SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    JALLEN’s Ammo Inventory - Update on Page 3
Page 1 2 3 4 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

JALLEN’s Ammo Inventory - Update on Page 3 Login/Join 
Truth Seeker
Picture of StorminNormin
posted
JALLEN’s wife, Martine, reached out to me and asked if I would help her to get rid of Jim’s ammunition. When Jim’s son was in town, they went and sold all of the guns except one at Cabela’s. Sadly it sounds like they got ripped off as they only got $500 for everything although I do not know how many guns they sold or their condition. Today I went and spent some time with Martine and picked up all of the ammunition. I let her know people here miss Jim and still talk about him which made her very happy. She also did not know how to use the gun she kept so I worked with her on educating her about it.

I will be organizing the ammo and will sell it and give Martine 100% of the money. My first thought was to put the ammo up for sale here on SigForum so members can have first dibs. I was also thinking of just listing the quantity of each caliber and letting people who wanted to buy it decide what they are willing to pay for how many rounds they want knowing the money will go to Martine.

I would imagine it would be easiest to sell to people in the Austin, TX area so I can meet face to face so there is no shipping. Obviously I would ship if someone is willing to pay for the shipping costs. Once interest drops and if there is any ammo left, then I will try to sell the remainder on Craigslist or something.

I will post the ammo in the Classifieds section as soon as I have it inventoried and I am open to any suggestions on how best to sell the ammo.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: StorminNormin,

NRA Benefactor Life Member

Posts: 8668 | Location: The Lone Star State | Registered: July 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Conservative Behind
Enemy Lines
Picture of synthplayer
posted Hide Post
I would like to buy some because it once belonged to JALLEN! And, I would, of course, pay for shipping.

Good on you for helping Jim's wife through this.

I found what you said riveting.

Posts: 10703 | Location: SF Bay Area | Registered: June 06, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Slayer of Agapanthus

posted Hide Post
I am interested also, and live in the area. A shame about the guns. IIRC, JALLEN had an HK that would have been worth almost $500 itself.

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye". The Little Prince, Antoine de Saint-Exupery, pilot and author, lost on mission, July 1944, Med Theatre.

Posts: 5962 | Location: Central Texas | Registered: September 14, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by synthplayer:
I would like to buy some because it once belonged to JALLEN! And, I would, of course, pay for shipping.

Good on you for helping Jim's wife through this.

Same here. I will pay whatever current new manufacturer price is for 9mm plus shipping. It really sucks they got ripped off on the guns. I'm sure there would have been interest here for them.

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 20810 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Learn it, know it, live it
Picture of 1lowlife
posted Hide Post
I'd be interested as well and will pay shipping to Dallas.
I'll even email you a shipping label so all you'll have to do drop it off at UPS.
I'll be subbing to this thread, so please give us a heads up here when you get the classified ad up.

Send me an email of any 9mm, 38, or 357mag ammo you might have if you'd like.
I'd love to help Jim's wife get a decent return on the ammo.

I hate that Cabela's screwed them on the sale of the guns, but that is what they do.

I recently made a spreadsheet of all my firearms and their worth and put it with my list of accounts and passwords in my wife's safe with our will. ...

This message has been edited. Last edited by: 1lowlife,

Posts: 4359 | Location: Great State of TEXAS | Registered: July 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks for being there to help Jim's widow.

Posts: 1349 | Location: WI | Registered: July 07, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nosce te ipsum
Picture of Woodman
posted Hide Post
Lately I’ve been wanting to learn tuba. Pack up, move to New Orleans, and play with a jazz group on the streets.

I made Jim‘s avatar, of him with his tuba. Maybe he had a bunch of them, and they’re not sure what’s going to happen to the instruments. I’d even be interested in broken instruments or parts of instruments.

Posts: 8759 | Registered: March 24, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Truth Seeker
Picture of StorminNormin
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Woodman:
Lately I’ve been wanting to learn tuba. Pack up, move to New Orleans, and play with a jazz group on the streets.

I made Jim‘s avatar, of him with his tuba. Maybe he had a bunch of them, and they’re not sure what’s going to happen to the instruments. I’d even be interested in broken instruments or parts of instruments.

I can ask her about any instruments if you would like. The only one I have ever seen in their home is a piano; she teaches piano lessons.

Posts: 8668 | Location: The Lone Star State | Registered: July 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nature is full of
magnificent creatures
posted Hide Post
StorminNormin, if they sell any copies of the ham radio book he co-authored, which is out of print, I would be interested in buying a copy.

It is not something I would normally bring up, but if she is getting rid of things, I better ask now.

