SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Serious career rut
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Serious career rut Login/Join 
Do No Harm,
Do Know Harm
posted
I left the job of my dreams to be closer to my kiddos almost 3 years ago.

My new agency pays much much better, but two things are wearing me down. The 'job' has changed significantly since I started, meaning it's less fun, and we are so short staffed that I don't know when I'll be able to get a gig off patrol, and patrol is a miserable existence at the moment. Miserable as in I am bored shitless and dread going to work every day.

I teach at our academy frequently, so that breaks up the misery. I have the rarest specialized instructor certification in the state, so I'm guaranteed to teach a week of each academy class, plus I do related re-certification classes for the dept several times a month. But all that does is mess up my normal schedule, usually for less pay (I either lose hours having to work an 8 hour day rather than a 10 hour patrol day, or do it as a community college instructor for several dollars an hour less than my PD pay). Frankly, I'd almost just rather have the time off. And don't get me started on brass that think they are too important to attend one of the 56+ recert classes I'll offer this year... Roll Eyes

That aside, I really have no desire to end up being a house-mouse at the academy. I want to get back into investigations, either drug or gang. I cannot imagine pulling another 18ish years feeling like this, being literally bored to tears doing nearly pointless reports. But we don't have the bodies to fill the openings in those units, and if we do there are a dozen people putting in that have more years with this agency or better friends in the right spots.

Ugh. At least I'm teaching the next few weeks and have a break from patrol. How the hell can people do this for 30 years?

Knowing what one is talking about is widely admired but not strictly required here.

Although sometimes distracting, there is often a certain entertainment value to this easy standard.
-JALLEN

"All I need is a WAR ON DRUGS reference and I got myself a police thread BINGO." -jljones

Posts: 11446 | Location: NC | Registered: August 16, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of konata88
posted Hide Post
Why 30? Won't your kids grow up, leave for college and maybe settle elsewhere for a job within 18 years? Just need to hold out until then and then go back to a dream job somewhere?

You're doing what you're doing where you're doing it to be with your kids. Noble in my mind.

"Wrong does not cease to be wrong because the majority share in it." L.Tolstoy
"A government is just a body of people, usually, notably, ungoverned." Shepherd Book

Posts: 12683 | Location: In the gilded cage | Registered: December 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Do No Harm,
Do Know Harm
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by konata88:
Why 30? Won't your kids grow up, leave for college and maybe settle elsewhere for a job within 18 years? Just need to hold out until then and then go back to a dream job somewhere?

You're doing what you're doing where you're doing it to be with your kids. Noble in my mind.

30 years is full retirement in NC for LEO. If I leave and go to another agency my pay will be significantly less, leading to much less in retirement.

Knowing what one is talking about is widely admired but not strictly required here.

Although sometimes distracting, there is often a certain entertainment value to this easy standard.
-JALLEN

"All I need is a WAR ON DRUGS reference and I got myself a police thread BINGO." -jljones

Posts: 11446 | Location: NC | Registered: August 16, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by chongosuerte:
...How the hell can people do this for 30 years?

Most don't. These days, people change careers several times. I changed three times, usually not from choice but necessitated by declining industries -- as opposed to evolving, as yours is. You're in a rut, and that happens to nearly everybody, but that doesn't mean you have to change, and I'd suggest you try riding it out while you look at different options.

There's a career test that is called the Iowa Strong Interest Inventory. I was familiar with it in past years, and found it very accurately directed several friends of mine. Check if it's offered in your area, spend the money, take the test, and I don't think you'll regret it.

Good luck.

--------------------------
Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.
-- H L Mencken

I always prefer reality when I can figure out what it is.
-- JALLEN 10/18/18

Posts: 9127 | Location: Illinois farm country | Registered: November 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of konata88
posted Hide Post
quote:

30 years is full retirement in NC for LEO. If I leave and go to another agency my pay will be significantly less, leading to much less in retirement.

Oh, I see. It's a kind of non-transferable seniority system it seems. Pros and cons I guess.

