SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Oh man, my 20 year old son's Tacoma drain plug came out and engine is trash. Toyota warranty (extended) won't cover it. Update page 7
Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Oh man, my 20 year old son's Tacoma drain plug came out and engine is trash. Toyota warranty (extended) won't cover it. Update page 7 Login/Join 
Dances With
Tornados
posted Hide Post
There's entirely too much speculation here, and the resulting answers posted are shots in the dark because we don't know exactly what happened and resulted from that happening.

Accurate succinct details are needed. No opinions, just the facts.

It does no good to not have the facts of the matter.

Why did the engine lose oil? What caused the oil loss.

That's the crux of the matter.

When I was younger I spent 15 years as a damn good service advisor at new car dealerships. Absolute clear understanding and the ability to communicate from the mechanic to the car owner must be crystal clear.

I've seen this sort of thing happen, and the wild off the mark remarks being made.

It would be of great help if you could speak to the shop, to the appropriate person who knows exactly what the problem is. Then you can go from there.

Best wishes to you.

Posts: 11840 | Registered: October 26, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
See if you can find a JDM engine.
https://jdmenginedirect.com/toyota-
These are low mileage, complete engines. All accessories installed, plug and play.
I researched them a few years ago for a replacement engine for a Camry and it was the best deal out there.

Posts: 300 | Location: Canyon Lake, TX | Registered: December 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by frayedends:
quote:
Originally posted by 1KPerDay:
My 21 year old son just burned up his engine after holing his drain pan. What's with these kids. The OIL LIGHT is the MOST IMPORTANT LIGHT in the car. LOL

I honestly can't say if this is his fault. He says it lost all the oil at once while driving. I don't know for certain. But it went 2K without a drop on the driveway. His mom would shoot him if any got on the driveway (he doesn't live with me).

quote:
Originally posted by konata88:
Yipes. Comprehensive insurance coverage? Home equity loc? Sell some ammo stockpile? Sell some guns? Combination thereof?

I told him to call insurance. Who knows. It can't hurt.

Read the warranty to see about oil changes. Is that a Toyota warranty or some third party? I fear that a third party warranty company will be very hard to deal with - they have a poor reputation. It may take a lot of screaming and yelling to get them to act.

I doubt insurance will cover it unless he can show some road hazard caused the failure - an accident, in other words. Insurance doesn't cover shoddy maintenance, generally speaking. But ask, it can't hurt.

And the oil pressure light should have come on as soon as he lost a significant volume of oil. He should have stopped right then, and even with a sudden loss of oil, he could have pulled over quick enough. But we all know that.

It is hard to imagine that someone loosened the plug. That is movie shit - does anyone know a case where that really happened? It seems like an unlikely explanation. I think a not adequately tightened plug is the likleiest culprit. Maybe he omitted the washer?

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53122 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
delicately calloused
Picture of darthfuster
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by F_L:
See if you can find a JDM engine.
https://jdmenginedirect.com/toyota-
These are low mileage, complete engines. All accessories installed, plug and play.
I researched them a few years ago for a replacement engine for a Camry and it was the best deal out there.

That’s what I was thinking but couldn’t remember what they are called. JDM engines are what I think would be the least expensive way out of this. It’ll be a bit before its back on the road but you’ll have a factory built motor back in it and if he keeps it for a decade or more, the loss in value will be negligible. That’s what my friend’s brother did and it worked out.

You’re a lying dog-faced pony soldier

Posts: 29695 | Location: Highland, Ut. | Registered: May 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
paradox in a box
Picture of frayedends
posted Hide Post
Guys, I appreciate all the replies. I really do. Some of you should remember the rule about reading a thread before posting. Lots of things that were already discussed are being repeated.

Anyhow, as far as him replacing the engine, not an option. I mean there is a good likelihood he screwed up an oil change. With all the crap attached to today's engines it just isn't a risk that is worth it. I have plenty of mechanical skills but I wouldn't try to deal with an entire motor swap. I wouldn't even have the tools to do it.

As for why it's my problem, well, he's my kid. He is in college and needs a vehicle to get there and to work. So it's not my problem but any good dad would help their kid if they could. As long as it hurts him as much as me and there is a lesson taught then it will be worth it.

I'll update as soon as I find out what he is going to do.

I did say earlier, he wants to fix it, sell it, and get something more affordable. I'm hoping he can do that without too much financial loss.

These go to eleven.

