SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Fire works poll
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Fire works poll Login/Join 
posted
Fourth of July or any other type , for that ,matter

Not the shooting off in your back yard type but the big ole municipality type that go on for 40 minutes or more.

thanks for taking the time

Question:
Share your opinion if you want but I am just wondering how involved or excited you tend to get about them.

Choices:
The need to ban them , spend that money on something better
I don't care for them , I don't go
Will only go if someone is bringing food
take'em or leave'em , indifferent
like them won't pay to see them though
like them them a lot , very enjoyable
I trave far and wide to see as many as possible

Safety, Situational Awareness and proficiency.

Neck Ties, Hats and ammo brass, Never ,ever touch'em w/o asking first

Posts: 54603 | Location: Henry County , Il | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Muzzle flash
aficionado
Picture of flashguy
posted Hide Post
My sister was born on the 4th of July, and died in 2000. I usually go to a big fireworks display in her memory, because she really enjoyed them.

flashguy

Texan by choice, not accident of birth

Posts: 27902 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: May 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
W07VH5
Picture of mark123
posted Hide Post
My dad used to drag us to fireworks displays. He enjoyed them but I never could figure the purpose. I was always bored out of my mind.

Posts: 45369 | Location: Pennsyltucky | Registered: December 05, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Sailor1911
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by flashguy:
My sister was born on the 4th of July, and died in 2000. I usually go to a big fireworks display in her memory, because she really enjoyed them.

flashguy

Now, there is a good reason to go! Sorry for your loss, embrace the memories.

Place your clothes and weapons where you can find them in the dark.

“If in winning a race, you lose the respect of your fellow competitors, then you have won nothing” - Paul Elvstrom "The Great Dane" 1928 - 2016

Posts: 3762 | Location: Wichita, Kansas | Registered: March 27, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The guy behind the guy
Picture of esdunbar
posted Hide Post
We go every year. ‘Merica!

Posts: 7548 | Registered: April 19, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Unapologetic Old
School Curmudgeon
Picture of Lord Vaalic
posted Hide Post
I enjoy them a lot but never go. I hate crowds and heat.

Don't weep for the stupid, or you will be crying all day

Posts: 10722 | Location: TN | Registered: December 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I believe in the
principle of
Due Process
Picture of JALLEN
posted Hide Post
When I lived in Coronado and had the boat, we made a big deal of July 4. Parade in the late morning, I played in the concert in the park, friends over for terrific dinner in time to go out on the boat for dessert, champagne, fireworks all over the bay, extremely jolly.

Now here in the hill country, we head down to the parade in the morning, with a huge crowd of bitter clingers, for color guards, prayers in public, patriotic singing, band concert, and parade with all sorts of units. They still let Boy Scouts appear in public and there were several dozen in uniforms today, carrying US flags! Nobody seemed to be ashamed of this, either.

There will be a huge fireworks program in town, but I’m too puny to attempt that.

Luckily, I have enough willpower to control the driving ambition that rages within me.

When you had the votes, we did things your way. Now, we have the votes and you will be doing things our way. This lesson in political reality from Lyndon B. Johnson

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible." - Justice Janice Rogers Brown

Posts: 48369 | Location: Texas hill country | Registered: July 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I think July 4th was set aside as a day to celebrate and recall our struggle for independence and the sacrifices of those who made it happen.
But like most of our holidays, just another excuse to get drunk and stupid. In really hot, humid weather.

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16067 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Void Where Prohibited
Picture of WaterburyBob
posted Hide Post
I really like them - if it's a big enough display. Cheap, small displays don't do anything for me.

"If Gun Control worked, Chicago would look like Mayberry, not Thunderdome" - Cam Edwards

Posts: 16509 | Location: Under the Boot of Tyranny in Connectistan | Registered: February 02, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of jerkyjer
posted Hide Post
It not the 4th if something isn't blowing up. And better yet, when everyone on your street is doing them too.

War Eagle!

Posts: 206 | Registered: April 01, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
If you're gonna be a
bear, be a Grizzly!
Picture of Todd Huffman
posted Hide Post
I enjoy going to them, but I hate crowds. So when we have ours here in town, they're in the bottoms near the river and I go up on the hill that looks over the park. Not very close, and you don't get the full effect of the sounds, but you can see the display without being packed into the park.

Here's to the sunny slopes of long ago.

