SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Mathematics is Racist!
Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Mathematics is Racist! Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
Stuff like this makes my blood boil for a variety of reasons.

First of all, is the reporting accurate? From the article, the workshop is offered and the ODE encourages middle school teachers to take advantage of the training. What percent of teachers are/have/will take advantage of the program? If 99% of teachers simply ignore it because it's stupid, not mandated, or feel it won't benefit their students - then it's kinda of a non-issue. If so, my beef is with the ODE pushing this crap.

Secondly, where the response from the business community in Oregon, particularly those "Black, Latinx, and multilingual" business owners or professionals? Is the Black cardiologist or Latinx carpenter going to push back on this crap? Is the Indian engineer at Intel or University of Oregon going to accept "The concept of mathematics being purely objective is unequivocally false, and teaching it is even much less so." My guess is these scenarios is the adults in the room are rejecting this crap. The Latinx contractor isn't guessing how much concrete to order for the next driveway pour. He's not thinking it's racist to calculate 6 cubic yards or 7 cubic yards when the success of his job is at stake.

ODE - stop hurting the children with your mindless drivel. If your minority children are suffering, try implementing tough love rules and programs that don't make matters worse.

P229

Posts: 3825 | Location: Sacramento, CA | Registered: November 21, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
4-H Shooting
Sports Instructor
Picture of Zecpull
posted Hide Post
I have to wonder if the black women that worked for Nasa, knew that math was racist?

'The true soldier fights not because he hates what is in front of him, but
> because he loves what is behind him.' G. K. Chesterton

NRA Endowment Life member
NRA Pistol instructor...and Range Safety instructor
Women On Target Instructor.

Posts: 9071 | Location: Wooster,Ohio | Registered: May 11, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
chickenshit
Picture of rsbolo
posted Hide Post
Don't worry, real math is still being taught it is just being taught to fewer and fewer American children.

India, China, and much of the rest of the world still teach mathematics as we once did in America.

Posts: 8000 | Location: East Central FL | Registered: January 05, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Hobbs
posted Hide Post
Read an article from 2019 stating that as of 2017, Oregon had the second lowest high school graduation rate in the nation, only ahead of New Mexico. An independent audit suggested 13 changes to improve grad rates and in the years since the audit, only 3 changes had been implemented with no improvement in grad rates. I think the Oregon Department of Education is flying solo on this racist contention in an effort to 1) draw attention away from their ineptitude and 2) grasping at straws to mitigate fault with their sorry grad marks. And if this "racist" approach doesn't float, they'll grasp at anything else to provide an excuse for failure, no matter how utterly stupid it is. The more shocking and stupid, the better to distract from and deflect blame.

https://www.oregonlive.com/edu...y-with-inaction.html

Posts: 4699 | Location: Bathing in the stream of consciousness ~~~ | Registered: July 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Void Where Prohibited
Picture of WaterburyBob
posted Hide Post
C'mon, man. If the commoners know math they'll be able to tell that all the Covid numbers don't add up.

"If Gun Control worked, Chicago would look like Mayberry, not Thunderdome" - Cam Edwards

Posts: 16514 | Location: Under the Boot of Tyranny in Connectistan | Registered: February 02, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Master of one hand
pistol shooting
Picture of Hamden106
posted Hide Post
I was a math and physics major long long ago. I probably couldn't solve a diffy-q equation now.

So it is now racist to expect me to solve a differential equation.

SIGnature
NRA Benefactor CMP Pistol Distinguished

Posts: 6314 | Location: Oregon | Registered: September 01, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
How the fuck did we get to this point? Math is idiocist, as I can prove. I went through college courses in Algebra, Trig, and Calculus. I did my home work assignments 3 times every night because the only thing they could do on a test is change the numbers. As and Bs and I still don't know shit about Calculus. I'm tired of being discriminated against for being a math idiot. I think I might start a riot Big Grin

Posts: 7549 | Registered: October 31, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Too old to run,
too mean to quit!
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by signewt:
I was advised long ago by my math teachers, that getting the right answer IS the goal.

Yeah, so was I but that was more than 70 years ago.

Have not had kids in school in many years. Do they still teach math, or do they let them use computers/smart phones?

Elk

There has never been an occasion where a people gave up their weapons in the interest of peace that didn't end in their massacre. (Louis L'Amour)

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical. "
-Thomas Jefferson

"America is great because she is good. If America ceases to be good, America will cease to be great." Alexis de Tocqueville

FBHO!!!

The Idaho Elk Hunter

Posts: 25643 | Location: Virginia | Registered: December 16, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Hobbs
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Elk Hunter:
... or do they let them use computers/smart phones?

Just a matter of time before those too are declared racist. For the time being, those devices are simply too "useful" to the average idiot.

Posts: 4699 | Location: Bathing in the stream of consciousness ~~~ | Registered: July 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Shall Not Be Infringed
Picture of nhracecraft
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sigfreund:
quote:
Originally posted by Scoutmaster:
using trigonometry

I use trigonometry and algebra fairly regularly, if not frequently, 50+ years after having studied them in school. And an obvious fact is that “I never use that stuff” is meaningless coming from someone who never learned them in the first place.

I'll just leave this here.... Wink

If Some is Good, and More is Better.....then Too Much, is Just Enough !!
Trump 2024....Save America!
"May Almighty God bless the United States of America" - parabellum 7/26/20
Live Free or Die!

