SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    JALLEN’s Ammo Inventory - Update on Page 3
Page 1 2 3 4 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

JALLEN’s Ammo Inventory - Update on Page 3 Login/Join 
Picture of Rinehart
posted Hide Post
Very tough to hear this happened.

When I was living in Western NY a friend of a friend passed and his wife was not gun-knowledgeable.

Her husband had a number of pistols on his NY concealed carry permit (in NY pistols have to be listed on the permit) so after about a week you can guess what happened. The NY state police showed up because the wife did not have a NY concealed carry permit.

They did a superb job of intimidating her into surrendering all of his pistols "to keep them safe". They ended up with a local gun shop that promised to sell them for her.

She was taken advantage of bigtime. One 1911 he had was evidently a 1943 Ithaca and the dealer gave her $350 for it.

The lesson I took away from that situation was to encourage folks who live in unfriendly states to by all means have your wife get her concealed carry permit. If you don't have this in place in many states these days they will come for the pistols on the permit. Also have a list of your firearms by description, serial and have an estimated value for each.

Posts: 1507 | Location: PA | Registered: March 15, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Truth Seeker
Picture of StorminNormin
posted Hide Post
Originally all NFA items I bought were bought as me as an individual. Now anything I buy is done as a trust; thanks HeavyD! I now have to start working on and paying to transfer the individual items into my trust so if I die they don’t have to be destroyed and anyone on my trust can possess them.

NRA Benefactor Life Member

Posts: 8668 | Location: The Lone Star State | Registered: July 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Smarter than the
average bear
posted Hide Post
Can any attorneys in Texas address the issue of getting ripped off by Cabelas? I know Louisiana is strange, but we have protection against making a deal that is too lopsided. Maybe there is something in Texas law that would offer some relief? I would at least contact the manager of that Cabelas--it's certainly bad publicity to be ripping off a widow.

Anyone who deals in merchandise tries to buy low and sell high, but there really is a line that can be crossed, and it sounds like it was crossed here.

Posts: 3435 | Location: Baton Rouge, Louisiana | Registered: June 20, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get on the fifty!
Picture of Andyb
posted Hide Post
Shame, I doubt he only had $500 in firearms.

Thanks for helping with the ammo.

"Pickin' stones and pullin' teats is a hard way to make a living. But, sure as God's got sandals, it beats fightin' dudes with treasure trails."

"We've been tricked, we've been backstabbed, and we've been quite possibly, bamboozled."

Posts: 3600 | Location: OK | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A Grateful American
Picture of sigmonkey
posted Hide Post
Not to detract from the OP, but it occurred to me.

While a "will" is a good thing to have, so may be a "contact the sigforum in case I go before you" sort of note in the safe, safe deposit box, the "if I should leave this world before you, list/book" of things to do.

There are enough good folk who could help those loved ones in a time of need, helping to deal with the collections of things they may have no knowledge or desire to keep, and letting some "eager to make a buck" outfit, pawn shop, guns store or even a not-so-nice family member take advantage of someone.

And my respect to those who have offered to step up and help.

"the meaning of life, is to give life meaning" Ani Yehudi אני יהודי Le'olam lo shuv לעולם לא שוב!

Posts: 43882 | Location: ...... I am thrice divorced, and I live in a van DOWN BY THE RIVER!!! (in Arkansas) | Registered: December 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Sigless in
Indiana
Picture of IndianaBoy
posted Hide Post
Please tell Martine that I always enjoyed Jallen. His intellect and demeanor will be missed.

We are all diminished by our loss of him.

Posts: 14124 | Location: Indiana | Registered: December 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lighten up and laugh
Picture of Ackks
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by StorminNormin:
I really wish I could have sold the firearms for her and would have done it here. During my last visit with Jim before he passed away he was asking me about me trying to sell his firearms, but Martine wasn’t in the room and I didn’t expect him to pass away so soon. I didn’t want to ask Martine about selling them for her. I left it to be for her to contact me if she needed any help with anything. I am sure Cabela’s could tell her and his son did not know about firearms and took advantage of them, which is a shame.

It is utterly shocking that Cabela's would take advantage of them like that.

Posts: 7934 | Registered: September 29, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Cynic
Picture of charlie12
posted Hide Post
Please keep telling her how much we liked Jim and enjoyed his post. I always learned something from his post.

It's terrible about his guns. Reminds me of a local ham here that had cancer and only had a few months left. He got his close ham friends to sell his radio equipment for him before his death. He didn't want his wife to get ripped off after he died.

Yep we miss Jim.

Posts: 13020 | Location: Pride, Louisiana | Registered: August 14, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I have not yet begun
to procrastinate
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sigmonkey:
Not to detract from the OP, but it occurred to me.
While a "will" is a good thing to have, so may be a "contact the sigforum in case I go before you" sort of note in the safe, safe deposit box, the "if I should leave this world before you, list/book" of things to do.
And my respect to those who have offered to step up and help.

That's a good idea! (and a great attaboy)

You're a good man StorminNormin.

--------
After the game, the King and the pawn go into the same box.

Posts: 3775 | Location: Central AZ | Registered: October 26, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of smlsig
posted Hide Post
Stormin' thanks for taking on this task and I'll add my name to the list of those who are pissed that Cabellas took advantage of this family.