"Wrong does not cease to be wrong because the majority share in it." L.Tolstoy
"A government is just a body of people, usually, notably, ungoverned." Shepherd Book

Posts: 12683 | Location: In the gilded cage | Registered: December 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His Royal Hiney
Picture of Rey HRH
posted Hide Post
Figure out what you really want knowing you can't have everything.

After you figure out what your real priority is, then keep your eye on the prize and go toward that. Don't look sideways or backward.

"It did not really matter what we expected from life, but rather what life expected from us. We needed to stop asking about the meaning of life, and instead to think of ourselves as those who were being questioned by life – daily and hourly. Our answer must consist not in talk and meditation, but in right action and in right conduct. Life ultimately means taking the responsibility to find the right answer to its problems and to fulfill the tasks which it constantly sets for each individual." Viktor Frankl, Man's Search for Meaning, 1946.

Posts: 19583 | Location: The Free State of Arizona - Ditat Deus | Registered: March 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
For real?
Picture of Chowser
posted Hide Post
It's 25 years here in Ohio. I started at the right age so I can leave on time. I'm grandfathered for the 25 years/age 48. I can leave at age 48.5. I have 5.6 years left and am counting down. Not going to work a hour after I can leave. I'm so bored I dread coming in. There's no units, no advancement, etc. The pay is good and medical not too expensive.

But my youngest is eleven. He'll still be in high school when I can retire. I'm working it out with my exwife now to move him and his sister to her insurance so I can get out on time. I'll find something else to do. Just need to make it the 5.6 years to get the pension.

You're always doing it for your kids like I am so you've got your priorities straight. Stop or slow down the side jobs. This is time you can't get back with your kids.

Be safe.

Not minority enough!

Posts: 7993 | Location: Cleveland, OH | Registered: August 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
hello darkness
my old friend
Picture of gw3971
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by konata88:

30? Wow. I am 40 days shy of being able to retire with 20 years of service. I can't imagine doing this for 30 years. no fucking way...

Posts: 7721 | Location: West Jordan, Utah | Registered: June 19, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A Beautiful Mind
Picture of DetonicsMk6
posted Hide Post
Be the Gray Man. Make sure your arrest and citation stats are in the 75th percentile, help the newbies who want to learn the trade. Keep yourself fit. Be a "lifestyler". Focus on your life outside of work and your children. Don't worry, you'll have plenty of good calls and good arrests over time. If you don't burn out first.

Posts: 4801 | Registered: March 06, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I know the feeling. I seem to be in the same rut in an entirely different field. I hope you find whatever it is that will get you through, as it seems you at least have a good reason for continuing to slog it out.

A Perpetual Disappointment...

Posts: 2731 | Location: BFE, Ohio | Registered: August 05, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of fpuhan
posted Hide Post
"The difference between a rut and a grave? There's a way out of a rut."

You can't truly call yourself "peaceful" unless you are capable of great violence. If you're not capable of great violence, you're not peaceful, you're harmless.

NRA Benefactor/Patriot Member

Posts: 2857 | Location: Peoples Republic of North Virginia | Registered: December 04, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
7.62mm Crusader
posted Hide Post
I'll just say keep the good paying position, boring or not, until you can change for the better. Gangs might be more exciting but you get one bad injury and you're done. Let that factor in.

Posts: 17891 | Location: The Bluegrass State! | Registered: December 23, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I am there with you, and have been for a couple of years I really felt it at my last agency before I left VA. I only had to do the some of the academic, firearms, drivings etc.. (Basically a 1/4 of the academy) to be re-certified and I really had no desire.

That is why I didn't apply to Charlotte PD like you suggested.

I just need a break from running calls for service.

That is why I chose the Medical Examiner Investigator position so I can broaden my skill set and get out of routine patrol.

Now if I could have gotten on with traffic and just did accident investigation for a while that would have changed things some.

Like you I was way down on the list and didn't have the right "friends".

Posts: 1836 | Location: In NC trying to get back to VA | Registered: March 03, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 10-7 leo
posted Hide Post
I have been in your position, several times.
Went from PD to FD, then back to PD (several agencies).

My retirement was split between several different systems so I wound up with a deferred retirement under each system. The retirement is a lot less than if I had all my time under one system.

