SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    58 year old Starbuck's customer foils robbery with a chair....<video>
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

58 year old Starbuck's customer foils robbery with a chair....<video> Login/Join 
Semper Fi - 1775
Picture of Ronin1069
posted
The dramatic moment a heroic Starbucks customer beat down an armed robber with a chair has been caught on video.

Hero Cregg Jerri, 58, and suspect Ryan Michael Florez, 30, were both stabbed in the struggle for the suspect's knife during a stickup at a Starbucks in Fresno, California on Thursday.

Police said that Florez fled the scene and later claimed to be a victim of the robbery, but was identified as the robber with the help of surveillance video, according to the Fresno Bee.

He was armed with a large knife and replica handgun, according to police.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/new...ber-armed-knife.html

Full Video

News Report

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Posts: 12328 | Location: Belly of the Beast | Registered: January 02, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Cregg Jerri! Way to stand and be counted on! He's the type of "community activist" we need.

Silent

Posts: 1026 | Registered: February 02, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A Grateful American
Picture of sigmonkey
posted Hide Post
Never interrupt an old man when he's trying to drink his coffee. Never, ever do that.

"the meaning of life, is to give life meaning" Ani Yehudi אני יהודי Le'olam lo shuv לעולם לא שוב!

Posts: 43876 | Location: ...... I am thrice divorced, and I live in a van DOWN BY THE RIVER!!! (in Arkansas) | Registered: December 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I bet the old man drinks his coffee black.

Posts: 17231 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
probably a good thing
I don't have a cut
posted Hide Post
If the customer stops the robbery no one gets fired.

Posts: 3381 | Location: Tampa, FL | Registered: February 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Character, above all else
Picture of Tailhook 84
posted Hide Post
Personal Lessons Learned from the video:

1. Don't go into battle wearing flip-flops.

2. Don't half-ass the initial attack, especially if you have the advantage of surprise.

3. Don't expect help from anybody else in the place.

"The Truth, when first uttered, is always considered heresy."

Posts: 2541 | Location: West of Fort Worth | Registered: March 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Purveyor of
Fine Avatars
Picture of Orguss
posted Hide Post
Optimus Prime, give up your life of crime and go back to fighting the Decepticons!

I like how that one Starbucks employee is calmly wiping tables down with a smile on her face while the old man gets up to do some work.

"I'm yet another resource-consuming kid in an overpopulated planet raised to an alarming extent by Hollywood and Madison Avenue, poised with my cynical and alienated peers to take over the world when you're old and weak!" - Calvin, "Calvin & Hobbes"

Posts: 18023 | Location: Sonoma County, CA | Registered: April 09, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
is circumspective
Picture of vinnybass
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Tailhook 84:

Agreed, but sometimes you gotta "run what you brung."

2. Don't half-ass the initial attack, especially if you have the advantage of surprise.

Yup. That was the time for a devastating, debilitating blow to finish it quickly.

True. I find it surprising the number of people who've never been in a fistfight/streetfight.

"We're all travelers in this world. From the sweet grass to the packing house. Birth 'til death. We travel between the eternities."

Posts: 5479 | Location: Las Vegas, NV. | Registered: May 30, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of TigerDore
posted Hide Post
quote:

-Yep, he should have unleashed hell with that chair. Good on him for fighting, but he could use some Gracie Combatives training in case there is a next time.

....in a liberal enclave like a Starbucks in California. In a place like a Waffle House in Alabama, its a going to be a different story. Heck, even a Starbucks in Alabama is likely to have a different outcome regarding help.

Posts: 8618 | Registered: September 26, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Now in Florida
Picture of ChicagoSigMan
posted Hide Post
Watching that video, the perp held on to the gun for a while. The whole thing could have gone either way for awhile. Good on the guy for taking action but he really should have ended it with the first blow with the chair.

Posts: 6063 | Location: FL | Registered: March 09, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
E Pluribus Unum
Picture of JRC
posted Hide Post
And no one helped the good citizen out...sad what our society has succumbed to Mad

Where did I bookmark that "Today I cleaned my rifle" thread?

Posts: 1407 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: March 05, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get Off My Lawn
Picture of oddball
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by vinnybass:

Yup. That was the time for a devastating, debilitating blow to finish it quickly.

Agreed, and also when the customer had the perp on the floor just randomly punching his back, he really needed to avoid that and basically disable the robber with a hard downward stomping kick to a knee or elbow. This was not a "fight" but a struggle to stop the crime and stay alive. He needed to inflict instant pain, disable and end the threat quickly.

"I’m not going to read Time Magazine, I’m not going to read Newsweek, I’m not going to read any of these magazines; I mean, because they have too much to lose by printing the truth"- Bob Dylan, 1965

Posts: 16691 | Location: Texas | Registered: May 13, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
That was a toy gun. That's why the maggot pulled out the knife subsequently,.... and holding both gun and knife with the same hand. Roll Eyes

Clearly amateur. Probably a millennial living in his mother's basement.

Q

Posts: 26375 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Needs a check up
from the neck up
Picture of Timdogg6
posted Hide Post
WTF is with the lady washing the table just watching at .40 into the video. people piss me off.

The entire reason for the Second Amendment is not for hunting, it’s not for target shooting … it’s there so that you and I can protect our homes and our children and and our families and our lives. And it’s also there as fundamental check on government tyranny. Sen Ted Cruz

Posts: 5131 | Location: Boca Raton, FL The Gunshine State | Registered: July 30, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Character, above all else
Picture of Tailhook 84
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

Agreed, but sometimes you gotta "run what you brung."

Mr. Jerri wasn't involved until he chose to get involved (and good on him for doing so, at some level). But flip-flops are made for cruising, and just cruising on outta there and being a good witness to the situation was another option available to him. Those tactical flip-flops he was running put him at a disadvantage. He may have been better off barefoot for movement purposes.

"The Truth, when first uttered, is always considered heresy."

Posts: 2541 | Location: West of Fort Worth | Registered: March 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Res ipsa loquitur
Picture of BB61
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sigmonkey:
Never interrupt an old man when he's trying to drink his coffee. Never, ever do that.

EXCUSE ME, OLD MAN?!?! I'm almost 58 and that hurt. Wink

Posts: 12465 | Registered: October 13, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sgalczyn
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BB61:
quote:
Originally posted by sigmonkey:

EXCUSE ME, OLD MAN?!?! I'm almost 58 and that hurt. Wink

No offense taken here----55--don't EVER phuq with my coffee

"No matter where you go - there you are"

Posts: 4576 | Location: Eastern PA-Berks/Lehigh Valley | Registered: January 03, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sgalczyn
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by oddball:
quote:

Agreed, and also when the customer had the perp on the floor just randomly punching his back, he really needed to avoid that and basically disable the robber with a hard downward stomping kick to a knee or elbow.

NO - prefer he connected base of the skull - stomp the top of the spinal column - he;ll comply!

"No matter where you go - there you are"

Posts: 4576 | Location: Eastern PA-Berks/Lehigh Valley | Registered: January 03, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Wait, what?
Picture of gearhounds
posted Hide Post
Round these parts, that guy would have been caught in a crossfire from all the CCW's Big Grin

“Remember to get vaccinated or a vaccinated person might get sick from a virus they got vaccinated against because you’re not vaccinated.” - author unknown

Posts: 15572 | Location: Martinsburg WV | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Political Cynic
Picture of nhtagmember
posted Hide Post
and not one chickenshit employee had the balls to help the old guy

Fresno's finest Frown

[B] Against ALL enemies, foreign and DOMESTIC

Posts: 53176 | Location: Tucson Arizona | Registered: January 16, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post