SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Where was your first college visit and did you end up there?
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Where was your first college visit and did you end up there? Login/Join 
Picture of reloader-1
posted Hide Post
Went to only one visit, the University of Miami.

As part of the tour, they took us by the dorms. Right out in front, was a huge grassy area, where dozens of shapely coeds were tanning in bikinis.

Academically, it’s a fine school, and I appreciate the education I received - but I know exactly when my decision was made. Wink

Posts: 2325 | Location: S. FL | Registered: October 26, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
NC State, as part of a natural resources workshop just out of high school. A few weeks later, I was in the Navy but came away from the NC State visit with the impression that was where I needed to be.

After service, it was community college and then the local college 20 miles away from home.

Posts: 3221 | Registered: August 03, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of HayesGreener
posted Hide Post
Western Illinois University in 1969. Did one semester and answered the pull of the Air Force. If there had been dozens of co-eds in bikinis outside my dorm I probably would have stayed. Took the long route with the GI Bill getting my degrees and don't regret it.

CMSGT USAF (Retired)
Chief of Police (Retired)

Posts: 4358 | Location: Florida Panhandle | Registered: September 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not really from Vienna
Picture of arfmel
posted Hide Post
Visited Texas A&M. Ended up at UT Austin.

Posts: 26904 | Location: Jerkwater, Texas | Registered: January 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Right out of the Air Force, went to Penn State, PA resident, affordable (back then), no brainer.

First year there, new van socked in up to the roof with snow, decided to transfer.
This time, I visited first to see if I’d like it.

Came up over the sand dunes along the beach, saw the beautiful tourqoise water break into a perfect curl, and said not only “yeah,” but “Hell Yeah!!” To the Florida Inst. of Technology. Finished out my degree there. Three years of fun and sun.

Posts: 817 | Location: FL | Registered: September 19, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I never really had a college visit - I grew up in Maryland and had a friend that lived near the College Park campus, so I drove through the campus often. Enlisted in the Air Force at age 18. The military used the University of Maryland - University College (the night school) and held classes at military bases all over the world. My degree was paid for by tuition reimbursement and the GI bill. It took me 10 years to get a BS business degree!

It was a great school, most of the instructors were part time and actually worked in business. At one point, there were more members of the Joint Chiefs of Staff who had graduated from UMUC than the service academies.

----------------------------------------------------
Dances with Crabgrass

Posts: 2183 | Location: East Virginia | Registered: October 12, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Visited SMU and stayed there through post grad. Easy application- just two questions:
1. Are you needing less than 10k in financial aid, and
2. Is your golf handicap less than 10.

Answer “yes” to both and you were in.
I kid....

I Drink & I Know Things

Posts: 352 | Location: Fort Worth, Texas | Registered: February 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Baroque Bloke
Picture of Pipe Smoker
posted Hide Post
Not counting marching band visits to several Missouri colleges and universities, my first college visit was to Missouri School of Mines, an engineering school, now named Missouri University of Science and Technology. And yes, I attended and graduated MSM.

Serious about crackers

Posts: 8951 | Location: San Diego | Registered: July 26, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Blackmore
posted Hide Post
Define "visit". We did drive throughs at half a dozen during my junior year w/o speaking to anyone. However, my sole college interview was in August prior to my senior year. At the end, the admissions counselor said, "If you really want to attend Bates College, I would strongly suggest you apply early decision." (wink, wink; nudge, nudge; say no more, say no more).

I did, was accepted right after Thanksgiving and graduated 4 years later.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Blackmore,

Truth: The New Hate Speech

Posts: 3450 | Location: W. Central NH | Registered: October 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I never "visited" a university, I just knew I was going to Oklahoma State.....and I went there.

"If you think everything's going to be alright, you don't understand the problem!"- Gutpile Charlie
"A man's got to know his limitations" - Harry Callahan

Posts: 9249 | Location: Indian Territory, USA | Registered: March 23, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Grew up on a campus but that doesn't count. Applied to two schools and got accepted to both. Visited both over spring break. It snowed at one and was 70 at 7am at the other. Easy decision for a CA kid. Ended up dropping out after two years, working, and going back to school elsewhere. Met the wife at the first school.

Posts: 4278 | Location: Peoples Republic of Berkeley | Registered: June 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I believe in the
principle of
Due Process
Picture of JALLEN
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Pipe Smoker:
Not counting marching band visits to several Missouri colleges and universities, my first college visit was to Missouri School of Mines, an engineering school, now named Missouri University of Science and Technology. And yes, I attended and graduated MSM.

One of my Navy OCS roommates was a student there, in Rolla, IIRC. He would have graduated in 1968.

Luckily, I have enough willpower to control the driving ambition that rages within me.

