SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Latest Car Build - 1000hp of 'Merica W/ bonus Bentley Content for good measure
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Latest Car Build - 1000hp of 'Merica W/ bonus Bentley Content for good measure Login/Join 
Cat Whisperer
Picture of cmr076
posted
I have always been more of an exotic, euro, BMW, MB, etc. guy. That was always my work background, so until buying into my current shop, I never really interacted with domestics (yea, yea, I'm a car snob). While I refocused my new shop to what I was used to and good at (exotics and euro cars, and away from the huge HP LS cars), occasionally I still get a car shipped to me that makes me rethink my stance on Muscle cars.. This is one of them.

The client shipped me the car with 150 miles on it; he drove it once. It's a 2016 Corvette Z06 with the Z07 package (Z07 package consists of MASSIVE carbon ceramic brakes, adjustable aero, Michelin Sport Cup 2 tires, and a few other odds and ends).

The goal for the project was "stock looking with 'fuck you' amounts of horsepower". Mission accomplished.

First order of business was to ditch the roots style, OEM blower in favor of a BIG Procharger F1A setup. It came with a new intake manifold, intake system, etc. To get the most of the new blower setup we had Brian Tooley grind us a cam, titanium retainers, springs, pushrods, etc. with the cam work done I ordered a set of Kooks long tube headers and x-pipe. With everything installed we put her on our dyno for tuning. Even in the winter here the IAT's (Intake Air Temp) was getting really high really fast. my favorite way to combat that is methanol. Some people look at meth as a crutch, my opinion is that when used properly it is a FANTASTIC solution to cars getting really hot, with the added bonus of more power.. the next day my guys wrapped up the AEM dual nozzle meth kit, tested it for leaks etc, then back on the dyno. After two more days of tuning she is finally done.

Now, keep in mind we have a Mustang dyno, which are notoriously bad for making impressive numbers.. This car still managed to do it. Tuning her to the very edge, the blower/cam setup is good for 900-1000 hp at the wheels. We dialed it back a bit until the client gets used to the car, to a conservative 700whp (700 on my mustang dyno would translate to somewhere in the 8-825 hp on a dynojet, which is somewhere over 1000hp at the crank.

I had her out today to do a couple hundred shakedown miles, and MY GOD, this car is fast. I have driven some really high hp cars, from 2000hp lamborghinis, to 600hp lotus', and this one is just so visceral it took my breath away. so. fast. im talking breaks the tires loose at 100mph, I'm talking go to jail and do not collect the $200 dollars if you aren't paying attention. I'm talking, the 220mph speedo doesn't seem that unrealistic. I'm talking... well, you get the idea. AND THE SOUND. it's like you're sitting in a god damn vacuum cleaner!

She is at the body shop getting the side markers painted body color, and I should have her back later this week. I'll add more pictures then. For now, here are a few I thought you all would enjoy!

Methanol tank tucked under the carpet

and a bonus, a good client dropped his new Bentayaga off for us to dyno and come up with a build plan for. BADASS truck.. iverpriced by about 100k dollars IMO though.

pretty cool attention to detail

------------------------------------

├┼┼╕
246R

Posts: 3901 | Location: SE PA | Registered: November 13, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Cigar Nerd
Picture of Jaywendland1981
posted Hide Post
Do you tune them using E85? A tuning shop that has my shop do suspension work and alignments gets the same effect from E85 as the Meth injection. They still use Meth injection on some builds with insanely high power but I have seen dozens of Z06s at 1000+ without Meth.

There will be whores, tits and sex.

Posts: 4305 | Location: Houston, Tx | Registered: January 30, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Step by step walk the thousand mile road
Picture of Sig2340
posted Hide Post
quote:
... this car is fast...

So fast you arrive before you left?

Nice is overrated

"It's every freedom-loving individual's duty to lie to the government."
Airsoftguy, June 29, 2018

Posts: 31425 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: May 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Needs a check up
from the neck up
Picture of Timdogg6
posted Hide Post
Well that's fun on top of fun right there.

How did the Bentley fare??

The entire reason for the Second Amendment is not for hunting, it’s not for target shooting … it’s there so that you and I can protect our homes and our children and and our families and our lives. And it’s also there as fundamental check on government tyranny. Sen Ted Cruz

Posts: 5131 | Location: Boca Raton, FL The Gunshine State | Registered: July 30, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Cat Whisperer
Picture of cmr076
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Jaywendland1981:
Do you tune them using E85? A tuning shop that has my shop do suspension work and alignments gets the same effect from E85 as the Meth injection. They still use Meth injection on some builds with insanely high power but I have seen dozens of Z06s at 1000+ without Meth.

you can absolutely make huge power without meth, especially with a big turbo (or two), which is how most of the 4 digit Z06's get there. Heat soak is one of the biggest killers of power and pretty easily avoidable. A lot of the big turbo vette's have massive intercoolers, which wasn't an option on this build. Meth is just so easy and cheap it almost always makes sense to do (in my opinion).

We do e85 on a lot of our builds, mostly CTS-V's, GTR's etc. In my immediate area it isn't readily available, so more often than not we do flex fuel conversions rather than full blown e85 setups.

├┼┼╕
246R

Posts: 3901 | Location: SE PA | Registered: November 13, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Cat Whisperer
Picture of cmr076
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Sig2340:
quote:
... this car is fast...

