SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Norton 360 With LifeLock
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Norton 360 With LifeLock Login/Join 
Do---or do not.
There is no try.
posted
My wife just got an e-mail on this.

We've had LifeLock for several years and it's worked very well. Apparently, they've made a deal with Norton to market an "upgrade" package to current customers for "free," which of course will no longer be free when the current LifeLock subscription comes up for renewal.

I'm very wary of Norton and other similar products that usually only serve to slow down performance and provide very little protection beyond what Apple and Microsoft already put in their operating systems.

What say the Forum brain trust?

Posts: 4493 | Registered: January 01, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
You're probably correct.

Another comment: LifeLock is not a scam, they do provide a service, but I personally can't see paying them to do something that I can do for myself, for free.

I guess maybe it's a "convenience tax." Nothing really wrong with that.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30544 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
quarter MOA visionary
Picture of smschulz
posted Hide Post
Unless the computer is old(er) you should be OK.
The all-in-one multi AV/firewall/tool products are not necessarily needed now days but may be of some benefit.
I generally do not use these type for myself or my IT clients though.
The firewall part can be especially cumbersome (especially in a bus LAN scenario) albeit effective mostly on home computers.
Since you are in the FREE period ~ you can always try it and measure the performance.
Normally, Malwarebytes and using common sense and caution when opening and browsing will benefit most and include a good password policy too.
Good Luck

Posts: 22858 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: June 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Political Cynic
Picture of nhtagmember
posted Hide Post
not impressed with Norton or any of their products

two bad episodes with them, and I won't let any Norton products on any of my machines

Posts: 53086 | Location: Tucson Arizona | Registered: January 16, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by V-Tail:
Another comment: LifeLock is not a scam, they do provide a service, but I personally can't see paying them to do something that I can do for myself, for free.

I see this claim around here a lot. I find it unlikely.

Perhaps regarding credit. Sure. All you really need do is freeze your credit reporting at the three major credit reporting agencies and have most of that nailed. (N.B.: It's wise to also freeze your reporting at ChexSystems and NCTUE. [Bank account and utilities reporting, respectively.])

But LifeLock and services like it do a lot more than just credit abuse detection. They also do identity theft detection and mitigation. Personally, even being retired, I don't have enough time in my day to replicate what these companies do in I.D. theft detection. Given the horror stories people have related when their identity has been stolen (destroyed credit ratings, convincing collection agencies it wasn't really them that ran up those hospital bills, getting their names cleared from NCIC and other law enforcement databases, etc.), their mitigation services, alone, are probably worth it.

The company we use, IdentityForce, is watching for abuse of my wife's and my SSNs, driver's licenses, passports, and all our medical insurance card/account numbers.

I don't use AV and malware detection software because virus and malware protection is something I can do on my own. But I.D. theft detection and mitigation? There's no way I could replicate what they're doing, or the mitigation services they'll provide should that prove necessary. And, being as each of our identities have been compromised multiple times, odds are high that eventually somebody will try to use that stolen information.

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post