SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Coyote attacks homeowner
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Coyote attacks homeowner Login/Join 
Picture of craigcpa
posted
Just a reminder for, coyotes are out there. Waiting for rabies results...

"According to the Wildlife Resources Commission, as of March 1, 2018, there have been 367 attacks by non-rabid coyotes in the United States and Canada; however, no attacks have occurred in North Carolina."

Link

==========================================
Just my 2¢

Clowns to the left of me, Jokers to the right ♫♫♫

Posts: 7731 | Location: Raleighwood | Registered: June 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of TigerDore
posted Hide Post
That's a good reminder, craigcpa.

It has been a while, but I've seen a pair of them in the evening as I was walking my dogs. They scampered away as we approached(I didn't realize they were there at first).

Another time, a neighbor looked out of his window and witnessed a coyote jump his back fence at night, attacking and killing his cat before he could do anything about it.

I think we have this area under control at present, but now I carry when I take an evening stroll.

Posts: 8615 | Registered: September 26, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
We have some ‘yotes around.

Just another reason to carry a firearm at all times, because they are there and gone before you know it.

I saw one out front, about 50 yards away but it was dawn and all I had was a handgun. I didn’t even try to run for a rifle, as he was gone to the tree line in less than 20 seconds.

Neighbor tagged his ass with some 22s a couple days later, about the same time. So he got his. Big Grin

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just because you can,
doesn't mean you should
posted Hide Post
They seem to have a healthy respect for humans around here so if one got close I'd be very concerned that it had rabies.

Posts: 9495 | Location: NE GA | Registered: August 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
pretty sure it will be positive for rabies

good thing the son was able to kill it

------------------------------------

Proverbs 27:17 - As iron sharpens iron, so one man sharpens another.

Posts: 8940 | Location: Florida | Registered: September 20, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Coyotes and raccoons flourish in suburbia. People are a good source of food between the garbage we put outside, feeding our pets outside, etc. Raccoons and coyotes are competitors for the food source. Raccoons are A#1 carriers for rabies and in most suburban places their population runs at max capacity.
The raccoon looks cool and it a neat animal to watch, but it isn't a bad idea to keep them thinned out a little when you get a chance.

Posts: 3718 | Registered: August 13, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
goodheart
Picture of sjtill
posted Hide Post
When we moved to our current neighborhood in San Diego (Scripps Ranch), my wife noted we heard lots of birds singing. We were told it's because coyotes kill any cats that go outside. People put up "lost cat" posters but in vain.

Posts: 18044 | Location: One hop from Paradise | Registered: July 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
7.62mm Crusader
posted Hide Post
I have watched what I think is the same yote around 10 times now, crossing the Flea Market property at night. He got a kitten I was feeding. A adult black cat has been coming to eat for about a month now. I watched the yote leave the exit last week and a small SUV had to brake to avoid hitting him. It does seem to be true they like fog and miserable nights for hunting. Within 40 feet of my car I got out and chased his wet hungry ass. They are very fast. All I could think of was CCI Stingers or the old Remington Yellow Jackets. Those conical Remingtons were spot on out of my old Single shot rifle.

Posts: 17900 | Location: The Bluegrass State! | Registered: December 23, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bolt Thrower
Picture of Voshterkoff
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RHINOWSO:
Just another reason to carry a firearm at all times, because they are there and gone before you know it.

I have taken to pocket carrying my LCP Custom when lounging in sweats or track pants. Several times they have been fewer than 10 yards from the back patio checking out a rabbit den. I have a SP101 nearby, but they spook the second you stand up. One group of three were huge, the largest could have taken the neighborhors GSD.

Posts: 9956 | Location: Woodinville, WA | Registered: March 30, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post