If I hadn't made the switches, I have no doubt about what would have happened years ago. The medical issues I have now would have shown up long before now and probably would have been more serious.

Do some soul searching, be honest with yourself, and I think you'll find your answer.

Sic Semper Tyrannis
If you beat your swords into plowshares, you will become farmers for those who didn't!
Political Correctness is fascism pretending to be Manners-George Carlin

Posts: 2038 | Location: Central FL | Registered: September 03, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
I'm coming up on 12 years in, and there are days that I definitely feel the same way too.

A change of pace every so often helps. I did a couple years as a SRO, which got me over my first "slump" earlier in my career. And I've recently started teaching at our local academy. I've taken on some supplemental recruiting/public speaking duties too.

quote:
Originally posted by gw3971:
30? Wow. I am 40 days shy of being able to retire with 20 years of service. I can't imagine doing this for 30 years.

It's 28 years for public employees in Arkansas. A bit better than 30, but not by much...

Posts: 32429 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
10-8
Picture of Apphunter
posted Hide Post
Chongo,

We started this gig about the same time and your right it has changed. I am burned out too. I just took the front desk position which basically means I do nothing for 8hrs and it is a nice break and gets me some face time with decision makers in the town. I know it sounds horrible to people who were born to be street cops but I needed the break.

I figure I will do a year get the fire back in my belly and go lay waste to the crooks when I'm ready.

Posts: 914 | Registered: November 06, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Step by step walk the thousand mile road
Picture of Sig2340
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by fpuhan:
"The difference between a rut and a grave? There's a way out of a rut."

Neurotics get into a rut and then furnish it.

The only difference between a rut and a grave are the dimensions.

I can't help. I'm doing glorified word processing right now. Well compensated word processing, but that's about it. I've been trying to escape for a decade.

Nice is overrated

"It's every freedom-loving individual's duty to lie to the government."
Airsoftguy, June 29, 2018

Posts: 31382 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: May 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nosce te ipsum
Picture of Woodman
posted Hide Post
I'll tell you this about career rut:

You go to work and come home. The impact of trying to change the routine seems like too much trouble, and you accept the funk of the present. Years go by really fast. When you finally make a major change, you look back and say, "Where did all the time go?"

In summary, career rut seriously sucks time out of your life.

Posts: 8759 | Registered: March 24, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of HayesGreener
posted Hide Post
Patrol should be exciting work. A change in shift or duty assignment can make a huge difference in your perspective. New faces, different nature of calls, different supervisors are good things from time to time. You didn't mention your shift. If you are working mids for an extended period without a break it can bring you down. If you have a mentor, discuss with him/her. If you don't have a mentor, get one.

CMSGT USAF (Retired)
Chief of Police (Retired)

Posts: 4358 | Location: Florida Panhandle | Registered: September 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Do No Harm,
Do Know Harm
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by HayesGreener:
Patrol should be exciting work. A change in shift or duty assignment can make a huge difference in your perspective. New faces, different nature of calls, different supervisors are good things from time to time. You didn't mention your shift. If you are working mids for an extended period without a break it can bring you down. If you have a mentor, discuss with him/her. If you don't have a mentor, get one.

I work 2nd shift, 1pm to 11pm. It's very busy. There are 23 of us in my division/shift and my stats so far this year put me at #2 (behind a rookie/freak of nature) in the group. So I'm holding my own despite my rut. Time-wise, I think I am #4 out of the 23 of us on my shift for years of service.

We don't really have mentors, beyond our sergeants. What's killing me is that there is no light at the end of the tunnel right now. There is very little movement due to staff shortages. Our street team has 4 or 5 openings and hasn't had anyone new since Jan 2016; the city's gang unit hasn't advertised for openings for over a year; the Vice unit hasn't advertised for openings for well over a year either. We will have one division-level detective opening in a few months, but I don't think I want to investigate break-ins.

Before I came here I was a gang detective, and before that I worked dope on patrol and as a public housing/gang officer. That's what I miss. That, and mainly working as a member of a team, versus running around answering calls like a chicken with its head cut off.

-JALLEN