SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Anybody use Financial Engines?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Anybody use Financial Engines? Login/Join 
Picture of fwbulldog
posted
The company I work for apparently pays for Financial Engines to do portfolio suggestions for our 401k. I've never used the service, because I'm always wary of paid financial advisers trying to steer me into things good for the financial adviser.

My 401k is currently in a 2035 fund (based on retirement year), and is doing about %15 this year.

Financial Engines suggests some big tweaks, and not being a "hands-on" investor, I'm hesitant to change what seems to be working.

Anybody here use Financial Engines, or know anything about them?

Posts: 3017 | Location: Round Rock | Registered: February 11, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A day late, and
a dollar short
Picture of Warhorse
posted Hide Post
I used their services when I was still working.

Felt like they did an excellent job with my 401K. Of course I paid them, not my employer.

Posts: 13680 | Location: Michigan | Registered: July 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
goodheart
Picture of sjtill
posted Hide Post
Our company used Financial Engines for its 401k. There were two levels of service:
1. Free, which analyzed your portfolio and made recommendations
2. Paid by individual client, which manages your entire portfolio.
I used the latter service for a while, but their plan was too conservative for my needs, and I felt better managing the portfolio myself.
The free service I would recommend, but also educating yourself in other aspects of investment.

Posts: 18052 | Location: One hop from Paradise | Registered: July 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
If you're turning 15 percent, leave it alone.

Posts: 17141 | Location: Lexington, KY | Registered: October 15, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of mikeyspizza
posted Hide Post
You can figure it out yourself. Google "asset allocation calculator." There are many out there.

Here's a questionnaire-based one from Vanguard Link,

and an input-driven one from Bankrate Link

Here's a tutorial on asset allocation from the SEC Link

Posts: 4010 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: August 16, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just because you can,
doesn't mean you should
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Fredward:
If you're turning 15 percent, leave it alone.

15% recently isn’t all that great. 15% average over ten years is a different story.

Posts: 9500 | Location: NE GA | Registered: August 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post