SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Thinking of trading or selling my JD tractor for a skidsteer
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Thinking of trading or selling my JD tractor for a skidsteer Login/Join 
Green grass and
high tides
Picture of old rugged cross
posted
So I have decided to forgo the thought of buying a mini excavator due to the cost mostly.

I like my compact JD 4wd tractor with loader. But a skidsteer would do mostly what I have my tractor for and give me a tool that would also do some of the forestry type work I would like to do with an implement or two.

I am looking for good skidsteer for a budget of of $15k-18k. Not a junker but a solid unit am in wondering what those of you that have experince in skidsteers think.

Thanks guys.

"Practice like you want to play in the game"

Posts: 19111 | Registered: September 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have two Bobcat skid steer loaders. The first one is a tiny 18 HP gas B450, built in 1996, owned since 1999, still works just fine. I use it to shovel manure in the winter when the ground is soft, it is very low impact. Not very stable, scares my wife to death.

The other is a Bobcat B3000, a 9,000lb 80 HP machine, circa 2003, owned since 2004. Lift capacity is 3,000 lbs. This is a much better alternative than a mini excavator for me. I had about 30 acres of cutover woods that I wanted to convert to grazing. It has a stump bucket, a regular bucket and a root grapple for land clearing. WE also use it daily for moving round bales to feed the cows. Great for loading logs. Rips fairly sizable trees out by their roots.

Both machines have been reliable, and dealer support has been pretty good.

You should be able to get a good sized machine in your price range. United Rentals is a possible source.

I could probably sell the B3000 now for what I paid for it in 2004. New ones are more complex, and cost twice as much.

----------------------------------------------------
Dances with Crabgrass

Posts: 2180 | Location: East Virginia | Registered: October 12, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
What exactly are the implements you want for 'forestry' type work? and what is the terrain involved?

“So in war, the way is to avoid what is strong, and strike at what is weak.”

Posts: 10966 | Registered: October 14, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Green grass and
high tides
posted Hide Post
Thanks Hay2bale.

Hrc, a log grapple. To grab logs. Grab brush, etc. Definitely need a buck. Not sure what a stump bucket is. Probably want a set of forks.

posted Hide Post
Ok a grapple and forks literally anything can run. If you wanted, for example, a stump grinder size matters. I have lots of equipment for forestry work (dozer,excavator, skidder, tracked loader, ss, tractor etc.) But what works best really depends on your terrain. A skid steerer simply sucks where I work in Maine. The terrain is beyond its traction capabilities much of the year. That isn't true for a tracked version which I use almost all the time. Or you can add tracks to a traditional one and that's a very good system. So I'd rent or try one (generally low cost) to make sure you'd be happy before buying one. There are many good units in your price range but of course you should get one with decent service in your area.

Green grass and
high tides
posted Hide Post
It does not appear that selling my JD for the price I am asking is going to be too tough.

I have been looking at used Skid steers on line. There is a Bobcat rental center that sells their rentals and maintenance is kept up on them so that is probably my best option to this point. To get a unit I really want probably have to up my budget $5k or so. Even then it is iffy.

So I am also thinking of keeping my rotary mower and taking a look at a new Kubota tractor.

For you Kubota guys. What tractor can one buy for $25-27k new. I am thinking I would like a manual trans vs the hst?
I need something with a loader and 4wd. Will plow snow with it. Mow occasionally with the rotary mower and use in the woods. A set of forks would be handy. Needs to be a work, not hobby machine.

Not as lean, not as mean,
Still a Marine
Picture of Gibb
posted Hide Post
My grandfather had a Mustang skidsteer that was great for working the house lot, but was horrible in the woods. It would get stuck trying to turn off the ground wasn't dry.

If working in the woods (especially pulling logs), I'd recommend a set of tracks over tires.

Incredibly useful machines, but they do have their limitations.

I shall respect you until you open your mouth, from that point on, you must earn it yourself.

Posts: 3352 | Location: Southern Maine | Registered: February 10, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
I am thinking I would like a manual trans vs the hst

I have john deere tractors, but the answer to this is independent of brand. If you can get a hydraulic drive system get it. period.

Picture of henryaz
posted Hide Post

Living in AZ with its hard packed ground, my only regret in buying a Kubota B7800 (30hp tractor with FEL and 3 point hitch), was not getting a TLB instead. Digging here is a bitch. For a trench, if you don't have a backhoe and have to hand dig it, you water the top layer and go do something else for an hour. Come back and dig it down a couple of inches at most, water that, come back in an hour and dig some more, and repeat until you get your desired depth. Invariably you will find some rocks/boulders, and maybe some caliche.

When in doubt, mumble

Posts: 10778 | Location: South Congress AZ | Registered: May 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Green grass and
high tides
posted Hide Post
At this point. I have a gentleman coming to look at my JD. So if it sells then I will start the process of another piece of equip. Not in a big hurry. Still undecided on what. I may rent a skid steer for a day and see how it works out. I have used one on a limited basis before. But need to get more familiar.
At this point I am leaning towards a new Kubota similar in size (maybe a bit larger?) so I have a newer piece of equip. for the future. And rent an excavator and or Skid steer when I need it. But will see.

Henry, I really do not have a need for a backhoe for ditch digging.

Green grass and
high tides
posted Hide Post
First guy that looked at it bought it for my asking price. Hated to see the little JD go. Been a great tractor for over twenty years. I was the second owner and owned it for the majority of its thirty years. Decided to sell it and get something new or newer. A bit bigger and more powerful.

What would you buy if you had a budget of $25-28K.

Among my forestry needs I need something to plow snow with.

And something to do regular farm and homestead projects.

I do not want anything chicom.

Thoughts.