SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Does Anyone Know Cannabis Law in Texas?
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Does Anyone Know Cannabis Law in Texas? Login/Join 
Truth Seeker
Picture of StorminNormin
posted
I will first say I am in Law Enforcement and the whole war on marijuana really bothers me. I am not a patrol officer; I conduct internal affairs investigations within the prison system for the State of Texas.

My Mom was diagnosed with Leukemia a little over 10 years ago. She was told she only had 10 years to live and needed chemotherapy. She refuses to do chemotherapy and I agree as I have seen how it can make some people’s life worse. This is a personal decision.

My Mom has fought this totally natural for the last 10 years and done amazing; she has even shocked her doctors. She just recently has taken a big turn for the worse. She has gotten a really bad case of bronchitis which people with leukemia are susceptible to getting. She is losing weight because she has no appetite and is looking like a skeleton. She can barely move and has zero energy. She knows others who have cancer and have gone to Colorado to get marijuana and it has helped them stop taking some of their medications and they have seriously improved.

She has talked about moving to Colorado to continue natural treatment, but of course I would like to keep her within 15 minutes of me if I can so I can continue to help her every week like I do. Texas passed some form of cannabis oil legalization but it is clear as mud. I am going to start reading through it, but I was just curious if anyone may already know the extent of the Texas Law to help me before I start my research. This conversation just came up today with my Mom as I spent the whole day at her house helping her with things.

NRA Benefactor Life Member

Posts: 8668 | Location: The Lone Star State | Registered: July 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Rail-less
and
Tail-less
posted Hide Post
I don’t know anything about the laws in Texas but I will say that with an active lung infection that may become chronic like bronchitis/COPD I would recommend her not smoke anything. Maybe stick to the marijuana edibles. Just because as I have heard that dosing can vary and even a small bite can pack quite a punch. Good luck to her. Hopefully she can find some relief. I’m pretty sure medical marijuana is easily attainable in Arizona.

https://azmarijuana.com/arizon...ical-marijuana-card/

Posts: 13190 | Location: Charlotte, NC | Registered: May 07, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Truth Seeker
Picture of StorminNormin
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Dusty78:
I don’t know anything about the laws in Texas but I will say that with an active lung infection that may become chronic like bronchitis/COPD I would recommend her not smoke anything. Maybe stick to the marijuana edibles. Just because as I have heard that dosing can vary and even a small bite can pack quite a punch. Good luck to her. Hopefully she can find some relief. I’m pretty sure medical marijuana is easily attainable in Arizona.

Thank you. Yes, that is why she is curious about the oil or some other form which does not need to be smoked. My Mom has never even smoked a cigarette in her life and probably has 2 drinks a year.

Posts: 8668 | Location: The Lone Star State | Registered: July 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
From a quick perusal of the Compassionate Use Program website, it appears that the statute only allows medical THC prescriptions for people who have been diagnosed with epilepsy, and who have failed to respond to at least two medications. It's not allowed for any other conditions in Texas at this time.

https://www.dps.texas.gov/rsd/CUP/index.htm

Does your Mom have epilepsy?

Posts: 32506 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Rail-less
and
Tail-less
posted Hide Post
Looks like the Texas medical marijuana law is pretty restrictive

http://www.houstonpress.com/ne...-help-no-one-9754688

Posts: 13190 | Location: Charlotte, NC | Registered: May 07, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gracie Allen is my
personal savior!
posted Hide Post
It looks like you'll need to find out exactly what Texas defines as a low-THC, cannabis-based medicine. Is the 0.3% THC oil that's legal to get through interstate commerce illegal under Texas law?

Posts: 27293 | Location: Deep in the heart of the brush country, and closing on that #&*%!?! roadrunner. Really. | Registered: February 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Truth Seeker
Picture of StorminNormin
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RogueJSK:
From a quick perusal of the Compassionate Use Program website, it appears that the statute only allows medical THC prescriptions for people who have been diagnosed with epilepsy, and who have failed to respond to at least two medications. It's not allowed for any other conditions in Texas at this time.

No she does not have epilepsy and she hates to take a prescription of any kind. She does everything natural, which has worked until now. It took me really talking to her to get her to take antibiotics for the bronchitis as she wants and will take oregano oil for it as it is supposed to be very good. I just ordered her the oregano oil. She turns down any prescriptions the doctors try to give her because she feels they are drug pushers.

Truth Seeker
Picture of StorminNormin
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Il Cattivo:
It looks like you'll need to find out exactly what Texas defines as a low-THC, cannabis-based medicine. Is the 0.3% THC oil that's legal to get through interstate commerce illegal under Texas law?

This is a start I will look into. I am good at reading law, but I have never had a reason to look into this and now am going to have to do a deep dive into it.

Truth Seeker
Picture of StorminNormin
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by StorminNormin:
quote:

No she does not have epilepsy and she hates to take a prescription of any kind. She does everything natural, which has worked until now. It took me really talking to her to get her to take antibiotics for the bronchitis as she wants and will take oregano oil for it as it is supposed to be very good. I just ordered her the oregano oil. She turns down any prescriptions the doctors try to give her because she feels they are drug pushers.

