SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Oh man, my 20 year old son's Tacoma drain plug came out and engine is trash. Toyota warranty (extended) won't cover it. Update page 7
Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Oh man, my 20 year old son's Tacoma drain plug came out and engine is trash. Toyota warranty (extended) won't cover it. Update page 7 Login/Join 
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
There is a guy in my neighborhood who is not the sharpest. He did (most of) an oil change in his PT Cruiser.

Drained the old oil, replaced the drain plug, changed the filter. Next day the car would not run. It has been sitting in his driveway for a couple years.

He should have put new oil in it, after draining the old.

Not a kid, either. Probably in his fifties.

Based on some of his past interactions with neighbors, I'll call it karma.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30663 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I spoke with my brother last night. He performed an oil change on his wife’s Corolla. Everything went fine until he discovered most of the new synthetic oil on the ground. He searched for the source. Finally he removed the new oil filter and discovered a hole on the end. A drilled hole. He was dumbfounded.

He inquired out his 18 year old son who confessed to trying to make a homemade silencer using.....a new oil filter he found in the garage. He quickly realized drilling the hole wouldn’t work. He returned the drilled out filter back into the inventory.

Oil everywhere.

P229

Posts: 3825 | Location: Sacramento, CA | Registered: November 21, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I must admit as I get older, I'm not as sharp as I used to be. Last time I changed the oil in my work van. 5 quarts went down the drain.

Luckily I had 5 more quarts at the shop, put the oil plug back in and was good. Thing that sucked . is was synthetic.

First time in over 40 years.

"Once abolish the God, and the Government becomes the God." --- G.K. Chesterton

Posts: 3856 | Location: WNY | Registered: April 11, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Russ59:
I spoke with my brother last night. He performed an oil change on his wife’s Corolla. Everything went fine until he discovered most of the new synthetic oil on the ground. He searched for the source. Finally he removed the new oil filter and discovered a hole on the end. A drilled hole. He was dumbfounded.

He inquired out his 18 year old son who confessed to trying to make a homemade silencer using.....a new oil filter he found in the garage. He quickly realized drilling the hole wouldn’t work. He returned the drilled out filter back into the inventory.

Oil everywhere.

A young thinking man, kudos, sorry He tried to put it back in stock!

"Once abolish the God, and the Government becomes the God." --- G.K. Chesterton

Posts: 3856 | Location: WNY | Registered: April 11, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
paradox in a box
Picture of frayedends
posted Hide Post
I must say I am encouraged by my younger son. He came over today to do his front brakes. We did the rear a month ago. He is a senior in high school. He paid for some online class to see how to take apart his bmw 335i.

He came with tools and a torque wrench. He had the torque specs for the caliper and lugs. He did most of the work himself. I’m impressed. He may be going to auto tech school next year. My older son is the brains. Economics and business major. His younger brother will be fixing his cars and he will be handling the finances. Big Grin

These go to eleven.

Posts: 12436 | Location: Westminster, MA | Registered: November 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Truth Wins
Picture of Micropterus
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by frayedends:
Quick update. I didn’t get any more details but he did contact insurance. Insurance feels if oil was changed 2000 miles ago then this is a warranty issue. They are going to send someone to the dealer on Monday. They were not happy that the dealer didn’t investigate the cause once they saw oil all over the pan.

I do not know what was said to either the dealer or insurance. Hopefully they fight it out and someone covers it. If I’m prepared to pay if nothing comes of it.

This at least sounds hopeful.

Posts: 4285 | Location: In The Swamp | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of giz55792
posted Hide Post
quote:
I've asked him to send me the warranty paperwork. They are telling him he can't change his own oil.

Under the extended warranty I have on my Silverado, ALL work has to be done by an ASE Certified mechanic or one of the certified oil change places.

Posts: 711 | Location: Virginia, MN | Registered: October 01, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sourdough44
posted Hide Post
About 12-15 months ago I did a home tire rotation on the son’s vehicle.

Driving a few days later I felt an unusual vibration, some noise. Once home I did a lug nut check, the one wheel was barely finger tight.

I’m usually very careful about checking things, obviously fell short this time. Just saying, most anyone can have a momentary lapse.

Posts: 6159 | Location: WI | Registered: February 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Cynic
Picture of charlie12
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Micropterus:
I see why your username is Frayed Ends. I know it sucks. I have some boneheaded sons, too. But it's not life altering, at least in the long run.

I'd call around and find a shop that does Jasper replacement engines. I had a Jasper replacement transmission in an old Dodge I owned and it worked perfect for years and many miles until I sold it. Jasper is good stuff and is relatively inexpensive. Comes with a good warranty, too.

My buddy installs more Jasper engines and transmissions than any other shop in this area. He's been doing them for a long time. They have a great warranty like you posted 3 yr or 100,000 mile warranty and it's transferable

Posts: 13020 | Location: Pride, Louisiana | Registered: August 14, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Dances With
Tornados
posted Hide Post
We all forget things. Wife Husband kids friends phone ringing etc.

That’s why Pilots have checklists.

Maybe we should get a notebook and start creating our own checklists. When satisfied we can put them in the computer and print out when we need to use one.

None of us is infallible. Fit Schappens!

RV’ers need checklists too.

Thats the general idea.

Check the ego pride, be smart.

Posts: 11840 | Registered: October 26, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by powermad:

$38,000 for a new 7/8 engine + labor. Won't have to fight warranty too much for this one.
Volvo warranty isn't to bad, Cummins on the other hand are a bunch of pricks that fight you all the way getting stuff covered and paid for.

That comment about cummins made me giggle. I was one of their parts managers/warranty people for cummins for about 18 years in Portland. What shop do you work for? Good odds we know each other. I left there 3 years ago because of how badly they were treating customers as well as me as an employee. I used to love that place, it was the best job ever right up until cummins bought all of their distributors in 2013 and started enforcing very unfriendly policies for customers. I had good relationships with every dealer in the northwest before all of that happened then things went to shit in 2016 so I left a year later.

