SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Where was your first college visit and did you end up there?
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Where was your first college visit and did you end up there? Login/Join 
Shit don't
mean shit
posted Hide Post
I grew up in NJ and hated it. Went to a community college for 1.5 years after high school. Applied to a few schools out west and got accepted to Colorado State University. Never went to see the campus. Packed up my 67 4-4-2 convertible and drove the 2,000 miles from NJ to Colorado, site unseen.

Best decision I ever made.

Posts: 5759 | Location: 7400 feet in Conifer CO | Registered: November 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Partial dichotomy
posted Hide Post
Nope. First college I visited was SMU, then Southern Massachusetts University....now part of the UMASS campus. I went to Massachusetts Maritime Academy and so glad I did!

SIGforum: For all your needs!
Imagine our influence if every gun owner in America was an NRA member! Click the box>>>

Posts: 38642 | Location: SC Lowcountry/Cape Cod | Registered: November 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Festina Lente
Picture of feersum dreadnaught
posted Hide Post
First stop on the east coast college tour was Dartmouth, with the tail end at Duke. Mom’s dreams. I doubted I could get in, and knew how much they’d cost if I did.

Stopped off in Annapolis, thought mom was heading towards St Johns, but ended up at the Naval Academy. Felt a bit strange wandering about with my Northern CA late 70s shoulder length hair amongst the shaven head plebes.

Met a newly commissioned Ensign in the Candidate Guidance office who asked if I had ever rowed. He was the captain of the team that spring. He had just come back from the Pan-American Games, and was heading to the Olympic Team. He introduced me to the Plebe Crew Coach. Was recruited to row, so only ended up applying to USNA. Realized I had an opportunity to do my own thing and end parental controls, so went for it.

Could not get an appointment from CA senators, or my then congressman Ron Dellums, so ended up at USNA Prep School in Newport, RI for a year, then got a Secretary of the Navy appointment. Rowed heavyweight crew all 4 years, won 3 team natl championships, graduated in 1985 with a BS in oceanography, served on the USS IOWA, and rest is history.

NRA Life Member - "Fear God and Dreadnaught"

Posts: 8295 | Location: in the red zone of the blue state, CT | Registered: October 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Equal Opportunity Mocker
Picture of slabsides45
posted Hide Post
First college visit was Ole Miss. My childhood best friend's family were big fans, and invited me during our 8th grade fall to go with them to a game. It was a weekend of many firsts:

1) my first college football game.
2) first time being in "The Grove"
3) first time seeing frat row after an Ole Miss football game victory
4) first time seeing a band named "Eli" (think Van Halen cover band, done surprisingly well)
5) first time realizing the power a band had over inebriated college girls
6) first time seeing undergarments thrown on stage, with said girls gleefully demonstrating that they were in fact bra-less.
7) first time seeing boobies
8) first time seeing people puking like mad in the Pike house pool....

The list could go on, but it was a very educational trip. I did NOT end up attending there, but must say that if there was ever a better party night, I clearly have yet to see it.

"You cannot legislate the poor into freedom by legislating the wealthy out of freedom. What one person receives without working for, another person must work for without receiving."
-Dr. Adrian Rogers

Posts: 6389 | Location: Mogadishu on the Mississippi | Registered: February 26, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of TAP
posted Hide Post
Visited Iowa State first and loved it.
Ended up going to Ohio State and did feel lost in the masses there. Should have gone to the former.
First impressions should never be ignored.

Posts: 831 | Location: Portland, OR. | Registered: October 10, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
thin skin can't win
Picture of Georgeair
posted Hide Post
Born in AL, it's sorta narrowed down at that moment in time. Raised in Tuskegee, two sisters went to Auburn and my dad worked with a firm that did a lot of concrete work there.

War Eagle.

Or, as we like to say I got my school loyalty and spirit on campus. Bammers got theirs at Wal-Mart.

You only have integrity once. - imprezaguy02

Posts: 12399 | Location: Madison, MS | Registered: December 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Husband, Father, Aggie,
all around good guy!
Picture of HK Ag
posted Hide Post
Visited Texas A&M a couple of times beginning as a high school Freshman for FFA competitions Livestock Judging, Meat Judging etc. Loved it. Took an official visit as a senior to skip a day of school.

Graduated from there in '91!

Officially my first college visit was actually UofH but I was a first grader and my teacher was tutoring me as part of a study/project that she was undergoing best I can recollect. Ms. Simon great teacher!

HK Ag

Posts: 3498 | Location: Tomball, Texas | Registered: August 09, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post