SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Whole house furnace humidifier suggestions
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Whole house furnace humidifier suggestions Login/Join 
Raised Hands Surround Us
Three Nails To Protect Us
Picture of Black92LX
posted
Our Essick Aire MA0800 stand alone unit crapped out for the 3rd time in 4 years. We have a large FSA surplus and they say you can use FSA money for humidifiers with a Dr. letter.
Well We happen to be sitting in post op after tube set number 7 and 3rd set of adenoids being removed.
So I asked the ENT and he said he’d gladly write a letter.

What is the best brand, style, for ease of maintenance should we be looking at?

————————————————
The world's not perfect, but it's not that bad.
If we got each other, and that's all we have.
I will be your brother, and I'll hold your hand.
You should know I'll be there for you!

Posts: 25417 | Registered: September 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A day late, and
a dollar short
Picture of Warhorse
posted Hide Post
I have had Aprilaire, as well as Honeywell humidifiers, both work equally well.

Posts: 13680 | Location: Michigan | Registered: July 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of smlsig
posted Hide Post
We have installed many of these and I personally have one in my own home..

https://www.aprilaire.com/whol...humidifier/model-800

It will probably require professional installation but once set up you can forget about it until the end of the season.
Please note that you will have to replace the steam canister each season but that is a DIY process. The canister runs about $80 and you can get it from Amazon.

Here’s the listing for the whole unit on Amazon.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B005...tag=viglink127482-20

------------------
Eddie

Our Founding Fathers were men who understood that the right thing is not necessarily the written thing. -kkina

Posts: 6315 | Location: In transit | Registered: February 19, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I've had two Aprilaire units (two different houses) and both have been problem free (as long as we use the scale filter on the input line). The last one is on the output side of the furnace - model 700 (vs the input side like the non powered ones - that was a model 600) and seems to put more moisture in the air. We replace the wick when we replace the furnace filter.

I reject your reality and substitute my own.
--Adam Savage, MythBusters

Posts: 1748 | Location: Red Wing, MN | Registered: January 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Vi Veri Veniversum Vivus Vici
Picture of ChuckFinley
posted Hide Post
Never had any luck with on-unit whole house humidifiers. They only seemed to humidify the ducts.

have bought This stand alone unit with excellent results.

Happy to discuss more offline, or show you how we've done it, as we control parts of the house differently with 2 units of this (large house/zoned)

"Of all tyrannies, a tyranny exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It may be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end, for they do so with the approval of their own conscience." -- C.S. Lewis

Posts: 5644 | Location: District 12 | Registered: June 16, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
We've had one like this: General Filters Model 1042LH Legacy Humidifier installed on the sides of our furnaces for about 25 years.

It was working so well we ended-up with water damage to the perimeters of the ceilings on the west and south exposures due to condensation. (We initially thought it water from ice dams on the roof.)

I solved that problem with a Honeywell HumidiPRO automatic humidistat.

Maintenance: Each fall I disassemble the unit, clear out the cruft (mainly mineral deposits due to our hard well water) and install a new evaporator pad. That's it.

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ChuckFinley:
Never had any luck with on-unit whole house humidifiers. They only seemed to humidify the ducts.

Sounds like that's a return air/circulation issue and not the humidifier's fault.

I have an Aprilaire 600, hooked up to cold water and it seems to work well, keeps the house right at 50% where it's dialed into.

My FIL also has an Aprilaire but his is hooked up to hot water for some reason, I asked my HVAC guy about that and he said it wasn't necessary to use hot and just wastes your hot water.

Posts: 33793 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: November 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by PASig:
My FIL also has an Aprilaire but his is hooked up to hot water for some reason, I asked my HVAC guy about that and he said it wasn't necessary to use hot and just wastes your hot water.

Accelerates evaporation. I re-plumbed ours to hot water when we couldn't get our humidity up to where we wanted in very cold weather. Only later did I discover (see previous post) there's only so much humidity you can pump into the air before it simply gets sucked right back out of the air when it starts condensing on any sufficiently cold surface.

Even if you can't see the condensation, it can be happening in areas you can't see, causing damage--and even reducing the efficiency of insulation.

Here's a chart, from Honeywell, IIRC, that recommends maximum indoor humidity based on outside temperature:

A good rule of thumb is when you start seeing condensation around the edges of windows you're about at the max reasonable indoor humidity for the outside temperature.

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go Vols!
Picture of Oz_Shadow
posted Hide Post
Aprilaire 600 bypass installed on our Lennox. It functions like the automatic version as it uses the smart ipad like controller in our furnace. Max is 45% per our control pad. Working well. It's on the hot water and only runs when the heat is on and the humidity is low (it has fancy options about RH, outside temp, etc. too). The installers hated it. Very tight. Sure beats filling the reservoir on the in house version.

