SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Serious career rut
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Serious career rut Login/Join 
Now Serving 7.62
Picture of 10X-Shooter
posted Hide Post
I went through similar feelings. It was difficult to shift speeds from Army 101st to LE. At the Academy (GPSTC), I caught myself sneering inside at the attempts at paramilitary training. No offense to anyone in the business, it's just high speed to low speed. Then, after years I couldn't stand going in and thought "is this all I'll ever do or be?" I ended up going to college full time and worked the dept part time while I earned my BS. A couple of US Marshals I worked with encouraged me to come on board. I applied to club fed but there just weren't any Marshal positions open where I wanted and got offered a spot with Border Patrol. Changed my mind at the last minute. I ended up moving and working with the State. Got me out of the rut but then I didn't have children then.

Posts: 6005 | Location: TN | Registered: February 12, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Just hang in there. I have been in that same rut more than once. But, opportunity knocked and I was prepared. Sounds like you are prepared.

You never know when that chance will come for you.

NRA Life Endowment member
Tri-State Gun collectors Life Member

Posts: 2794 | Location: Ohio | Registered: December 18, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I spent 21 years in harness. 18 on midnights and was also firearms instructor. For various reasons I never sought promotion or an investigation slot.
I was the oldest patrolman on the street when I pulled the plug. I was totally and completely burnt out when I finally decided to go. Do I regret not moving up the ladder or getting off patrol? Sometimes. But what I should have done was get more education and then move into Federal or State level LE.
If you are unhappy now, I cant say it will get any better. Hard as it may be to bail on your new department, maybe you need to look at opportunities in other LE agencies.

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16004 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Do No Harm,
Do Know Harm
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by YooperSigs:
I spent 21 years in harness. 18 on midnights and was also firearms instructor. For various reasons I never sought promotion or an investigation slot.
I was the oldest patrolman on the street when I pulled the plug. I was totally and completely burnt out when I finally decided to go. Do I regret not moving up the ladder or getting off patrol? Sometimes. But what I should have done was get more education and then move into Federal or State level LE.
If you are unhappy now, I cant say it will get any better. Hard as it may be to bail on your new department, maybe you need to look at opportunities in other LE agencies.

I have more respect for the old timer on patrol than any whiteshirt cocksucker. Hands down.

If I can get a change I'll be ok. I'm working on two angles, just not sure if/when I'll get them. I'm teaching the rest of the month, so I've got a break for a bit.

Knowing what one is talking about is widely admired but not strictly required here.

Although sometimes distracting, there is often a certain entertainment value to this easy standard.
-JALLEN

"All I need is a WAR ON DRUGS reference and I got myself a police thread BINGO." -jljones

Posts: 11444 | Location: NC | Registered: August 16, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
hello darkness
my old friend
Picture of gw3971
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RogueJSK:
I'm coming up on 12 years in, and there are days that I definitely feel the same way too.

A change of pace every so often helps. I did a couple years as a SRO, which got me over my first "slump" earlier in my career. And I've recently started teaching at our local academy. I've taken on some supplemental recruiting/public speaking duties too.

quote:
Originally posted by gw3971:
30? Wow. I am 40 days shy of being able to retire with 20 years of service. I can't imagine doing this for 30 years.

It's 28 years for public employees in Arkansas. A bit better than 30, but not by much...
Our 20 year system where we retire with 50% is gone. They moved it back to 25 years which gets you 37%. Happily I'm grandfathered in to older system. the new system is killing us. We actually just lost a couple of guys who decided to to go back to the military. Out last attempt to hire yielded 5 appliCANTS. 28 years is a long time too. I can't imagine having to do that much time.

Posts: 7721 | Location: West Jordan, Utah | Registered: June 19, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raised Hands Surround Us
Three Nails To Protect Us
Picture of Black92LX
posted Hide Post
Ruts are no fun been there but you'll pull out.
I am almost 12 years deep did 6 on 2nd shift patrol life was good for 5 started itching for something different. Put in and got picked for a specialized gig that only 1 person has on the dept so I went to a 7:30a-4:30p M-F plus special events schedule and 24/7 call though most calls could wait till the next day and life was good for a little over 5 years Leadership changed and that gig went to shit real fast. Called it a day in March and went to dayshift patrol and could not be happier. I'll promote through Liuetenant staying in patrol and be there for 3 years and call it a day. Plan is 25 total I can leave at 20 but staying to 25 years I'll be 46 and will have no issue living off the pension and any work I choose to do will be part time at something I can do when I want only because I want.
My 5 years away I got to do a lot of really cool stuff that very few get to do and yes while it was cool and with specialized pay and at least 5 hours of OT week, I much prefer putting in my 10 and calling it a day being with my family sure money is a bit less without extra pay but no big deal. No calls at night, no case load, just take my calls on shift, be a little proactive if the day allows. Honestly it does not get much better my time away from patrol only showed me how great it is.

As for those worries about stats, that is all garbage the number of arrests or citations you write in no way equates to what sort of officer you are.

I arrested a fella last week who I have arrested on at least 3 occasions in the past. He was happy as all go get when I arrived on the scene even though he knew he was going to jail.
Said I am the best cop he knows and he has dealt with lots in many states because no matter what he did I always treated him with respect. It is not about stats it is about people, it is about making your community a better place and there are many more ways to do that than just catching the bad guy especially since around here it ain't nothing but catch and release with our judges.

You'll get out my friend and I am sure I'll get in a rut again at some point in the next 12 years. Maybe it'll be in 8 when I can leave and I say forget staying till 25. But either way that is life we make sacroffices for our kids you moved to be closer get better pay but the work is not as good. In the end being closer to the kids is what matters.

————————————————
The world's not perfect, but it's not that bad.
If we got each other, and that's all we have.
I will be your brother, and I'll hold your hand.
You should know I'll be there for you!

Posts: 25354 | Registered: September 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post