Posts: 12436 | Location: Westminster, MA | Registered: November 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
paradox in a box
Picture of frayedends
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by smlsig:
Frayed, I’m sorry to read about your son’s issues and don’t have anything to add except that when he’s back on the road consider installing a Fumoto oil drain valve in place of the plug. We have these is all our vehicles except the Porsche and they work great....and make changing the oil a breeze.

http://www.fumotousa.com/parts...=F103N&partnumber=30

Thanks for that link! I'm definitely going to get one for my car if I it will fit. I'm sick of getting oil all over my hand anyhow. Once he figures his deal out I'll get one for him too.

These go to eleven.

Posts: 12436 | Location: Westminster, MA | Registered: November 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Ozarkwoods
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BigJoe:
Yea....To say it "shot out" implies the plug exploded out of the pan. My first thought is he didn't tighten the plug all the way, but that would most likely see some evidence of slowly leaking oil. If there isn't any kind of damage at all, could it be likely someone tampered with the plug? Maybe loosened the plug, and put some kind of stopper in there so it might shoot out later?

Exactly what I was thinking, or over torqued. I would closely examine the oil pan the threads on the drain plug hole.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Posts: 4835 | Location: SWMO | Registered: October 20, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just because you can,
doesn't mean you should
posted Hide Post
At this point, the exact reason the plug came out isn't that important. Most seem to agree that no warranty is going to cover this and it's unlikely that insurance will either.
Sounded like the original question was, how to best get the truck back on the road to salvage the situation, with limited means and options.

Posts: 9505 | Location: NE GA | Registered: August 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Middle children
of history
Picture of Brett B
posted Hide Post
Does he have any friends that work on cars? Swapping out a complete engine (not rebuilding one) can be done on a driveway with an engine hoist and standard mechanics hand tools. It will cost him a JDM replacement engine and a whole bunch of beer and pizza for the friends.

If not then he needs to find a good independent shop that works on Toyotas. They can probably recommend a replacement or rebuilt engine to swap out. This would be the second least expensive way for him to get out from under this issue. It should cost half of what the dealer wants.

If not covered by warranty the dealer is the last place I would go to resolve this.

-------------------------
SCAR forend upgrades:
www.regosys.com
www.instagram.com/regosystems/

Posts: 2597 | Location: Midwest | Registered: September 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Brett B:
Does he have any friends that work on cars? Swapping out a complete engine (not rebuilding one) can be done on a driveway with an engine hoist and standard mechanics hand tools. It will cost him a JDM replacement engine and a whole bunch of beer and pizza for the friends.

They will sell you an engine, and some locations will install, mighe be worth trailering it down to them in NY...

https://jdmnewyork.com/

Posts: 23439 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Finding a mechanic that moonlights to install a used engine is probably the cheapest option, beside him doing the work himself.

P229

Posts: 3825 | Location: Sacramento, CA | Registered: November 21, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Cynic
Picture of charlie12
posted Hide Post
I've been around vehicles and my friend's shop for a long time and never heard of a plug falling out. And one not leaking if there was a problem.

My buddy had a wrecker pull up at his shop with a Jeep on it. They wrecker driver said he picked it up for a customer and told to deliver it at my friend's shop.
My friend asked the wrecker driver what the problem was and was told the oil filter fell off and burned up the engine.

So they got it off the wrecker and pushed it into the shop and picked it up on the rack.
The filter was gone but there was NO oil splattered anywhere.
Now my buddy has been a mechanic and shop owner for many years.

He knew something was up and called the Jeep owner to find out what happened. Jeep owner said he was driving down the road and the filter fell off and burnt up his engine.
My buddy asked him when the oil was changed last and who did it. Then Jeep owner said Walmart did it.
Didn't take my buddy long to figure out the guy was trying to get Walmart to buy him a new engine.
So my buddy put a new filter on it and the correct amount of oil and started it up. It ran fine and no leaks or noise.

The Jeep owner had already called Walmart to make a claim. So then the people that handle that for Walmart came to the shop investigate. My buddy told them there was no way that the filter came off driving and no oil anywhere under the Jeep and that the Jeep ran perfect. And the guy was just wanting Walmart to buy him a new motor.

They busted the Jeep owner for fraud.

Posts: 13020 | Location: Pride, Louisiana | Registered: August 14, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Cynic
Picture of charlie12
posted Hide Post
Is the extended warranty from Toyota or some other extended warranty place?

Posts: 13020 | Location: Pride, Louisiana | Registered: August 14, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A Grateful American
Picture of sigmonkey
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by frayedends:... I did say earlier, he wants to fix it, sell it, and get something more affordable. I'm hoping he can do that without too much financial loss.

Unfortunate that you are "way up there" and I am "way down here", cuz I would step up and provide tools, space and assistance with his engine swap, at no cost. (Well, OK, he could buy me lunch or supper).

