SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Gettysburg long ago
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Gettysburg long ago Login/Join 
KANE CHARLEY 6
posted
Remember the fallen,and why they fell. It seems the Great American Public is trying to bury our history. I was there July 1-4 ,1938 for 75th and final reunion of The Grand Army of the Republic. I walked the line of Picketts Charge with some CSA Vets. who were a couple years older than I am now.
(I couldn't do that today without my trusty rollator) I fear for the future of our Republic but hope for the best.

Posts: 203 | Location: Sandy,UT (Greatest snow on earth) | Registered: May 13, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Age Quod Agis
Picture of ArtieS
posted Hide Post
Thank you for your memories.

I'm grateful that folk with your attention to history still walk among us.

"I vowed to myself to fight against evil more completely and more wholeheartedly than I ever did before. . . . That’s the only way to pay back part of that vast debt, to live up to and try to fulfill that tremendous obligation."

Alfred Hornik, Sunday, December 2, 1945 to his family, on his continuing duty to others for surviving WW II.

Posts: 12768 | Location: Central Florida | Registered: November 02, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Kuisis
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by HJrocket:
Remember the fallen,and why they fell. It seems the Great American Public is trying to bury our history. I was there July 1-4 ,1938 for 75th and final reunion of The Grand Army of the Republic. I walked the line of Picketts Charge with some CSA Vets. who were a couple years older than I am now.
(I couldn't do that today without my trusty rollator) I fear for the future of our Republic but hope for the best.

That had to be incredible.

Posts: 1129 | Location: Washington PA | Registered: November 23, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lawyers, Guns
and Money
Picture of chellim1
posted Hide Post
^^ well said, ArtieS
Thanks, HJrocket.

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible."
-- Justice Janice Rogers Brown

"The United States government is the largest criminal enterprise on earth."
-rduckwor

Posts: 24066 | Location: St. Louis, MO | Registered: April 03, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks so much for posting about this sir. One of the previous threads where you have talked about your experiences at Gettysburg really struck a chord with me and has remained with me ever since.

When I was a young boy of 12, I was fortunate enough to spend the summer vacation driving across this nation with my family, in a VW Rabbit of all things. We spent the time camping and visiting historical sites, including a long list of both Revolutionary and Civil war battlefields. I had always loved history growing up, and having a mother that was a history professor at one point in her life only added to my love of our country's history.

The Tomb of the Unknown Soldier and the changing of the guard ceremony was one of the most memorable parts of that trip, and of my life as well.

But I can also still remember the 3 days we camped close to Gettysburg. Each day we would become so engrossed with the place that 14 hours of daylight and sightseeing seemed to only last a couple of hours, even with the July heat and humidity.

I still distinctly remember looking up to the ridge as a ranger talked about the charges, and imagining what it must have been like to be a young boy in the Confederate army and being told to take that ridge.

While standing at the top of the ridge, it was equally easy to imagine being a young boy from the Union Army and being asked to keep it. The horror that all of those men and young boys witnessed as case shot and cannister ripped through the lines, and the sounds of cannonade that never seemed to end was also all too easy to imagine. I think it will be impossible for me to forget what it was like to walk that truly hallowed ground.

Reverence is the word that best describes how I felt when visiting Gettysburg, and it absolutely was the same for the Tomb of the Unknown Soldier.

Thanks again for all that you have shared. I for one, would love to know more of what you experienced, saw, heard and felt. It really is a treasure to me to hear of your special connection to this part of our country's history.

Posts: 247 | Location: Utah | Registered: June 16, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Hoping for better pharmaceuticals
Picture of AZSigs
posted Hide Post
I remember my trip as a young child to Gettysburg. Bought a bullet found on the battlegrounds and a infantryman's cartridge pouch. Not bad for an 8 yr old's stash of cash. I doubt if any kid in school learns of this time and battle in our history.
Thanks for sharing your story. Remember the fallen.

Getting shot is no achievement. Hitting your enemy is. NRA Endowment Member . NRA instructor

Posts: 8753 | Location: Peoria, Arizona | Registered: April 02, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
186,000 miles per second.
It's the law.

posted Hide Post
Was there in 1976 and the Diorama museum was fascinating.

Posts: 3251 | Registered: August 19, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I visited in 1975 while traveling with a buddy of mine and his mom. We took our bikes and rode many miles around the battlefield. We had a great time. I wish that I had taken more money with me because at one of the shops I found a Spenser carbine I would have brought back .