Posts: 17884 | Location: SE Michigan | Registered: February 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Banned
posted Hide Post
Aprilaire.

Posts: 1396 | Registered: August 25, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A day late, and
a dollar short
Picture of Warhorse
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ensigmatic:
A good rule of thumb is when you start seeing condensation around the edges of windows you're about at the max reasonable indoor humidity for the outside temperature.

That's exactly what I do.

Posts: 13680 | Location: Michigan | Registered: July 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Drill Here, Drill Now
Picture of tatortodd
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Warhorse:
quote:
Originally posted by ensigmatic:

That's exactly what I do.
To the OP, spend the extra $35-50 for the automatic controller. It has an external temperature probe and it automatically adjusts to put the perfect amount in the house (the chart that ensigmatic posted) without condensation on the windows. Also, insist the technician hooks up the external thermometer (this is what makes the automatic controller function properly and my technician tried to get out of the 15 minutes work). This makes it automatic and it’s always at the perfect humidity without condensation on windows. Condensation on windows can cause toxic mold as well as rot out window sills.

I had the Aprilaire bypass filter installed on a 2800 sq ft 2-story home in Alaska and the automatic controller always kept it perfect humidity without condensation on windows. I had it serviced annually (more than just a pad swap) plus did a pad swap halfway through the 9 month long winter. If a properly sized and maintained Aprilaire bypass humidifier can keep up in Alaska then a properly sized and maintained Aprilaire bypass humidifier can keep up wherever y’all live.

Contrast this to the Generalaire bypass humidifier with manual humidity control in Calgary, AB. It was a similar sized 2-story home to Alaska, but the manual adjustment was on furnace in the basement. In other words, I wasn’t going down there often to adjust setting. Additionally, I was a renter and the landlord wouldn’t spend money on having HVAC serviced so it was pad swapped only.

Ego is the anesthesia that deadens the pain of stupidity

DISCLAIMER: These are the author's own personal views and do not represent the views of the author's employer.

Posts: 23244 | Location: Northern Suburbs of Houston | Registered: November 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raised Hands Surround Us
Picture of Black92LX
posted Hide Post
Curious about this.
We have just under 4K sq feet, on 3 floors, with 2 units, one in the basement and 1 in the attic.
Will a unit on the downstairs until humidify the entire house.
A unit on the attic furnace does not seem feasible.
Am I stuck with a stand alone unit for upstairs?

————————————————

posted Hide Post
Get an Aprilaire with the automatic humidistat.

Stay away from General, as they are a PITA to clean compared to the Aprilaire!

Posts: 10055 | Registered: October 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raised Hands Surround Us
Picture of Black92LX
posted Hide Post
So would one on the downstairs unit alone help upstairs?

I was looking at the basement unit. Looks like there may have been one installed before.

————————————————

Go Vols!
Picture of Oz_Shadow
posted Hide Post
I am not a HVAC professional, but one downstairs can only help. Running a water supply of that nature to the attic makes me cringe.

Posts: 17884 | Location: SE Michigan | Registered: February 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raised Hands Surround Us
Picture of Black92LX
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Oz_Shadow:
I am not a HVAC professional, but one downstairs can only help. Running a water supply of that nature to the attic makes me cringe.

Same here.
I was watching a This Old House Episode where they were installing a steam humidifier unit on the furnace in the attic.
Their hot water tank was also up there Eek

————————————————

posted Hide Post
It will help.
How much depends on how open the upstairs is for circulation and house infiltration rate.

Posts: 10055 | Registered: October 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
Yes it will help, but it will depend on floor plan and if you keep bedroom doors open or shut. In general everything in nature wants to get to equilibrium so the more of the downstairs air that meets with upstairs air the more effective it will be.

I have a Aprilaire 700m. I installed it myself in two hours (mechanically inclined). I could have done it slightly faster if not for something in the instructions that confused me (can't remember at the moment what though).

Made a huge difference for me. No more dry sinuses in the morning, no more static when I pet the kitties, and house feels warmer at lower temperatures.

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 20818 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Tgrshrk99
posted Hide Post
Resurrecting this thread - looking to go this route because we are getting a grand piano. Large swings in humidity are no good. The recommendation is to keep the house at 40-50 year round. The post about moisture on the windows and humidity down in the 20s when it’s really cold have me second guessing myself. Any piano owners with experience?

Posts: 606 | Location: Between here and the end of the line | Registered: November 29, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post