Posts: 548 | Location: washington state. | Registered: June 30, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
That rug really tied
the room together.
Picture of bubbatime
posted Hide Post
Toyota (and Honda) and others, use a one time use only crush washer on the drain plug. This drain plug crush washer cost about $0.50-0.75 and MUST be changed with every oil change. A LOT of shade tree guys never change these one time use crush washers, and this is the kind of thing that can happen. The plug vibrates loose, and you dump 4 quarts of oil onto the highway 500-2000 miles later.

When you buy a new car that takes these crush washers, and you do your own oil changes, have them throw in a lifetime supply of them with the sale. I always get the Honda (or Toyota) parts department to give me a big bag full of them.

I'm thinking the OP's son didn't change the crush washer, and the drain plug vibrated lose. He saved 50 cents on the oil change, but a new engine cost him $6000 in the end.... hopefully a lesson learned.

Posts: 6661 | Location: Floriduh | Registered: October 16, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
eh-TEE-oh-clez
Picture of Aeteocles
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by OKCGene:
We all forget things. Wife Husband kids friends phone ringing etc.

That’s why Pilots have checklists.

Maybe we should get a notebook and start creating our own checklists. When satisfied we can put them in the computer and print out when we need to use one.

None of us is infallible. Fit Schappens!

RV’ers need checklists too.

Thats the general idea.

Check the ego pride, be smart.

There's a book I read and like titled The Checklist Manifesto.

It's written by a surgeon who introduced surgical checklists in hospitals in developing countries after studying how checklists were used by pilots.

I use checklists in my work now, as it reduces mental overhead. I can worry about the task at hand without devoting mental energy in trying not to forget future tasks on a project.

Posts: 13048 | Location: Orange County, California | Registered: May 19, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
paradox in a box
Picture of frayedends
posted Hide Post
Quick update. Insurance is apparently covering it. At least they are covering $4000. I still gave my son $1500 to help cover the rest. He is going to confirm the quotes he got and have it done for the best price.

Things I know or suspect:
I asked him to confirm the amount he’s getting is t based on the Toyota quote. In other words I was concerned he would get less if he went somewhere else. His mom said insurance was sending them the cash. I assume they base it off the insurance estimate minus the deductible.

I suspect his mom is not being completely honest and is getting more than $4k. I could ask for confirmation but that’s not worth the battle. If my money helps him buy a cheaper car I’m okay with that.

So at least there is a path forward and everyone saved money except me. I didn’t really need a new gun or money for his college. Lol.

These go to eleven.

Posts: 12436 | Location: Westminster, MA | Registered: November 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
safe & sound
Picture of a1abdj
posted Hide Post
quote:
I suspect his mom is not being completely honest and is getting more than $4k

I'm confident she's not getting anything at all. If he still has it financed that check is coming with the name of the lender on it as well, and/or the repair shop. That money will either go towards the repair or the balance of the loan.

www.zykansafe.com

Posts: 15716 | Location: St. Charles, MO, USA | Registered: September 22, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
eh-TEE-oh-clez
Picture of Aeteocles
posted Hide Post
Well, sounds like that turned out better than I could have hoped for. Is $1500 the deductible? Thus, $6000 repair bill, so the insurance sends $6000 less the $1500 deductible (netting your son the $4500)?

Perhaps you should get your contribution back from your son when he sells the Tacoma and downgrades cars. Let him carry a small car note, it will improve his credit and interest rates are low these days.

Last bit of advice, send a friendly email to Toyota corporate and see if they can contribute to some portion of the repair. I have had luck with an out of warranty repair bill for my Subaru last year, and I sent Subaru a nice letter about how I love the brand, and would totally be stoked if they could find a way to make the repair more affordable. Subaru called the dealer, and they worked it out that corporate would contribute $800 of the $1300 bill to replace the torque converter.

Posts: 13048 | Location: Orange County, California | Registered: May 19, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
paradox in a box
Picture of frayedends
posted Hide Post
A1: yeah regardless if they send it to the dealer or them doesn’t change anything really. I don’t see why they would send it to financing company as then it wouldn’t get repaired.

Aeteocles: I’ll give that a shot. He just called me and asked if he should just have Toyota do the work. He could save about $1000 by going elsewhere but he’d need it towed. Plus at least if he trades he can say it was repaired by Toyota. I didn’t ask his deductible. Sometimes too many questions with my ex wife involved just isn’t worth it.

These go to eleven.

My other Sig
is a Steyr.
Picture of .38supersig
posted Hide Post
It is good to see that it is working out for you.

Posts: 9152 | Location: Somewhere looking for ammo that nobody has at a place I haven't been to for a pistol I couldn't live without... | Registered: December 02, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
safe & sound
Picture of a1abdj
posted Hide Post
quote:
A1: yeah regardless if they send it to the dealer or them doesn’t change anything really. I don’t see why they would send it to financing company as then it wouldn’t get repaired.

It prevents the mother from pocketing any of the money. It would get to the finance company for their endorsement, which would likely only occur after the repairs are near completion or complete. Makes sure that the repairs are made and the money isn't spent elsewhere.

www.zykansafe.com

Posts: 15716 | Location: St. Charles, MO, USA | Registered: September 22, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gracie Allen is my
personal savior!
posted Hide Post
quote:
My older son is the brains. Economics and business major. His younger brother will be fixing his cars and he will be handling the finances. Big Grin

That sounds like a dealership in the making!

Posts: 27293 | Location: Deep in the heart of the brush country, and closing on that #&*%!?! roadrunner. Really. | Registered: February 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post