So fast you arrive before you left?

so it seemed Razz

├┼┼╕
246R

Cat Whisperer
Picture of cmr076
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Timdogg6:

How did the Bentley fare??

good. it made 474hp/560tq, which is in the ballpark of what I expected

├┼┼╕
246R

Shall Not Be Infringed
Picture of nhracecraft
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by cmr076:
I have always been more of an exotic, euro, BMW, MB, etc. guy.....occasionally I still get a car shipped to me that makes me rethink my stance on Muscle cars.. This is one of them.

The goal for the project was "stock looking with 'fuck you' amounts of horsepower". Mission accomplished.

This is your Vette....

This is your 'Vette on Meth!

Any Questions.... Big Grin

WOW, can you say Throttle Response? It comes on like a light switch! Cool

If Some is Good, and More is Better.....then Too Much, is Just Enough !!
Trump 2024....Save America!
"May Almighty God bless the United States of America" - parabellum 7/26/20
Live Free or Die!

Posts: 8865 | Location: New Hampshire | Registered: October 29, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Doing my best to shape
America's youth
Picture of MooneyP226
posted Hide Post
That's a badass ride and a beautiful car.

PLEASE tell me you changed out the round tips for angular ones?

I can't tell from the vid.

Or is there a reason the exhaust tips are round while everything but the tires is hard angles?

I still can't fathom why the engineers left them round.

Clarior Hinc Honos

BSA Dad, Cheer Dad

Posts: 1624 | Location: on the 42nd parallel  | Registered: November 19, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
quote:
The goal for the project was "stock looking with 'fuck you' amounts of horsepower".

One day I wish to afford that.

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 20810 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raised Hands Surround Us
Three Nails To Protect Us
Picture of Black92LX
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MooneyP226:
That's a badass ride and a beautiful car.

PLEASE tell me you changed out the round tips for angular ones?

I can't tell from the vid.

Or is there a reason the exhaust tips are round while everything but the tires is hard angles?

I still can't fathom why the engineers left them round.

I am with you 100%. I can't stand the look of the factory exhaust on these beauties.

————————————————
The world's not perfect, but it's not that bad.
If we got each other, and that's all we have.
I will be your brother, and I'll hold your hand.
You should know I'll be there for you!

Posts: 25408 | Registered: September 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Admin/Odd Duck

Picture of lbj
posted Hide Post
Very nice.

There is iron in my words of death for all to see.
So there is iron in my words of life.

Posts: 31422 | Registered: February 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I love how the latest gen vettes look. Badass, that car is amazing!

“People have to really suffer before they can risk doing what they love.” –Chuck Palahnuik

Be harder to kill: https://preparefit.ck.page

Posts: 5043 | Location: Oregon | Registered: October 02, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oh stewardess,
I speak jive.
Picture of 46and2
posted Hide Post
Round exhaust tips comments are the "she has pointy knees" comments of the car world.

Smile

Those new(er) Vettes are beasts, especially after such work. Nice job.

Posts: 25613 | Registered: March 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raised Hands Surround Us
Three Nails To Protect Us
Picture of Black92LX
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 46and2:
Round exhaust tips comments are the "she has pointy knees" comments of the car world.

Smile

Those new(er) Vettes are beasts, especially after such work. Nice job.

Gotta draw the line somewhere

————————————————
The world's not perfect, but it's not that bad.
If we got each other, and that's all we have.
I will be your brother, and I'll hold your hand.
You should know I'll be there for you!

Posts: 25408 | Registered: September 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Doing my best to shape
America's youth
Picture of MooneyP226
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 46and2:
Smile

Oh, don't get me wrong, I surely would love to have one, but why oh why not a squared or trapezoidal design? Something that compliments the taillights?

Clarior Hinc Honos

BSA Dad, Cheer Dad

Posts: 1624 | Location: on the 42nd parallel  | Registered: November 19, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not all who wander
are lost.
Picture of JohnV
posted Hide Post
I have no idea what any of that stuff you did means. But I absolutely love your car posts. Keep it up!

Posted from my iPhone.

Posts: 4313 | Location: Tennessee | Registered: February 22, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I'm curious how much you charge a client to complete all those modifications? Beautiful car and wish I could drive something like that just once.

Posts: 1627 | Location: USA | Registered: December 11, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Cat Whisperer
Picture of cmr076
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by calugo:
I'm curious how much you charge a client to complete all those modifications? Beautiful car and wish I could drive something like that just once.

It definitely isn't cheap. Without being too specific, figure the supercharger is $10k, cam package $1000, exhaust $3000, methanol kit with labor, around $2000, then lots of labor. It's easy to spend 20k in a heartbeat chasing bigger horsepower goals. To put it in perspective, the Lamborghini in the one picture is twin turbo.. depending on the turbo kit and level of power you're after, you'd want to budget anywhere from 100k to 3-400k just on the build.. then the car is another 1-300k. Definitely a galaxy I can't afford to participate in beyond putting them together (and driving them Razz )

I did the suspension setup and some other odds and ends on this car a couple of years ago, to give you an idea how fast they are... he's racing turbo liter bikes that make more power than a lot of performance cars, and weigh like 400lb! https://youtu.be/VJNfQxq2qQ4 that was the only car I was ever scared of after driving.

├┼┼╕
246R

Picture of Sailor1911
posted Hide Post
Z06 with Z07 isn't a bad platform to start with IMO.

Place your clothes and weapons where you can find them in the dark.

“If in winning a race, you lose the respect of your fellow competitors, then you have won nothing” - Paul Elvstrom "The Great Dane" 1928 - 2016

Posts: 3762 | Location: Wichita, Kansas | Registered: March 27, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post