SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Mathematics is Racist!
Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Mathematics is Racist! Login/Join 
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sigfreund:
quote:
Originally posted by V-Tail:
They memorize sine of 30, 45, and 60 degrees and use the closest one.
It is truly remarkable to see someone make reference to the sine of the angle of a crosswind to calculate its effect in comparison to a full value (90°) wind.

That’s obviously the same way to determine the effect of crosswinds on bullets in flight, but despite the numerous books I’ve read on long range shooting and ballistics, I do not recall ever having seen the sine of the wind angle mentioned. Countless wind deflection charts have been published (some with significant errors), but it’s as if very few shooters, even the most skilled and experienced, really understand where the values come from.
I have been doing this flight instruction stuff for a long time (since the 1960s). There are a lot of "rule of thumb" shortcuts that yield approximations that are close enough for real-world flying as opposed to the really accurate answers that are required for the written exam. For the written, you're sitting in a safe chair, with plenty of time to use a calculator. In real-world flying, you might be bouncing around in gusty wind conditions, with the need to make decisions quickly.

We (flight instructors) are required to state that a student pilot has received appropriate training prior to authorizing the student to make solo flights. In scenario-based oral quizzes, I set up a marginal wind condition and ask the student to walk me through the process of landing safely.

Some, most, students give me long, detailed descriptions of the textbook techniques for crosswind landings. The good students, fewer in number, simply tell me that they would divert to a nearby airport that has runways more closely aligned with the wind. Amazing, how the simple answer is so often the correct one.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30669 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I Deal In Lead
Picture of Flash-LB
posted Hide Post
Occam's Razor

Posts: 10626 | Location: Gilbert Arizona | Registered: March 21, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
My other Sig
is a Steyr.
Picture of .38supersig
posted Hide Post
Finding The Right Answer A Sign Of White Supremacy

Objectivity is described as “the belief that there is such a thing as being objective or ‘neutral.'” The program’s encourages teachers not to focus on a single correct answer, but to “come up with at least two answers that might solve this problem” and to “Challenge standardized test questions by getting the ‘right’ answer, but justify other answers by unpacking the assumptions that are made in the problem.”

It also asks instructors to “center ethnomathematics” in multiple ways, one of which is to “identify and challenge the ways that math is used to uphold capitalist, imperialist, and racist views.”

Soo...
Apparently Algebra wasn't invented by the Chinese, copied by the Arabs, refined by the Italians, or pushed farther by the British.
Only those evil white guys were smart?

Posts: 9152 | Location: Somewhere looking for ammo that nobody has at a place I haven't been to for a pistol I couldn't live without... | Registered: December 02, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Statistics will be taboo soon. E.g. if Trump got 3% of the vote in a precinct, what is the probability that 2000 votes would arrive marked for Biden? Ignore downballot races

What is this probability relative to picking one hydrogen atom in our galaxy?

Show your work. Hint: Poisson distribution

Posts: 122 | Location: N. TX | Registered: June 22, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 229DAK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by .38supersig:
Finding The Right Answer A Sign Of White Supremacy
Tell that to the IRS. I'm sure they will agree with whatever number you come up with.

Posts: 9041 | Location: Northern Virginia | Registered: November 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Banned
posted Hide Post
So in today lunatic society what isn't racist??

Posts: 1396 | Registered: August 25, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I Deal In Lead
Picture of Flash-LB
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by kramden:

Anything that minorities say or do.

Posts: 10626 | Location: Gilbert Arizona | Registered: March 21, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nosce te ipsum
Picture of Woodman
posted Hide Post
quote:

Anthony Fauci, the nation's top infectious disease expert, has won a $1 million Israeli prize for “defending science” throughout his career.

He's definitely checking the boxes:
Italian-American: genocidal colonist
Rewarded: White Deservedness
Scientist: heretical racist

Posts: 8759 | Registered: March 24, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
So do you have to use ebonics to explain your ethnomathematics equation?

Posts: 23450 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Power is nothing
without control
posted Hide Post
Statistically Speaking, math is totally racist. Luckily, science isn’t racist, and it told me correlation is not causation, so math might still be ok!

(I’m unreasonably please with myself for that terrible joke.)

- Bret

Posts: 2465 | Location: OH | Registered: March 03, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official Space Nerd
Picture of Hound Dog
posted Hide Post
quote:

EVERYTHING is 'racist' today.

My nephew told me he heard people are complaining that (white) Tom Brady was racist for beating (black) Patrick Mahomes in the Super Bowl during Black History Month. Neither of us can tell if this 'complaint' is true or was supposed to be a joke.

It honestly would not surprise me a bit if this was a real complaint. . .

Fear God and Dread Nought
Admiral of the Fleet Sir Jacky Fisher

Posts: 21845 | Location: Hobbiton, The Shire, Middle Earth | Registered: September 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 229DAK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Woodman:
Anthony Fauci, the nation's top infectious disease expert, has won a $1 million Israeli prize for “defending science” throughout his career.
Woodman - do you have the link to this?

I wonder if he can personally keep the money (and pay taxes) or it has to go to the Treasury since he "won" it as a government employee based entirely on his civil service career?