I am actually going through this situation for a friend of mine in our car club. My friend passed a few weeks ago of a massive heart attack. His wife had to be put in hospice as a result of her medical conditions. His sister called me and asked me to help sell his '86 Porsche 930 Turbo.

When I started putting the word out I had people offering me peanuts to what the car was worth. We are in the process of selling it to another member for almost four times some of the lowball offers...
It just pisses me off that someone would take advantage of a person like this...

------------------
Eddie

Our Founding Fathers were men who understood that the right thing is not necessarily the written thing. -kkina

Posts: 6317 | Location: In transit | Registered: February 19, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Too old to run,
too mean to quit!
posted Hide Post
Yes, I miss JALLEN, too. Enjoyed his posts and contributions.

Truly sad to hear about how Cabela's ripped her off over his guns. I wonder if some publicity might get them to make amends.

Just wondering here, but I think it is possible that some employee at Cabela's ended up with the collection.

But then, I quit doing any kind of business with them some time ago.

Elk

There has never been an occasion where a people gave up their weapons in the interest of peace that didn't end in their massacre. (Louis L'Amour)

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical. "
-Thomas Jefferson

"America is great because she is good. If America ceases to be good, America will cease to be great." Alexis de Tocqueville

FBHO!!!

The Idaho Elk Hunter

Posts: 25643 | Location: Virginia | Registered: December 16, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sourdough44
posted Hide Post
Stormin, very nice of you to help settle. I know if I was gone my wife would be at a loss to dispose of ammo & Arms in a fair way.

I asked a guy I know at a gun shop in MI what he does in cases like this, the grieving widow brings in some firearms? He said he offers a fair price, knowing that in a smaller town word will soon be out about his trading. He does keep some margin in his offers so he can resell at a price to move them. I believe him, bought a 1954 Browning ‘Sweet Sixteen’ off him that came in under those circumstances.

The $500 number does sound low. It’s likely water under the bridge, but we’d 1st have to factor in exactly what firearms were in the mix, and condition? Of course it wouldn’t take much to get to that figure.

I applaud you for helping Mrs Jallen.

Posts: 6159 | Location: WI | Registered: February 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Good on you. I did this a couple of years ago for a friend that passed. Let me know where to send some $$ and consider it a gift for the family.

Posts: 616 | Location: West By God VA | Registered: July 05, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Truth Seeker
Picture of StorminNormin
posted Hide Post
I have to say I have no idea of how many guns they took to Cabela’s or what condition they were in. I know at some point he must have had multiple pistols and at least one rifle, but it is possible he could have sold some before he passed. $500 sounded really low to me, but it could be possible Cabela’s gave what a dealer would give and I am thinking more along the lines of what they should have gotten from a private sale. I just figured that even if it was just two guns, it should have been more than $500, but I could be wrong.

Posts: 8668 | Location: The Lone Star State | Registered: July 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I'd rather be hated for who I am than loved for who I am not
posted Hide Post
quote:
I have to say I have no idea of how many guns they took to Cabela’s or what condition they were in. I know at some point he must have had multiple pistols and at least one rifle, but it is possible he could have sold some before he passed. $500 sounded really low to me, but it could be possible Cabela’s gave what a dealer would give and I am thinking more along the lines of what they should have gotten from a private sale. I just figured that even if it was just two guns, it should have been more than $500, but I could be wrong.

Hard to say without the specifics but that's pretty much what gun shops do. If they are decent they will pull out a book values and show the person exactly what their fire arm is worth retail, private and gun store price

My wife shoots and has an idea about values. She also know that I have two friends that are willing to take care of the selling if she prefers. But I am going to do an inventory for insurance and death purposes. I am going to do a ammo inventory as well!!

Posts: 7799 | Location: Bismarck ND | Registered: February 19, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of maladat
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally all NFA items I bought were bought as me as an individual. Now anything I buy is done as a trust; thanks HeavyD! I now have to start working on and paying to transfer the individual items into my trust so if I die they don’t have to be destroyed and anyone on my trust can possess them.

Personally-owned NFA items don't have to be destroyed when you die. They can be transferred, tax-exempt, to a beneficiary of your estate by the personal representative/executor of your estate using an NFA Form 5.

Posts: 6319 | Location: CA | Registered: January 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Truth Seeker
Picture of StorminNormin
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by maladat:
quote:

Personally-owned NFA items don't have to be destroyed when you die. They can be transferred, tax-exempt, to a beneficiary of your estate by the personal representative/executor of your estate using an NFA Form 5.

Good to know!

Green grass and
high tides
Picture of old rugged cross
posted Hide Post
I sure hope Jim did not have much of a firearm collection at the point of his death. $500 is one or two maybe.
It is sad his son did not have more interest in it in terms of what it was.
Many here would of bought it surely.

"Practice like you want to play in the game"

Posts: 19187 | Registered: September 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The first time I lunch with Jim, it was to buy some ammo he no longer needed. I live close, in Wimberley. I would be interested.

Posts: 1607 | Location: Texas Hill Country | Registered: April 07, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Truth Seeker
Picture of StorminNormin
posted Hide Post
Everything is now posted in the Classifieds. https://sigforum.com/eve/forums...0601935/m/8950046054