Posts: 3633 | Location: Morganton, NC | Registered: December 31, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Draal
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Lord Vaalic:
I enjoy them a lot but never go. I hate crowds and heat.

^^^This^^^

Posts: 164 | Location: Oak Park, IL | Registered: July 21, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Sig Sauer Kraut
posted Hide Post
We can see our municipality’s show from our neighborhood, so we watch it with neighbors and a few beers. I’m indifferent about the show, but I would go for the kids to see if we couldn’t see it from the neighborhood.

Posts: 691 | Registered: January 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Staring back
from the abyss
Picture of Gustofer
posted Hide Post
I never buy any, but would reconsider if they legalized M80s and cherry bombs again.

At times I enjoy the municipal displays, but they always seem to leave me wanting more. I keep thinking, "Wow, they wasted a lot of money on that? Hmmm, OK."

Now there was one time when I was in the service back in the 80s, a bunch of friends and I went to a municipal (I think) show on the 4th in Utica, NY. For the finale they had the fireworks choreographed to Lee Greenwood's Proud To Be An American that they were blasting on huge speakers. It was pretty amazing. We all stood up at attention and saluted with lumps in our throats at the end of that one. Nothing I've seen since has even come close.

quote:
Originally posted by Lord Vaalic:
I hate crowds and heat.

Preach it brother.

Posts: 20081 | Location: Montana | Registered: November 01, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get Off My Lawn
Picture of oddball
posted Hide Post
I voted take it or leave it. I like 'em, have seen dozens of fireworks shows at July 4th events, ballgames, Disneyland, etc. We had supposedly a nice one locally last night(never seen it) but my wife and I really did not want to stake out out a spot earlier in the day, find parking, deal with crowds, and then the painful ride home thru traffic. We stayed home.

"I’m not going to read Time Magazine, I’m not going to read Newsweek, I’m not going to read any of these magazines; I mean, because they have too much to lose by printing the truth"- Bob Dylan, 1965

Posts: 16676 | Location: Texas | Registered: May 13, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I voted take em or leave em. When I was younger it was fun. The older I get I don't enjoy the crowds.

Posts: 1568 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: August 17, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
I never buy any, but would reconsider if they legalized M80s and cherry bombs again.

Now there is some serious fireworks. My favorite was the US Army M80, simulated mortar round.

"Some people are alive today because it's against the law to kill them".

Posts: 8228 | Location: Arizona | Registered: August 17, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The fourth of july is my favorite holiday of the year, christmas my least favorite. I've loved the fireworks since I was a kid.

I nearly got smacked in the face with a mortar one year, many years ago. On a volunteer fire dept assigned to do the city fireworks, I was assigned to trash can duty; the charges were in cans at the end of each mortar row. One man worked the row, replacing charges and igniting, and one man stayed with a trash can, kept the lid on the can until more charges were needed (keep falling burning material out of the can). We were all in turnout gear. I saw a something glowing fall and land on several charges that were in the hand of the row operator, saw the fuze light off. I tried to yell over the noise, he saw them as they burned through in his palm and dropped them close to me. One of the flaming balls went by my helmet, bounced off the lowered visor.

Another year, after returning from Iraq, I was in Honolulu in a hotel. I hard a series of booms out side, which sounded a lot like mortars. Intellectually, I knew that wasn't happening in hawaii, but I found myself face down in the carpet anyway, and crawled out on to the open air hall and then balcony, to find fireworks on waikiki beach. I couldn't make myself get up, so watched from behind the railing on my knees, and crawled back to my room. I don't think anyone saw me, embarrassing as it might have been. I just couldn't get up.

One boy is back from the corps today, and a daughter back from college, so we're going to the fireworks at the local high school football field. They're pretty, we enjoy them, but the fireworks have a more somber feel to me these days.

Posts: 6650 | Registered: September 13, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
If the fog cooperates I can walk down the street and see few shows from around the bay.

Posts: 4277 | Location: Peoples Republic of Berkeley | Registered: June 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
addicted to trailing-throttle oversteer
posted Hide Post
Like 'em, and the reason behind the celebration is damn good one. But I hate the crowds so it's been a couple of decades since we've traveled for a show. Don't like the private 'displays' that neighbors do as much. Spooks the dogs like nothing else and I have to water down everything I can to keep a stray bottle rocket or some other incoming aerial from sparking up a fire.

Posts: 8983 | Location: Drippin' wet | Registered: April 18, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post