SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Has anyone been to the Remington Arms Museum in upstate NY UPDATED Apr 12 with photos
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Has anyone been to the Remington Arms Museum in upstate NY UPDATED Apr 12 with photos Login/Join 
posted
It's in Ilion, near the big city of...Utica. The link says very little, though traveler reports on the www are positive.

https://www.remington.com/about-us

Remington Museum & Country Store
located on Catherine St. in Ilion, NY 13357
Open Monday through Friday
8:30 - 4:30 PM
Closed for lunch 12:00 PM - 1:00 PM

Closed on all major holidays
For further details call:
315-895-3304 or 315-895-3301

I may be in the area this April. Has anyone visited the museum recently?

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Sigmund,

Posts: 15899 | Location: Eastern Iowa | Registered: May 21, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
:^)
Picture of BillyBonesNY
posted Hide Post
Interesting... no, I never knew Remington (big green) had a museum.

Remington, the artist has a fantastic museum in Olean, NY

I’ll have to check it out next time I’m in the area.

----------------------------------------
http://lonesurvivorfoundation.org

Posts: 7177 | Registered: March 19, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
If it's the one in the Factory, it's like 3 rooms. I went in 2012-2013ish It had some interesting example rifles but it wasn't as extensive as I'd have liked. They also didn't do factory tours. things might have changed after I went. The store had sweat shirts and shot glass and some parts you can readily buy from Remington's web store.

Posts: 4548 | Location: Where ever Uncle Sam Sends Me | Registered: March 05, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Never been there.

But I found the following extremely funny at the link you provided:

"And Remington handguns like the... R51 are reinventing shootability and redefining performance."

And how...

Knowing more by accident than on purpose.

Posts: 14186 | Location: Tampa, Florida | Registered: December 12, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Delusions of Adequacy
Picture of zoom6zoom
posted Hide Post
quote:
Remington, the artist has a fantastic museum in Olean, NY

If you hit Olean, you can also visit the KA-BAR visitor center and factory store.

I have my own style of humor. I call it Snarkasm.

Posts: 17944 | Location: Virginia | Registered: June 02, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the replies. Current plan is to visit Ilion - but not Olean - in early April.

Most of the snow should be gone.

Posts: 15899 | Location: Eastern Iowa | Registered: May 21, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by CD228:
If it's the one in the Factory, it's like 3 rooms. I went in 2012-2013ish It had some interesting example rifles but it wasn't as extensive as I'd have liked. They also didn't do factory tours. things might have changed after I went. The store had sweat shirts and shot glass and some parts you can readily buy from Remington's web store.

I went in about 2013 as well. Exactly as CD228 stated. Only thing I would add is that they have a small gift shop. I was able to get some Bushmaster shirts and hats. I asked about factory tours, as they used to do them, but was told that since Sandy Hook, they couldn't have the public on the factory floor. The complex there is huge. Lots of cool design elements to the old factory architecture.

Posts: 1029 | Location: CT | Registered: March 17, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
It’s a cool little museum.If you’re going by it’s worth the stop. The gift shop is nice also. It’s a shame they don’t offer tours anymore. I got to do one with an employee a couple years ago and it was pretty impressive. Lots of history there.

Posts: 180 | Location: Upstate NY | Registered: September 26, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Ozarkwoods
posted Hide Post
I have been there 20 yrs ago, my wife is from the area her father worked there for a time. The building is just plain huge. Most of the production has been moved out of state since the state of NY has been anti-gun. It is sad to see the a building so massive not being used like it once was. When I was there at the museum back then there were examples of their line of guns. Some nice custom guns. I went on factory tour back then, but even then I was surprised at the small production line and few employees. No factory tour I would think the reason is there just not much work being done there anymore. But then I have been at the Buffalo Bill Cody gun museum in Cody WY and have never been to a gun museum that comes close.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Posts: 4810 | Location: SWMO | Registered: October 20, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Doin' what I can
with what I got
Picture of Rob Decker
posted Hide Post
Hope it stays open through the proceedings.

----------------------------------------
Death smiles at us all. Be sure you smile back.

Posts: 5540 | Location: Greater Nashville, TN | Registered: May 11, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
It’s about an hour east of Syracuse, a few miles off the NYS Thruway/I-90. It’s not a large museum, but there are nice displays that begin with company history and move to the present.

The nice lady told me they have close to 1,000 workers and just brought 90 back. They make Remington and Marlins at this plant, no ARs. There’s a nice gift shop.

I’m hesitant to recommend a trip just to see this place, but if you’re in the area it’s worth seeing.

Oh yeah, the photos. Once I send them to Bald 1, I KNOW he'll post them for me.

posted Hide Post
BILLYBONESNY

The Frederick Remington Museum is in Ogdensburg, NY, north of Watertown.

"Dead Midgets Handled With No Questions Asked"

Posts: 686 | Registered: March 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
always with a hat or sunscreen
Picture of bald1
posted Hide Post
Spot on anticipating my response. LOL

Certifiable member of the gun toting, septuagenarian, bucket list workin', crazed retiree, bald is beautiful club!
USN (RET), COTEP #192

Posts: 16146 | Location: Black Hills of South Dakota | Registered: June 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bald1
posted Hide Post
...and the rest. Smile

Certifiable member of the gun toting, septuagenarian, bucket list workin', crazed retiree, bald is beautiful club!
USN (RET), COTEP #192

Posts: 16146 | Location: Black Hills of South Dakota | Registered: June 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bald1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BlackAgnes:
BILLYBONESNY

The Frederic Remington Museum is in Ogdensburg, NY, north of Watertown.

The Remington Arms Museum is located at
14 Hoefler Avenue
Ilion, NY 13357
which is east of Syracuse, about an hours drive in Oneida County.

What you and BillyBones cited is completely different from what Sigmund is posting about. You're talking about an artist, Sigmond is discussing firearms. Just wanting to ensure people don't get confused.

USN (RET), COTEP #192

"Member"
Picture of cas
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Ozarkwoods:
Most of the production has been moved out of state since the state of NY has been anti-gun.

Not true. NY has been anti gun for well over 100 years. They moved production out of NY for the same reason everyone else did, NY is a toxic environment for businesses. Frown

Posts: 21053 | Location: 18th & Fairfax  | Registered: May 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
bald one--

read his post

"Dead Midgets Handled With No Questions Asked"

Posts: 686 | Registered: March 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
To reduce the confusion I started, I've added "Arms" to the thread title.

I may be driving thru Ogdensburg, but it's unlikely I'll visit the Frederick Remington ART Museum.