 5197 | Location: Manteca, CA | Registered: May 30, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
My hypocrisy goes only so far
Picture of GrumpyBiker
posted Hide Post
Found these three 1st aid wall mount boxes last year at the junk-tique store.
They've been filled & mounted around my home.
One too many times of running around dripping blood looking for bandages along with the winded & paper towels cleaning up later.

U.S.M.C.
VFW-8054
III%

"Never let a Wishbone grow where a Backbone should be "

Posts: 6932 | Location: Central,Ohio | Registered: December 28, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
If you see me running
try to keep up
Picture of mrvmax
posted Hide Post
Last December I sliced my leg open above the knee cap with a razor knife/box cutter. The cut was 1/2” deep and 2.5” long. I hit a small artery and it bled like crazy. Fortunately I put together a trauma kit last year and two trauma bandages slowed the bleeding immensely so I could get to the ER. Get one together before you need it.

Posts: 4099 | Location: Friendswood Texas | Registered: August 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of barndg00
posted Hide Post
The idea for two separate kits is ideal. We will all need band aids and the like from time to time. A select few will need a tourniquet, Israeli bandage, Celox gauze, a SAM splint, or chest seal. These do not need to be in the same place, but we need to know where they are.

I bought 4 different small first aid pouches (about 10x5x3”) for my “to-go” kit. Each has a separate purpose - General first aid, Major trauma, Suture, and Dog. I keep these together in a larger bag, easy to grab whatever I need at the time. I put them each together with the idea that the most likely use would be when I was hunting with the dog (hence the purpose made “dog” first aid kit). I take them to the range as well, minus the dog kit, of course. Family knows where they are located in the house. I keep a small “boo-boo” kit in each car as well, not a full major trauma kit, though given the size needed, perhaps I should duplicate my Trauma kit for the cars. In the master bath is a boatload of bandaids and other gear to replenish the kits and be used when needed around the house. I’m particular about my band-aids (Curad flexible fabric) and so purchase them in larger quantities online.

Bottom line, think about what injuries you want to be prepared to take care of (at least until help arrives) and the time you expect to have to take care of them, and you can come up with the materials you hopefully will never need. What is necessary is the planning ahead and thinking about what you will need to do before the time comes. That is mental preparedness (a type of training) and is what separates the professionals from those who get to talk like morons on the news after.

Posts: 2155 | Location: NC | Registered: January 01, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of lkdr1989
posted Hide Post
If you have an HSA, find out if you can use it to buy First Aid supplies.

...let him who has no sword sell his robe and buy one. Luke 22:35-36 NAV

"Behold, I send you out as sheep in the midst of wolves; so be shrewd as serpents and innocent as doves." Matthew 10:16 NASV

Posts: 4335 | Location: Valley, Oregon | Registered: June 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His diet consists of black
coffee, and sarcasm.
Picture of egregore
posted Hide Post
quote:
You really need to have two kits. A "trauma kit" for serious injuries, and a "boo boo kit" for day-to-day cuts, scrapes, insect bites, splinters, etc.

Where do burns fit in? For a burn like that described in the OP, there was a cold water faucet only feet, even inches, away.

Posts: 27927 | Location: Johnson City, TN | Registered: April 28, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Teaching metal shop, found in the first days that the bandaids were in short supply. Lots of little, bloody cuts in this environment. Solution was duct tape and paper towels. Not particularly steril, but durable.

Maybe duct tape in the first aid kit would be a good idea

Posts: 2130 | Location: south central Pennsylvania | Registered: November 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by KMitch200:
Cool a burn IMMEDIATELY to stop further damage.

That’s it. I’m old enough to remember when that advice was first offered based on clinical tests, and could only think, “Man, I wish I’d known about that when I was a kid,” (and when I got most of my minor burns).

Ice (or snow, if you live where I do) is even better than cold water, especially if your “cold” water is only tepid. Be careful, of course, to not overdo it and end up with frostbite. Cooling not only relieves the pain more quickly, but also helps with healing. The only way creams, goo, cut vegetables, oils, etc., will help in the short term is if they’re cold as well. Turn on the tap or grab an ice cube from the freezer.

As for minor cuts and scrapes, I’m a firm fan of “new skin liquid bandage,” and is something else I wish I’d had available long ago. It stings a little when first applied, but after that it’s far superior to any sort of bandage for minor wounds. I always have a bottle available, including in my range bag.

6.4/93.6

“Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.”
— Plato

Posts: 47397 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post