Posts: 9041 | Location: Northern Virginia | Registered: November 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of HayesGreener
posted Hide Post
Ididocracy was so prescient
https://www.bing.com/videos/se...w=detail&FORM=VIREHT

CMSGT USAF (Retired)
Chief of Police (Retired)

Posts: 4358 | Location: Florida Panhandle | Registered: September 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I will get by
Picture of Rustyblade
posted Hide Post
Anyone who cannot cope with mathematics is not fully human. At best, he is a tolerable subhuman who has learned to wear his shoes, bathe, and not make messes in the house.
Robert A. Heinlein

Do not necessarily attribute someone's nasty or inappropriate actions as intended when it may be explained by ignorance or stupidity.

Posts: 1291 | Location: Delray Beach | Registered: February 21, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nosce te ipsum
Picture of Woodman
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 229DAK:
quote:
Originally posted by Woodman:
Woodman - do you have the link to this?
Yes, sorry, the entire quote was supposed to link. Here is the google search:

google = Anthony Fauci, $1 million prize

https://www.google.com/search?...ze&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8

Posts: 8759 | Registered: March 24, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Another peek inside the insane asylum known as the Oregon Department of Education.

From “The College Fix”, in an article titled -

To fight racism, math teachers urged to accept Tik Tok videos instead of asking students to ‘show their work’

As described in a portion of the article (which I don’t think was mentioned in the article linked in the first post) -

“The College Fix recently reported on the Oregon Department of Education’s effort to promote “math equity.”

The effort is outlined in an 82-page training manual distributed to educators and titled “A Pathway to Equitable Math Instruction: Dismantling Racism in Mathematics Instruction.”

One section argues that “white supremacy culture shows up in math classrooms” when students are required to “show their work.”

“Math teachers ask students to show work so that teachers know what students are thinking, but that centers the teacher’s need to understand rather than student learning. It becomes a crutch for teachers seeking to understand what students are thinking and less of a tool for students in learning how to process,” the training manual states.

“Thus, requiring students to show their work reinforces worship of the written word as well as paternalism,” it adds.

Instead, teachers are instructed to offer different ways for students to show their math knowledge. Among them?

“Have students create TikTok videos, silent films, or cartoons about mathematical concepts or procedures,” the manual states.

Other ideas include asking students to show their math competency via pictures or symbols.”

All-righty then.

Posts: 3476 | Location: Lehigh Valley, PA | Registered: March 27, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
safe & sound
Picture of a1abdj
posted Hide Post
quote:
Other ideas include asking students to show their math competency via pictures or symbols.

Oh! Like numbers and math symbols? Genius!

We should call that "showing your work".

www.zykansafe.com

Posts: 15717 | Location: St. Charles, MO, USA | Registered: September 22, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
If I were a high school math teacher today, I think I would engage a real-world prop in my classroom. I would place a nice True Temper, Ames Hardware, or similar long-handled round-bladed steel shovel in the front of the room next to my desk. I would inform the students that in life there are all sorts of tools available to help you earn a living. Some are like the tools being taught in the math classroom and some are more like the steel shovel. In America, we enjoy the freedom to pursue our happiness using the types of tools we choose to support ourselves. But you should be aware, should you choose the shovel, your work over many years may be awfully hard on your body. Oh, and at the end of each workday, you should know that your boss will expect you to show your work.

I am enough of a realist to know that this lesson would probably be lost on most of the students today. But just maybe, it might inspire one or two individuals to try a little harder to learn some new tools. Then again, today, it would probably cost me my job as a teacher. I would be labeled as a racist since everything today seems to be tied to racism (sarcasm).

Before I am labeled as such, I should make you aware that, at a young age, my father taught me the proper care and handling of a shovel and over the years I enjoyed the pride coming from the work a good shovel can produce. But, I am also happy that I was inspired by my parents to work as hard on a degree in engineering. I was educated in an environment where you were expected to show your work. In fact, I found it disappointing at times when you didn’t have the opportunity to show your efforts and your thought process.

We need a new kind of Woke and we need it quickly!

Posts: 282 | Location: Central PA | Registered: November 11, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Ripley
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Hound Dog:

My nephew told me he heard people are complaining that (white) Tom Brady was racist for beating (black) Patrick Mahomes in the Super Bowl during Black History Month. Neither of us can tell if this 'complaint' is true or was supposed to be a joke.

It honestly would not surprise me a bit if this was a real complaint. . .

Post Super Bowl, I caught a couple different sports channel discussions on exactly that line of thinking. The (black) people saying those things kinda indicated they were joking, knowing it's an embarrassing subject. But it was clear they kinda weren't joking. Roll Eyes

Set the controls for the heart of the Sun.

Posts: 8345 | Location: Flown-over country | Registered: December 25, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Math teachers ask students to show work so that teachers know what students are thinking, but that centers the teacher’s need to understand rather than student learning. It becomes a crutch for teachers seeking to understand what students are thinking and less of a tool for students in learning how to process,” the training manual states.

Not that TikTock videos are a solution, however this drove me nuts in math classes, I could figure the answer out in my head but we weren't allowed to just get the answer you had to show it...

If I can figure it out quickly in my brain, why the need to show I know how the answer was ascertained..

This was in the beginning of scientific calculators, nobody had them when I was in grade school, and it's hard to hid an abacus in your pants, guess a slide rule could be used.

I'd argue if you were in elementary school 4th grade and could run a slide rule, you should get an A just for that....

Posts: 23450 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post