SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Where was your first college visit and did you end up there?
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Where was your first college visit and did you end up there? Login/Join 
Raised Hands Surround Us
Three Nails To Protect Us
Picture of Black92LX
posted
I grabbed a random t shirt out of the closet tonight and it was an old tattered shirt I picked up on my first college visit.

Trenton State had just become The College of New Jersey. Their big tout for the upcoming year was to have one computer in each dorm for student use.

I did not end up there. Spent two years at Wittenberg University and two years at Xavier University.

Though I guess technically my first college visit was actually to Penn State with my older brother he ended up at Purdue.

Kind of wonder how different my life would be had I gone to TCNJ?

————————————————
The world's not perfect, but it's not that bad.
If we got each other, and that's all we have.
I will be your brother, and I'll hold your hand.
You should know I'll be there for you!

Posts: 25408 | Registered: September 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gracie Allen is my
personal savior!
posted Hide Post
Oberlin, because that's where my (otherwise pretty damn good) advisor thought I should go. Boooo-cheeeet!

Posts: 27291 | Location: Deep in the heart of the brush country, and closing on that #&*%!?! roadrunner. Really. | Registered: February 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I believe in the
principle of
Due Process
Picture of JALLEN
posted Hide Post
I did 6 “college visits,” all to Austin to march in the annual Band Day Parade, after which all the bands who wanted to stayed and watched the Longhorn game that evening.

After that, I was going to UT and play in the Longhorn Band, and nobody was going to stop me or talk me out of it. I did. I have never regretted that.

There is a scholarship presentation this week at which some band member will receive a scholarship in my name which I funded ~10-12 years ago. I believe we have several dozen to distribute now funded by various alum.

\m/

Luckily, I have enough willpower to control the driving ambition that rages within me.

When you had the votes, we did things your way. Now, we have the votes and you will be doing things our way. This lesson in political reality from Lyndon B. Johnson

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible." - Justice Janice Rogers Brown

Posts: 48369 | Location: Texas hill country | Registered: July 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Villanova, with my grandfather who graduated from there when it was an all men’s school. we actually found his initials carved in a dorm room ceiling, I applied and got in early and it was done. If either my sister(bil is an alum) or my cousin(she and her husband are alums) oldest kids go there, they will graduate 100yrs from when my grandfather did

Posts: 1702 | Location: Alpharetta, GA | Registered: September 30, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Staring back
from the abyss
Picture of Gustofer
posted Hide Post
Montana State.

Yep.

Posts: 20081 | Location: Montana | Registered: November 01, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I never had a college visit. My first day on campus was the day I moved in. Same for graduate school.

Posts: 987 | Location: Nashville | Registered: October 01, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ice age heat wave,
cant complain.
Picture of MikeGLI
posted Hide Post
No college visits for me. I grew up here, so I went to community college then UCF. The community college was never a question, it was a matter of which state school id finish up at after I had my AA.

NRA Life Member
Steak: Rare. Coffee: Black. Bourbon: Neat.

Posts: 9683 | Location: Orlando, Florida | Registered: July 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
semi-reformed sailor
Picture of MikeinNC
posted Hide Post
first college visit-Western Carolina University

Application sent to - Clemson &WCU

Actually joined the USCG after being denial letters from both

Graduated Cum Laude from NC Weslyan18 years later after going to night school while working three jobs

"Violence, naked force, has settled more issues in history than has any other factor.” Robert A. Heinlein

“You may beat me, but you will never win.” sigmonkey-2020

“A single round of buckshot to the torso almost always results in an immediate change of behavior.” Chris Baker

Posts: 11270 | Location: Temple, Texas! | Registered: October 07, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Now in Florida
Picture of ChicagoSigMan
posted Hide Post
I didn't do any college visits. I applied to a couple ivy leagues and my safety school was Univ. of Texas. Hook 'em Horns!

Posts: 6063 | Location: FL | Registered: March 09, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Too old to run,
too mean to quit!
posted Hide Post
I did 2 years at Montgomery Community College, the only college I visited. Primarily because it was an easy drive from where we lived. (married, working full time for IBM. Got my 2 year degree, transferred to University of MD, got 2 BS degrees and a minor in Accounting and finance. IBM transferred me to Poughkeepsie. Later I attended the local college and earned my MBA in Finance and accounting with a minor in econ.

