SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Are there any EEs here?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Are there any EEs here? Login/Join 
Picture of Shaql
posted
My engineering degree is over 20 yrs old and I haven't used those skills in 20 yrs. Frown

I'm trying to make a "beacon" that will operate at around 3Khz using an integrated circuit.

I've been bopping around digikey and am getting confused with which components to choose.

Basically I need:

120vPS -> AC-DC converter -> tone Generator -> Amp -> Speaker.

I'm good with the converter, but the gen & amp combo is confusing me. The tone generator can be fixed frequency (by design) or variable, I don't care, but I do need to control the volume (probably 60db - 100db).

Any help is appreciated.

Hedley Lamarr: Wait, wait, wait. I'm unarmed.
Bart: Alright, we'll settle this like men, with our fists.
Hedley Lamarr: Sorry, I just remembered . . . I am armed.

Posts: 6851 | Location: Atlanta | Registered: April 23, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Security Sage
Picture of striker1
posted Hide Post
I think a simple 555 timer, maybe with a transistor to boost the speaker output, and the correct pot would work just fine. You’d have to scope the output or at least test it close as possible with a tone generator app for comparison.

RB

Cancer fighter (Non-Hodgkins Lymphoma) since 2009, now fighting Diffuse Large B-Cell Lymphoma.

Posts: 7133 | Location: Michiana | Registered: March 01, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"Member"
Picture of cas
posted Hide Post
(not shoe size thread. Backs out meekly)

Posts: 21101 | Location: 18th & Fairfax  | Registered: May 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ignored facts
still exist
posted Hide Post
isn't there an app for that? I'm serious. If all you need is a 3 kHz tone, I'm sure there's an audio generator app.

Failing that, get an R-Pi and just program it up using a USB speaker. Or a regular speaker, since the R-Pi has an analog speaker output jack.

----------------------
Let's Go Brandon!

Posts: 10907 | Location: 45 miles from the Pacific Ocean | Registered: February 28, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Staring back
from the abyss
Picture of Gustofer
posted Hide Post
I majored in it for one quarter back in 1983. I don't think I can help much though.

Posts: 20084 | Location: Montana | Registered: November 01, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Just use a piezo siren- some have volume controls and can reach over 100db. Much simpler. I’ll see if I can find one that meets your specs.

Posts: 1072 | Location: Ohio | Registered: August 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by radioman:
isn't there an app for that? I'm serious. If all you need is a 3 kHz tone, I'm sure there's an audio generator app.

Failing that, get an R-Pi and just program it up using a USB speaker. Or a regular speaker, since the R-Pi has an analog speaker output jack.

be cheaper & easier with an arduino
cheap 5Vac adapter, 3$ arduino nano, amp/speaker of your choice. wouldn't even need a breadboard, just solder direct.

tone library
Syntax
tone(pin, frequency)

tone(pin, frequency, duration)

Posts: 3297 | Location: IN | Registered: January 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post

Posts: 1072 | Location: Ohio | Registered: August 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Yew got a spider
on yo head
Picture of DoctorSolo
posted Hide Post
^^^ Uh yeah, pretty much.

quote:
Originally posted by striker1:
I think a simple 555 timer, maybe with a transistor to boost the speaker output, and the correct pot would work just fine. You’d have to scope the output or at least test it close as possible with a tone generator app for comparison.

Not a bad way to go either. I hate pots though, and since freq doesn't need to be variable, find the divide ratio by tuning it in on the scope and then throw it away and put down resistors to divide the voltage down to the right level.

Posts: 5130 | Location: Colorado Springs | Registered: April 12, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Shaql
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by nshumway:
this is what you need-
https://www.ebay.com/itm/105dB...b:g:w14AAOSwnHZYlV7G

Thanks!

So I just need to put an AC-to-DC converter in front and I'm all set? (It has to work off AC)

Since its 6-16V, do I put a potentiometer in between to manage volume or db level?

Hedley Lamarr: Wait, wait, wait. I'm unarmed.
Bart: Alright, we'll settle this like men, with our fists.
Hedley Lamarr: Sorry, I just remembered . . . I am armed.

Posts: 6851 | Location: Atlanta | Registered: April 23, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Even easier than the pot for volume- I'd go with a 12 regulated power supply. Just connect it to the buzzer and you are done. The siren in the link has a volume control- you rotate the top and the opening becomes bigger or smaller, allowing more oe less sound out.