Lock N Load

Michael
USMC Ret

Posts: 1450 | Location: Texas | Registered: January 01, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Back, and
to the left
Picture of 83v45magna
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by AZSigs:
I doubt if any kid in school learns of this time and battle in our history.

You're right about that I'm sure. I wrote a paper on Gettysburg in 7th grade that I had to read aloud at the front of the class. My best friend (still) had a dog he named Shiloh. He was a bit of a Civil War buff. So much so he named his firstborn Grant Sheridan. Really, no shit.

The absolute best book I ever read about Gettysburg was 'The Killer Angels'. I highly recommend it.

I returned, and saw under the sun, that the race is not to the swift, nor the battle to the strong, neither yet bread to the wise, nor yet riches to men of understanding, nor yet favour to men of skill; but time and chance happeneth to them all. -Ecclesiastes 9:11

Posts: 7250 | Location: Dallas | Registered: August 04, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
goodheart
Picture of sjtill
posted Hide Post
Hrocket, thank you once again for posting of your memories of that singular event, which was, if I reckon correctly, four score and two years ago. Think about that. Three lifetimes that span the life of this nation.

Posts: 18044 | Location: One hop from Paradise | Registered: July 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
half-genius,
half-wit
posted Hide Post
I worked on TDY in Washington for three successive years in the late '90s, and on each occasion I visited Gettysburg and Arlington.

I never failed to be severely choked up in either location.

We don't just MAKE history, history makes US, and who we are today is because of who we were yesterday.

Posts: 11316 | Location: UK, OR, ONT | Registered: July 10, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diablo Blanco
Picture of dking271
posted Hide Post
I have two places on this earth where time stands still and I am at complete peace. Gettysburg and the Pearl Harbor memorial. I have been to both many times and I am moved each time. Thank you for sharing your experience of that moment you shared. I can’t even imagine how that much of an impact that single event must have had on you.

Posts: 2950 | Location: Middle-TN | Registered: November 05, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
Parents took my brother and I in the mid-80s and I know I went back again once or twice in the mid-90s.

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Something wild
is loose
Picture of Doc H.
posted Hide Post

"And gentlemen in England now abed, shall think themselves accursed they were not here, and hold their manhoods cheap whiles any speaks that fought with us upon Saint Crispin's Day"

Posts: 2746 | Location: The Shire | Registered: October 22, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of SPWAMike0317
posted Hide Post
HJrocket, in a few short sentences you conveyed exactly the reasons why we need touchstones to our past. Hearing the CSA vets must have been a life experience. It is sad that many today cannot grasp the significance of preserving our history, good and bad. I am thankful Gettysburg is under the protection of the Federal government and not Harrisburg.

Let me help you out. Which way did you come in?

Posts: 717 | Location: North of Pittsburgh, PA | Registered: January 29, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Ironbutt
posted Hide Post
I was born in the Gettysburg area & spent the first fifty years of my life living within ten miles of there. We took our kids there often.

I've looked across the field where Picketts Charge took place many times, from both sides, and I still can't imagine the horror.

------------------------------------------------

"It's hard to imagine a more stupid or dangerous way of making decisions, than by putting those decisions in the hands of people who pay no price for being wrong."
Thomas Sowell

Posts: 2048 | Location: PA | Registered: September 01, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Info Guru
Picture of BamaJeepster
posted Hide Post
I'm sharing this video again of the event. It still amazes me that we have a member who was there!

Check out this thread from a couple of years ago - the thread was started about Pickett's charge and you can see HJRocket was about the 3rd or 4th post in the thread and it changed direction.
https://sigforum.com/eve/forums...935/m/1120009344/p/1

“Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passions, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence.”
- John Adams

Posts: 29408 | Location: In the red hinterlands of Deep Blue VA | Registered: June 29, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of powermad
posted Hide Post
I was just there last week wandering around all day.
I'm out here for my Daughters wedding and we went and checked it out first thing.

The area I'm at now the Republic is strong and proud to be an American.
Not sure how the rest of the state is but here is most definitely solid Red.

Posts: 1477 | Location: Portland Oregon | Registered: October 01, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Keeping the economy moving since 1964
Picture of chbibc
posted Hide Post
Thanks for this post. What an experience that must have been. There are two places that made me feel very emotional and somber as I walked their grounds years ago - Gettysburg and Antietam.

-----------------------
You can't fall off the floor.

Posts: 8523 | Location: Rochester, NY behind enemy lines | Registered: March 12, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Res ipsa loquitur
Picture of BB61
posted Hide Post
I was there about ten years ago. It's a must trip IMO.

Posts: 12459 | Registered: October 13, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post