SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Why are they making the All Star Game about race/ethnicity?
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Why are they making the All Star Game about race/ethnicity? Login/Join 
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted
More pandering from people who just need to show us the sport we came to see, and nothing more, especially this kind of phony horse shit.

"I am your retribution." - Donald Trump, speech at CPAC, March 4, 2023

Posts: 107266 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Twist
posted Hide Post
Changed the channel when that shit started. No idea what I changed it to, walked down to the end of the driveway and talked to the neighbor for a few.

Posts: 1931 | Location: NOT Houston, Tx (Thank God), but in the area. | Registered: May 18, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lawyers, Guns
and Money
Picture of chellim1
posted Hide Post
Sports (particularly sports media) have become almost as lib as academics.

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible."
-- Justice Janice Rogers Brown

"The United States government is the largest criminal enterprise on earth."
-rduckwor

Posts: 23946 | Location: St. Louis, MO | Registered: April 03, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Conservative in Nor Cal constantly swimming
up stream
Picture of PR64
posted Hide Post
I was saying the same thing to my Cousin.

-----------------------------------
Get your guns b4 the Dems take them away
Sig P-229
Sig P-220 Combat

Posts: 3458 | Location: Nor Cal | Registered: January 25, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I miss the days of Dizzy Dean & Pee Wee Reese.

Posts: 5768 | Location: west 'by god' virginia | Registered: May 30, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Green grass and
high tides
Picture of old rugged cross
posted Hide Post
i did not see. how bad was it?

"Practice like you want to play in the game"

Posts: 19111 | Registered: September 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
It was a bunch of rich Corinthian leather.

Posts: 107266 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Baseball been berry berry good to me

Posts: 17177 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bolt Thrower
Picture of Voshterkoff
posted Hide Post
Part of the cultural war to push identity politics. Two groups lap this pandering up, and they think that ignorant trump supporting nazis are the marginal group, despite evidence to the contrary.

Posts: 9947 | Location: Woodinville, WA | Registered: March 30, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Now Serving 7.62
Picture of 10X-Shooter
posted Hide Post
Was thinking the same thing as the pregame first pitch became first toss off to Latin players. I have nothing against Latinos at all but picking one race is just trying to get latinos to fill seats there in Miami. I thought I was the only one irked by that.

Posts: 6005 | Location: TN | Registered: February 12, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of reloader-1
posted Hide Post
As someone who is of Hispanic descent, I've never understood all the bullshit. "Latino" is not a race... it's literally a description of people from a particular location (South America, some include Spain in the definition).

There's a shitload of white people in LatAm, and black, and indigenous, and any mix of the above.

I don't get the distinction.

Posts: 2320 | Location: S. FL | Registered: October 26, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Seems like everything is about race today... if not, you're sleeping.

Posts: 10045 | Registered: October 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Way before all this talk of race & who's this & who's that, my favorite players were Minnie Minoso & Roberto Clemente. I was just a kid & sportscasters just called ball games, we've went backwards.

Posts: 5768 | Location: west 'by god' virginia | Registered: May 30, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Leemur
posted Hide Post
Cause social justice! And kill whitey! And something something.

Posts: 13735 | Location: Shenandoah Valley, VA | Registered: October 16, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of heisrizn
posted Hide Post
Some of this feels similar to when I go to my mother in law's house and she feels the need to point out any and all things wrong with the place. Like if she mentions all the stuff shes ashamed of FIRST then, I can't. I've also seen people do this with their personal appearance. Insecurity breeds the need to be self depricating.

Mindset: "If I mention all these things I 'Think' you're noticing that's wrong with me/my belongings, I take the 'power' from you being able to do so." Thing is, YOU'RE THE ONE STUCK ON IT. No one else would notice or think there's something wrong.

Side bar; Most don't know "Hispanic/Latino" is ethnicity not race.

Posts: 1549 | Location: Fayetteville, NC | Registered: April 05, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Leemur:

This is about it. I'm surprised Colin Kapernik wasn't there telling them to take a knee.

I'd rather be hated for who I am than loved for who I'm not.

Posts: 3652 | Location: The armpit of Ohio | Registered: August 18, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Ripley
posted Hide Post
The main reason I never made it through Ken Burns' baseball doc.

Set the controls for the heart of the Sun.

Posts: 8310 | Location: Flown-over country | Registered: December 25, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of John Steed
posted Hide Post
Glad I didn't see any of it. I quit watching baseball in 1992.

... stirred anti-clockwise.

Posts: 2057 | Location: Michigan | Registered: May 24, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bad dog!
Picture of justjoe
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by chellim1:
Sports (particularly sports media) have become almost as lib as academics.

The stereotype from the 50s was that jocks were frat boy types, Republicans. Therefore, bigots and racists. The sports writers have been working overtime to show that they are progressive! All about diversity and tolerance!

The local boob sports writer just did a piece on the upcoming boxing match between Mayweather and McGregor and based it on the premise that McGregor was "the Great White Hope." That is a term that dates from a black-white boxing match in 1910 involving the champ Jack Johnson. The term has been revived a few times over the decades, most recently as far as I recall in a fight involving Muhammad Ali and Jerry Quarry.

In 2017, McGregor is "the Great White Hope"?? His match with Mayweather is all about
race??

It is a stupid match up, a scam of a boxing match, something closer to pro wrestling than a real boxing match, but to this dolt the main thing is that it is a remnant of white racism. :roll eyes:

The libs took what was once their most potent cause, racism, and their most devastating insult, racist, and just flogged that nag to death. Americans are sick and tired of it. I know that I am, and I know that I'm far from alone.

"You get much farther with a kind word and a gun than with a kind word alone."

Posts: 11106 | Location: pennsylvania | Registered: June 05, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
No double standards
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Leemur:

I think you have a point. Seems to me one underlying goal is to promote disunity/disharmony/contention in America along ethnic lines; to promote "us against them" mentality.

"Liberty lies in the hearts of men and women. When it dies there, no constitution, no law, no court can save it....While it lies there, it needs no constitution, no law, no court to save it"
- Judge Learned Hand, May 1944

Posts: 30668 | Location: UT | Registered: November 11, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post