Because, his choice path is a good one, and I would encourage it.

Maybe ask around at machine shops, or such on possibility of finding someone knowledgeable who can assist him. A lot of people would be happy to help, not enough young people that want to do things like this, and even if he only worked on fixing this truck, it would go a long way in him with other "I've never done this before..." things in life he will encounter.

Good luck! Smile

"the meaning of life, is to give life meaning" Ani Yehudi אני יהודי Le'olam lo shuv לעולם לא שוב!

Posts: 43876 | Location: ...... I am thrice divorced, and I live in a van DOWN BY THE RIVER!!! (in Arkansas) | Registered: December 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Greymann
posted Hide Post
I don't know if its been mentioned but some auto salvage yards will install an engine for you. You should call around and see if you can find decent used engine at salvage yards
Most salvage yards offer a warranty.

Sorry to hear about your son's misfortune.

Posts: 1555 | Location: New Mexico | Registered: March 21, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I have a very particular
set of skills
posted Hide Post
I haven't read all through the thread, but pretty sure there's something 'official' where you're able to do your own oil changes/maintenance. Hopefully he has a receipt/documentation that could back that up.

ETA: Here's some info from the Federal Trade Commision:

https://www.consumer.ftc.gov/a...-routine-maintenance

And as others said inquired...no warning/lights?

If they were functional/working properly, he'll have to explain why he didn't heed them...

But in all likelihood, if he did the oil change himself, you can expect the insurance company to probably fight you on it...any excuse to avoid paying a claim...

Doing your own maintenance can be great...until something like this happens...then it can get very costly, particularly if you're not an ASE certified mechanic...

$.02 worth,
Boss

A real life Sisyphus...
"It's not the critic who counts..." TR
Exodus 23.2: Do not follow the crowd in doing wrong...
Despite some people's claims to the contrary, 5 lbs. is actually different than 12 lbs.
It's never simple/easy.

Posts: 4991 | Location: In the arena... | Registered: December 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of TigerDore
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by trapper189:
Think of it this way:
If he had taken it to a quick change place and the plug subsequently fell out, would that be covered under Toyota's warranty?

I doubt it, unless he can demonstrate the plugging system was defective and simply failed.

If it fell out because it was never properly tightened, that isn't a manufacturing defect. It would fall on whoever didn't properly tighten it. In the case above, it would be the liability of the oil-change shop- if you can prove they were at fault.

Posts: 8621 | Registered: September 26, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of powermad
posted Hide Post
Just poking around for used engines looks like around $2,500.
Then labor to swap it out.

For a crank, rod and other stuff is looking to be around $1,200 - $1,500
The crank is is $700 for a new one.
That's if you do it.
A shop will mark up the parts 50% or more and then labor.
The dealership at this point is going to be the most expensive option so an independent shop would be the best bet.

This showed up earlier this week, 2020 Volvo VHD plow truck with 4,000 miles on it.
The guy was pushing snow and it went bang.

No ECM data as it beat the ECM to death along with everything else in the way.

Got really hot though and the cap looks like it may have been loose.

$38,000 for a new 7/8 engine + labor. Won't have to fight warranty too much for this one.
Volvo warranty isn't to bad, Cummins on the other hand are a bunch of pricks that fight you all the way getting stuff covered and paid for.

Posts: 1477 | Location: Portland Oregon | Registered: October 01, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
paradox in a box
Picture of frayedends
posted Hide Post
Sigmonkey it’s awesome that you would make such an offer if we were closer. We have such a great forum.

My son isn’t mechanically inclined. Honestly I’m surprised he was changing his own oil. I did it for him a couple of times and tried to show him but he wasn’t that interested. I never expected him to do it alone and he didn’t even mention it me until recently.

Surprisingly his younger brother helped me do the brakes on his car and is interested in auto mechanic school after he graduates high school this year. Of course I tried to get him to go to the vocational high school and he refused. These kids are slowly learning that their dad isn’t so dumb after all.

Anyhow we have a path forward. He has made some calls. He found a used engine for $2700 and about $1500 install. He has $2000 savings and I will help him with the rest (loan, not free money). I do wish we had time and resources to do this job ourselves. But he does need to be back on the road ASAP.

These go to eleven.

Picture of jtedescucci
posted Hide Post
Don't mean to rain on your parade but I think it's pretty common for dealerships to require that maintenance work be done by the dealer for the warranty to remain in effect.

"...we have put together I think the most extensive & inclusive voter fraud organization in the history of American politics." - Joe Biden

Posts: 3043 | Location: AC/Clarksville | Registered: February 13, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post