She has had two occasions in the last two years where she has suddenly passed out for no reason and suffered significant injuries from hitting the concrete full impact from passing out. Doctors can’t explain why she passed out either time despite MRIs and X-Rays.

His Royal Hiney
Picture of Rey HRH
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

No she does not have epilepsy and she hates to take a prescription of any kind.

I'm not trying to get you to do anything illegal. However, as a third person observer, the facts I see is that THC is allowed only for people diagnosed with epilepsy at least.

I'm assuming your statement that she does not have epilepsy is only your opinion not taken from a doctor's diagnosis. I don't think you're a doctor.

Given the above, I would like to suggest getting your mother examined by a doctor with experience prescribing THC to epileptic patients. Explain what your situation is. Even add the two occasions in the last two years where she has suddenly passed out for no reason.

Then you can see whether the doctor can give his learned medical opinion whether your mother has epilepsy and is therefore eligible to be prescribed THC.

That's why it's normal to ask for a second doctor's opinion. Just to support what I'm saying, let me relate my own case. I was diagnosed with cataracts. But the first doctor who saw me said it wasn't enough and he can only do one eye and I had to wait several months and he can only improve my eye sight by 3 grades and he said when it was all done, I'd have lopsided vision of some sort.

I asked my primary to refer me to a second doctor and explained my situation how I was having troubled telling the difference between a 3 and 8 on Excel and that was my livelihood. That was how I learned I had cataracts when I thought I just needed a new eyeglass prescription and the optometrist couldn't dial it in for me.

After i explained my situation, the doctor said based on what she saw, I needed to get operated on both eyes immediately and for both to get adjusted to 20/20 as much as possible.

Two very different diagnosis from two people with the same specialty in medicine. I really suspect what got me the second diagnosis is me explaining the impact of my situation on my life and having a symphatetic doctor whose focus was not solely on following medical and legal guidelines.

"It did not really matter what we expected from life, but rather what life expected from us. We needed to stop asking about the meaning of life, and instead to think of ourselves as those who were being questioned by life – daily and hourly. Our answer must consist not in talk and meditation, but in right action and in right conduct. Life ultimately means taking the responsibility to find the right answer to its problems and to fulfill the tasks which it constantly sets for each individual." Viktor Frankl, Man's Search for Meaning, 1946.

Posts: 19660 | Location: The Free State of Arizona - Ditat Deus | Registered: March 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Truth Seeker
Picture of StorminNormin
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Rey HRH:
quote:
quote:

No she does not have epilepsy and she hates to take a prescription of any kind.

I'm not trying to get you to do anything illegal. However, as a third person observer, the facts I see is that THC is allowed only for people diagnosed with epilepsy at least.

I'm assuming your statement that she does not have epilepsy is only your opinion not taken from a doctor's diagnosis. I don't think you're a doctor.

Given the above, I would like to suggest getting your mother examined by a doctor with experience prescribing THC to epileptic patients. Explain what your situation is. Even add the two occasions in the last two years where she has suddenly passed out for no reason.

Then you can see whether the doctor can give his learned medical opinion whether your mother has epilepsy and is therefore eligible to be prescribed THC.

That's why it's normal to ask for a second doctor's opinion. Just to support what I'm saying, let me relate my own case. I was diagnosed with cataracts. But the first doctor who saw me said it wasn't enough and he can only do one eye and I had to wait several months and he can only improve my eye sight by 3 grades and he said when it was all done, I'd have lopsided vision of some sort.

I asked my primary to refer me to a second doctor and explained my situation how I was having troubled telling the difference between a 3 and 8 on Excel and that was my livelihood. That was how I learned I had cataracts when I thought I just needed a new eyeglass prescription and the optometrist couldn't dial it in for me.

After i explained my situation, the doctor said based on what she saw, I needed to get operated on both eyes immediately and for both to get adjusted to 20/20 as much as possible.

Two very different diagnosis from two people with the same specialty in medicine. I really suspect what got me the second diagnosis is me explaining the impact of my situation on my life and having a symphatetic doctor whose focus was not solely on following medical and legal guidelines.

Got it. Good advice.

Gracie Allen is my
personal savior!
posted Hide Post
quote:
This is a start I will look into. I am good at reading law, but I have never had a reason to look into this and now am going to have to do a deep dive into it.

By all means read, but the value of a second opinion alone may justify tracking down a lawyer who lives and breathes that stuff and buying the time for a conference. I'm sorry that I don't know who to point you to. FWIW I'd look for someone with experience in the Attorney General's office who has worked with whatever branch of the DPS it is that handles standards and enforcement for the oil.

Posts: 27293 | Location: Deep in the heart of the brush country, and closing on that #&*%!?! roadrunner. Really. | Registered: February 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Corgis Rock
Picture of Icabod
posted Hide Post
There is SB 79 that's been filed to extend medical marijuana to cancer patients

https://legiscan.com/TX/research/SB79/2017

“ The work of destruction is quick, easy and exhilarating; the work of creation is slow, laborious and dull.