Posts: 6273 | Registered: March 24, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Some Shot:
Thanks for being there to help Jim's widow.

Yes Thanks for helping and letting her know he impacted people far and wide.

The butcher with the sharpest knife has the warmest heart.

Posts: 13397 | Location: Bottom of Lake Washington | Registered: March 06, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Truth Seeker
Picture of StorminNormin
posted Hide Post
We had a really good visit and she really got happy when I told her how much Jim is missed. I wanted to make sure she knew that. I have always told her, and Jim when he was around, that I will always be there to help them with anything they ever need and made sure to reiterate it today to Martine. She spent some time showing me a lot of photos of Jim’s life and was pretty cool to see. I didn’t know they had dinner once at the Whitehouse and Jim took a picture with Bush 41.

Truth Seeker
Picture of StorminNormin
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 1lowlife:
I recently made a spreadsheet of all my firearms and their worth and put it with my list of accounts and passwords in my wife's safe with our will. ...

I also have a spreadsheet for firearms, but I really need to make a list with all my accounts and their passwords because you never know when something could happen and I would hate for my wife to not have the information.

Slayer of Agapanthus

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by StorminNormin:
quote:

I also have a spreadsheet for firearms, but I really need to make a list with all my accounts and their passwords because you never know when something could happen and I would hate for my wife to not have the information.

Truth, let us all heed this.

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye". The Little Prince, Antoine de Saint-Exupery, pilot and author, lost on mission, July 1944, Med Theatre.

Posts: 5962 | Location: Central Texas | Registered: September 14, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
^^^ That is a good idea.

Posts: 6872 | Location: Treasure Coast,Fl. | Registered: July 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gracie Allen is my
personal savior!
posted Hide Post
I'm glad you're doing this, StorminNorman. I'm in the area; let us know when you're ready to hit the Classifieds.

Posts: 27291 | Location: Deep in the heart of the brush country, and closing on that #&*%!?! roadrunner. Really. | Registered: February 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nature is full of
magnificent creatures
posted Hide Post
quote:
I didn’t know they had dinner once at the Whitehouse and Jim took a picture with Bush 41.

Jim was private and humble. He would never have spoken of such a thing publicly, but it would be fascinating to know something of the story behind that dinner. One could infer from his posts he had respect for 41 and knew him in some manner.

Posts: 6273 | Registered: March 24, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Learn it, know it, live it
Picture of 1lowlife
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

Yes, I pay all the bills every month online.
Made a list of all utility, bank accounts, credit union, insurance, 401K, and all credit card accounts (even though the CC all have a zero balance) user names and passwords.

I also listed in my firearm inventory who gets what as far as my wife and 2 grown kids.
But I did include a dollar amount in case they were to want to sell them, although I don't think they would.
My wife and grown kids have no idea how much any of these firearms are worth if they wanted to sell them.
And it is not like they are rare valuable items, I have several Glocks that aren't worth more than $400 each.

Posts: 4359 | Location: Great State of TEXAS | Registered: July 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just because you can,
doesn't mean you should
posted Hide Post
Reading this thread makes me think how many of us, or our survivors, would find themselves in a similar situation.
Maybe we should have a few contacts listed somewhere in here that could help other family's in a similar situation. This could benefit not only the heirs but also keep some of the more special stuff in the family, so to speak.
Most of us have a few special items that someone here would value, not just in financial terms, owning and it could keep the vulnerable family members from being fleeced too.
I think JALLEN would like that too.

Posts: 9493 | Location: NE GA | Registered: August 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I and several of my friends have listed each other in wills as a firearm executor. Along with a list of people not to be allowed in the house . There is one friend i have begged to do an inventory. Probably won't get it done

Posts: 547 | Location: Dothan, Alabama | Registered: August 27, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Truth Seeker
Picture of StorminNormin
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 220-9er:
Reading this thread makes me think how many of us, or our survivors, would find themselves in a similar situation.
Maybe we should have a few contacts listed somewhere in here that could help other family's in a similar situation. This could benefit not only the heirs but also keep some of the more special stuff in the family, so to speak.
Most of us have a few special items that someone here would value, not just in financial terms, owning and it could keep the vulnerable family members from being fleeced too.
I think JALLEN would like that too.

I really wish I could have sold the firearms for her and would have done it here. During my last visit with Jim before he passed away he was asking me about me trying to sell his firearms, but Martine wasn’t in the room and I didn’t expect him to pass away so soon. I didn’t want to ask Martine about selling them for her. I left it to be for her to contact me if she needed any help with anything. I am sure Cabela’s could tell her and his son did not know about firearms and took advantage of them, which is a shame.