When you had the votes, we did things your way. Now, we have the votes and you will be doing things our way. This lesson in political reality from Lyndon B. Johnson

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible." - Justice Janice Rogers Brown

Posts: 48369 | Location: Texas hill country | Registered: July 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of arflattop
posted Hide Post
Being a Virginia resident at the time, the only choice financially was Va Tech. I applied for early acceptance and was accepted, so I knew early on where I was going.

JPFO Life Member

Posts: 1216 | Location: Heartland of KY | Registered: January 24, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Legalize the Constitution
Picture of TMats
posted Hide Post
Went to a reception for prospective students for the University of Colorado-Boulder at a hotel in Phoenix. Just too expensive for an Arizona resident. Ended up staying in state, Yavapai CC in Prescott, then down to UofA in Tucson. Great decision

Posts: 13258 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: January 10, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Do No Harm,
Do Know Harm
posted Hide Post
My dream was to graduate from the US Naval Academy. Busted my ass my entire high school career for it.

The summer between my Jr. and Sr. years of high school I was selected for their summer program, spent a week there, staying in the dorms. It was understood that if you could get accepted to the summer program and not flunk your senior year, you were probably getting admitted.

I kept my grades up but the two congressional nominations from my area were used up and I was in the "leftovers" pool. Didn't make the cut.

Everything after was second place (Virginia Military Institute for a year). Or third (local community college), fourth (another local community college), and fifth (UNC-Wilmington). Meh. took 6 years to graduate with a B.A., working full-time (double time for much of it) as a paramedic to pay the bills, as mommy and daddy weren't helping. Graduated with a 3.88, though.

The adventure has been interesting either way.

Knowing what one is talking about is widely admired but not strictly required here.

Although sometimes distracting, there is often a certain entertainment value to this easy standard.
-JALLEN

"All I need is a WAR ON DRUGS reference and I got myself a police thread BINGO." -jljones

Posts: 11448 | Location: NC | Registered: August 16, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Funny Man
Picture of TXJIM
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by JALLEN:

<snip>

There is a scholarship presentation this week at which some band member will receive a scholarship in my name which I funded ~10-12 years ago. I believe we have several dozen to distribute now funded by various alum.

\m/

That is quite a legacy, good on you for setting it up. I have never participated in band and neither of my two boys do. I don't think many outsiders realize how hard those kids work and how dedicated they are to what they do. My kid's high school band is top rated and they put in a ton of hours in the heat, rain or shine. They work just as hard, and likely harder, than the football players.

Posts: 7093 | Location: Austin, TX | Registered: June 29, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Caribou gorn
Picture of YellowJacket
posted Hide Post
I applied to one college, never formally visited the college, and that's where I went. I knew what I wanted to do and where I was going to do it. Had known since I was 13.

I'm gonna vote for the funniest frog with the loudest croak on the highest log.

Posts: 10487 | Location: Marietta, GA | Registered: February 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Drill Here, Drill Now
Picture of tatortodd
posted Hide Post
I only visited my first choice which was Purdue. I applied to 2 other engineering schools but didn't bother to visit them. I received my BSME from Purdue.

Ego is the anesthesia that deadens the pain of stupidity

DISCLAIMER: These are the author's own personal views and do not represent the views of the author's employer.

Posts: 23254 | Location: Northern Suburbs of Houston | Registered: November 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I believe in the
principle of
Due Process
Picture of JALLEN
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by TXJIM:

That is quite a legacy, good on you for setting it up. I have never participated in band and neither of my two boys do. I don't think many outsiders realize how hard those kids work and how dedicated they are to what they do. My kid's high school band is top rated and they put in a ton of hours in the heat, rain or shine. They work just as hard, and likely harder, than the football players.

Not to mention the effort to learn to play a musical instrument at an acceptable level.

And, when you have become one of the best in the country after 4 years playing in college, you aren’t going to be drafted and forced to play in the worst band in Kansas City for $1.3 million a year, either.

As far as the scholarship goes, I worked night and day to get through college, part time jobs, playing in dance bands, etc. constant financial pressures. I never got a penny for playing in the
UT band, which I was happy to do for free. I would have killed somebody for a scholarship then. Decades later, I was fortunate enough to be in a position to do this and it has been a source of pride and satisfaction to me ever since.

Luckily, I have enough willpower to control the driving ambition that rages within me.

When you had the votes, we did things your way. Now, we have the votes and you will be doing things our way. This lesson in political reality from Lyndon B. Johnson

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible." - Justice Janice Rogers Brown

Posts: 48369 | Location: Texas hill country | Registered: July 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
:^)
Picture of BillyBonesNY
posted Hide Post
First college visit, SUNY Purchase.

Ended up freshman year at Bard College, transferred to School of Visual Arts (photography), then to SUNY New Paltz, Gold and Silver Smithing BFA.

The original plan was to attend ICETLM, Liege Belgium to study engraving.
Unfortunately due to a health condition I could not attend.

----------------------------------------
http://lonesurvivorfoundation.org

Posts: 7179 | Registered: March 19, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post