Never did a "visit" to any of them. Had no time for that, and no time to spend driving all over hell getting to and from.

Elk

There has never been an occasion where a people gave up their weapons in the interest of peace that didn't end in their massacre. (Louis L'Amour)

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical. "
-Thomas Jefferson

"America is great because she is good. If America ceases to be good, America will cease to be great." Alexis de Tocqueville

FBHO!!!

The Idaho Elk Hunter

Posts: 25642 | Location: Virginia | Registered: December 16, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Gustofer:
Montana State.

Yep.

My paternal grandmother's family are big supporters.

Posts: 1181 | Location: DFW Metromess | Registered: May 20, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Visited Auburn only.
I did ten years, three degrees, and found a wife there.
This year, I’ve been here thirty years. I guess it’s an OK school.

GW.

Posts: 642 | Location: Auburn, AL | Registered: August 24, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of mcrimm
posted Hide Post
Visited
University of Wisconsin - Madison
Purdue

The Navy won out.

Then Idaho State

and ended up at Montana State - Billings.

Mike

I'm sorry if I hurt you feelings when I called you stupid - I thought you already knew - Unknown
When you have no future, you live in the past. " Sycamore Row" by John Grisham

Posts: 4223 | Location: Saddlebrooke, Arizona | Registered: December 24, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Muzzle flash
aficionado
Picture of flashguy
posted Hide Post
I never had a "college visit". My family didn't have a lot of money and the local "streetcar college" (Wayne University) had a good reputation, so I just applied to it and was accepted there, where I got my Bachelor's degree. The Air Force sent me for my Master's degree work and it picked the school--University of Southern California. My first day on campus was the day I started class work.

flashguy

Texan by choice, not accident of birth

Posts: 27902 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: May 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I went to UNF (University North Florida) in Jacksonville,FL. Lived in Fort Lauderdale,FL. Went up there, took the entrance exam, picked put my classes, went home and changed my mind 2 days later as I didn't want to be away from my friends...….went to Broward Community College for a few years/ then Indian River Community College for a few years, then graduated, then went to FAU and got my BS in Finance.....I was on like the 7 or 8 year plan for a 4 year degree.....LOLOLOL

Posts: 21335 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Staring back
from the abyss
Picture of Gustofer
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Ox190:
quote:
Montana State.

Yep.

Maybe you could ask them to demand a new football coach?

Big Grin

Posts: 20081 | Location: Montana | Registered: November 01, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of konata88
posted Hide Post
Can’t remember but I think Lafayette. Didn’t go.

"Wrong does not cease to be wrong because the majority share in it." L.Tolstoy
"A government is just a body of people, usually, notably, ungoverned." Shepherd Book

Posts: 12713 | Location: In the gilded cage | Registered: December 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
UT Austin.

Attended for 1 year. First semester, aerospace engineering, 2nd semester undeclared engineering.

2 yrs community college to knock out basics & repair my GPA.

Graduated from Sam Houston State University with a BBA in Accounting.

The Enemy's gate is down.

Posts: 15285 | Location: Spring, TX | Registered: July 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I Am The Walrus
posted Hide Post
Never really did one. Went to community college first and then one of the local universities in Chicago. I think it was more of a convenient choice for me. School still has a decent reputation within Chicago. It was between the University of Illinois at Chicago and Chicago State. University of Illinois at Chicago did it for me.

For grad school I didn't visit any schools as I was doing their online program. Applied at 3 schools and got accepted to 1.

If I continue with my education after my MBA, it will be to a local school, either UCF or Rollins College.

Posts: 13096 | Registered: March 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by Ox190:
quote:
Montana State.

Yep.

Maybe you could ask them to demand a new football coach?

Big Grin

If only I was close to that side of the family. If you're from Montana there is a good chance you know the name, Sletten

Posts: 1181 | Location: DFW Metromess | Registered: May 20, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post