SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    I need help tracking down a problem in a 2002 Corolla
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

I need help tracking down a problem in a 2002 Corolla Login/Join 
Serenity now!
Picture of 4x5
posted
I need some advice on how to track down a problem in a 2002 Corolla.

We bought the car 4 years ago for our kids to drive, and for the most part, it's been a pretty good car. Abbout 6 months ago, we started noticing some weird issues. When my daughter would turn the engine off and remove the key, the engine would still run. Right after that, the battery drained, and she had problems starting the car. The mechanic diagnosed the problem as a bad starter, and replaced it, and things were ok for about 3 or 4 months.

Then, last month, my daughter was driving, and heard a weird noise, and smelled smoke. Fortunately, she was a block from home, so she drove home, and a neighbor helped her extinguish a small fire in the starter. The mechanic replaced the starter and battery, and also noticed that one time he couldn't get the engine to turn off. He thought it might be related to an aftermarket remote start system (we had no idea this car had that feature). Anyway, he removed some wired going to the starter that he thought were the problem, and all was good. Until a few days ago, and my daughter had the same problem again - turn engine off, wouldn't go off. I 'started' the engine again (with the key), turned it off, and the engine turned off.

One other weird issue - occasionally (maybe 1 in 40 starts) the door locks will activate. Again, we didn't know the car had automatic locks (they're manually operated on the door).

So, what could be causing the failure to stop? Could it be the ignition switch? The key lock cylinder? I'm hoping it's not the aftermarket stuff - that wiring looks like spaghetti. If it's the ignition switch, if that was faulty, could that have been engaging the starter continuously, causing the fire?

I can bolt stuff on and take stuff off, but electrical issues are a little beyond my skills.

Ladies and gentlemen, take my advice - pull down your pants and slide on the ice.
ʘ ͜ʖ ʘ

Posts: 4930 | Location: Highland, UT | Registered: September 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
It probably could be the ignition switch.
Otherwise, somewhere in the spaghetti of wires.

Posts: 1350 | Location: WI | Registered: July 07, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
E Pluribus Unum
Picture of JRC
posted Hide Post
Does the car have a security/alarm system?

I once experienced a problem with a Chevy Suburban when I locked the vehicle with the alarm system activated, AND with a 12v inverter charging a laptop.

The inverter drained the battery enough that, while it still started, it exhibited the "key off - still running" symptom. I had to pull the fuse to the ignition system to shut off the car, but it resolved the problem.

Maybe something similar? Good luck!

Posts: 1407 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: March 05, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Honky Lips
Picture of FenderBender
posted Hide Post
electrical gremlin, good luck.

if it's not too much of a burden I'd get rid of it and buy something else. I'm mostly sure it's got something to do with that after-market crap.

Posts: 8146 | Registered: July 24, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Rev. A. J. Forsyth
posted Hide Post
Back in my early days I worked at a general repair shop and had to repair many vehicles that were hacked apart by a well intentioned remote start tech.

The majority do not solder in connections, pierce numerous wires for testing, and cause general electrical mayhem. I would track down every single wire associated with the remote start and remove it. Remove all components and repair all insulation. Start underneath the steering column and work your way to the engine bay. It's fairly obvious what belongs and what doesn't.

Good Luck.

Posts: 1639 | Location: Winston-Salem  | Registered: April 01, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Wait, what?
Picture of gearhounds
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Rev. A. J. Forsyth:
Back in my early days I worked at a general repair shop and had to repair many vehicles that were hacked apart by a well intentioned remote start tech.

The majority do not solder in connections, pierce numerous wires for testing, and cause general electrical mayhem. I would track down every single wire associated with the remote start and remove it. Remove all components and repair all insulation. Start underneath the steering column and work your way to the engine bay. It's fairly obvious what belongs and what doesn't.

Good Luck.

Remote start gremlin infestation is my guess as well. If the car is sound and in the kind of condition to expect many thousand more miles out of it, I would take it to a qualified repair shop and completely blueprint the wiring harness and remove everything that does not belong.

“Remember to get vaccinated or a vaccinated person might get sick from a virus they got vaccinated against because you’re not vaccinated.” - author unknown

Posts: 15571 | Location: Martinsburg WV | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
St. Vitus
Dance Instructor
Picture of blueye
posted Hide Post
The Rev beat me to it. I would do the same. Remove aftermarket stuff.

Posts: 5301 | Location: basement | Registered: April 06, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nature is full of
magnificent creatures
posted Hide Post
A few weeks ago we had a mobile mechanic come and change the brakes on our cars. He worked for 13 years as a mechanic at a Toyota dealership in California. He specializes in everything Toyota. He has great ratings online, and did a great job for us. I'll email you his information. He will come to your house and get it done.

For what he charges, it likely will not pay for you to do it yourself.

Posts: 6273 | Registered: March 24, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
This sounds weird as shit, and it did to me when I first heard it. I had an '03 Corolla with similar problems. A tech at the dealer said, before he would touch it, I should go get a new gas cap from a third party, and make sure it was new. All problems went away.

Posts: 17142 | Location: Lexington, KY | Registered: October 15, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Serenity now!
Picture of 4x5
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Fredward:
This sounds weird as shit, and it did to me when I first heard it. I had an '03 Corolla with similar problems. A tech at the dealer said, before he would touch it, I should go get a new gas cap from a third party, and make sure it was new. All problems went away.

That was the first thing we did, since we're also fighting an evap error code. still have the problem.

Ladies and gentlemen, take my advice - pull down your pants and slide on the ice.
ʘ ͜ʖ ʘ

Posts: 4930 | Location: Highland, UT | Registered: September 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post