Posts: 6060 | Location: Outside Seattle | Registered: November 29, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oh stewardess,
I speak jive.
Picture of 46and2
posted Hide Post
I think it's the case that Texas' first Dispensary opens in December. "In just two months Texans suffering from intractable epilepsy will be able to purchase a type of medicinal cannabis approved by the state".

I see multiple articles from reputable online sources regarding the state granting it's first, and subsequent, licenses for Medical, too. One source says more than 150,000 have already seen doctors and been recommended for the program.

"patients with epilepsy and a doctor’s recommendation can register with the state, which allows them to visit 1 of 3 licensed dispensaries to purchase cannabis oil. The oil must only contain 0.5% THC or less in order for it to be legal in the State. The oil can either be inhaled through a vaporizer or taken sublingually."

"Jose Hidalgo, is the owner of Knox Medical, the first dispensary to be licensed by the state. His company has licensed medical cannabis operations in Florida and Puerto Rico. For its Texas operation, Knox Medical chose the City of Schulenburg with a population of just under 3-thousand residents."

"Jose Hidalgo, is the owner of Knox Medical, the first dispensary to be licensed by the state. His company has licensed medical cannabis operations in Florida and Puerto Rico. For its Texas operation, Knox Medical chose the City of Schulenburg with a population of just under 3-thousand residents."

"Knox Medical says registered patients with the state will be able to call in and pick up their orders at their Schulenburg location, but they anticipate most of their business will occur online. Registered Texas patients using the company’s website will place an order and then have it couriered to their location, which will begin happening by the end of December. "

Posts: 25613 | Registered: March 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oh stewardess,
I speak jive.
Picture of 46and2
posted Hide Post
There is no traditional high with these varieties, BTW. If anything overt, it's more like a subtle and brief warming sensation analogous to a single drink or mild muscle relaxant sort of washing over you, or simply the cessation of or reduction of whatever discomfort.

One friend of mine uses CBD Patches for an annoying and active case of restless leg that's so active it gives him issues with his hips, and the normal Rx for that gives him grief with side effects. For him, somehow, it helps even better than the Rx but without the ill effects.

He has an office job, sits at a desk all day, and is a bigger guy, fwiw.

I know a few other similar anecdotes from within my extended network of friends. One is a friend around 50 who has had back surgery twice, been around the block with legit Rx Oxy and the like, and now uses nothing but CBD tincture/drops with equivalent relief.

Another friend has beaten himself up via a lifetime of extreme-ish sports, skating, snowboarding, etc, has torn up his shoulders and knees and lives with constant aches that are fairly significant, and he eats his CBD doses mixed into food, rather than take opioids.

Anecdotal, no doubt, but it seems to work, and isn't about "weed" at all for these folks.

Picture of just1tym
posted Hide Post
Sending prayers for your Mom, I hope that she finds relief..

Regards, Will G.

Posts: 9660 | Location: 140 mi to Margaritaville, FL | Registered: January 02, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
It's not you,
it's me.
Picture of RAMIUS
posted Hide Post
Before going through the process of getting prescribed medical marijuana, if she's able, why not take a visit to a legal state to see if marijuana is helpful to her?

Or try to get some samples to her another way.

I'd imagine, to go through the process of getting it throu a doc, would be long. Hope your mom feels better.

Posts: 7016 | Location: Right outside Philly | Registered: September 08, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Stupid
Allergy
Picture of dry-fly
posted Hide Post
I’ll chime in a note here. I had a thread going on chronic pain a couple of weeks ago. I won’t rehash it, but I went to a vitamin/health food store here in the DFW area called the Sunflower Shop for some “hemp oil”. Cannabis oil is not legal here as noted except for seizure patients. I tried the sublingual oil for a few days out of shear desperation for back pain. It tastes HORRIBLE and I noticed nothing whatsoever. Real cannabis oil may certainly do something, but this stuff didn’t help, or do anything but nearly make me vomit. It’s not horribly expensive, so you don’t have much to lose...just don’t get your hopes up too much. Best of luck

"Attack life, it's going to kill you anyway." Steve McQueen...

Posts: 6998 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: July 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Only the strong survive
Picture of 41
posted Hide Post
I would go to the Life Extension Foundation and do a search on Leukemia. As we age, there are lots of nutritional supplements that can extend our life and fight off disease.

http://www.lifeextension.com/S...category=[Magazines]

Posts: 11828 | Location: Herndon, VA | Registered: June 11, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oh stewardess,
I speak jive.
Picture of 46and2
posted Hide Post
Some MJ strains are inherently, or via breeding, themselves low in THC and high in CBD.

The vast majority of strains, however, are the reverse - high THC and very low CBD.

How one grows either has (basically) nothing to do with the outcome and no effect on CBD levels, beyond cases where a half ass grower yields less than the typical expectations.

A given strain is either the CBD variety or not, and having the right strain is everything.

Many dispensaries in Colorado have at least one CBD centric variety.m in their offerings.