Posts: 8883 | Location: New Hampshire | Registered: October 29, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
For real?
Picture of Chowser
posted Hide Post
I still use algebra, trig and geometry. Don't use calculus or any of the higher maths I've taken.

Not minority enough!

Posts: 8020 | Location: Cleveland, OH | Registered: August 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Tubetone
posted Hide Post
Ouch. As of December of 2020, here is a world ranking of 8th grade math performance:

“ Country:
World East Asia & Pacific American Samoa Australia Brunei Darussalam Cambodia China Fiji French Polynesia Guam Hong Kong SAR, China Indonesia Japan Kiribati Korea, Dem. People's Rep. Korea, Rep. Lao PDR Macao SAR, China Malaysia Marshall Islands Mongolia Myanmar Nauru New Caledonia New Zealand Northern Mariana Islands Palau Papua New Guinea Philippines Samoa Singapore Solomon Islands Thailand Timor-Leste Tonga Tuvalu Vanuatu Vietnam Europe & Central Asia Albania Andorra Armenia Austria Azerbaijan Belarus Belgium Bosnia and Herzegovina Bulgaria Croatia Cyprus Czech Republic Denmark Estonia Faroe Islands Finland France Georgia Germany Gibraltar Greece Greenland Hungary Iceland Ireland Isle of Man Italy Kazakhstan Kyrgyz Republic Latvia Liechtenstein Lithuania Luxembourg Moldova Monaco Montenegro Netherlands North Macedonia Norway Poland Portugal Romania Russian Federation San Marino Serbia Slovak Republic Slovenia Spain Sweden Switzerland Tajikistan Turkey Turkmenistan Ukraine United Kingdom Uzbekistan Latin America & Caribbean Antigua and Barbuda Aruba Argentina Bahamas, The Barbados Belize Bolivia Brazil Cayman Islands Chile Costa Rica Colombia Cuba Curaçao Dominica Dominican Republic Ecuador El Salvador Grenada Guatemala Guyana Haiti Honduras Jamaica Mexico Nicaragua Panama Paraguay Peru Puerto Rico Sint Maarten (Dutch part) St. Kitts and Nevis St. Martin (French part) St. Lucia St. Vincent and the Grenadines Suriname Trinidad and Tobago Turks and Caicos Islands Uruguay Venezuela, RB Virgin Islands (U.S.) Middle East & North Africa Algeria Bahrain Egypt, Arab Rep. Djibouti Iraq Iran, Islamic Rep. Israel Jordan Kuwait Lebanon Libya Malta Morocco Oman Qatar Saudi Arabia Syrian Arab Republic United Arab Emirates Tunisia Yemen, Rep. Bermuda Canada United States South Asia Afghanistan Bangladesh Bhutan India Pakistan Nepal Maldives Sri Lanka Angola Benin Botswana Burkina Faso Burundi Cabo Verde Cameroon Central African Republic Chad Comoros Congo, Dem. Rep. Congo, Rep. Côte d'Ivoire Ethiopia Eritrea Equatorial Guinea Gabon Gambia, The Ghana Guinea Guinea-Bissau Kenya Lesotho Liberia Madagascar Malawi Mali Mauritania Mauritius Mozambique Namibia Niger Nigeria Rwanda São Tomé and Principe Seychelles Senegal Sierra Leone Somalia South Africa South Sudan Sudan Eswatini Tanzania Togo Uganda Zambia Zimbabwe”. LINK [Emphasis Added]

I’m sure making math “racist,” will do loads for our children’s performance.

There’s another thread where France questions our obsession with race and specifically rejects our notions of it in order to protect their society.

While China, for instance, builds strong mathematical and logic skills in their children, we’re producing aggrieved whiners.

Posts: 3078 | Registered: January 06, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Wait, what?
Picture of gearhounds
posted Hide Post
So math isn’t that important anymore...well, the world needs ditch diggers too...

“Remember to get vaccinated or a vaccinated person might get sick from a virus they got vaccinated against because you’re not vaccinated.” - author unknown

Posts: 15576 | Location: Martinsburg WV | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
No double standards
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Tubetone:
Ouch. As of December of 2020, here is a world ranking of 8th grade math performance:

“ Country:
East Asia . . Hong Kong . . China
United States . . .
While China, for instance, builds strong mathematical and logic skills in their children, we’re producing aggrieved whiners.

Somewhat related. Some years ago there was an article in the WSJ re a Silicon Valley public high school, fairly upper crust area, heavy Asian population. Seems a significant number of white high school students living within that high school boundaries went to private schools, as the Asian students were too academically competitive, made school too hard.

"Liberty lies in the hearts of men and women. When it dies there, no constitution, no law, no court can save it....While it lies there, it needs no constitution, no law, no court to save it"
- Judge Learned Hand, May 1944

Posts: 30668 | Location: UT | Registered: November 11, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Conveniently located directly
above the center of the Earth
Picture of signewt
posted Hide Post
quote:
the board fits if I say it does; there are no "right" answers

...wait....wait....you guys got Boards & saws & shit?

**************~~~~~~~~~~
"I've been on this rock too long to bother with these liars any more."
~SIGforum advisor~
"When the pain of staying the same outweighs the pain of change, then change will come."~~sigmonkey

Posts: 9854 | Location: sunny Orygun | Registered: September 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Ironbutt
posted Hide Post
You privileged white people are racist, and need to stop judging people by the color of their skin.

------------------------------------------------

"It's hard to imagine a more stupid or dangerous way of making decisions, than by putting those decisions in the hands of people who pay no price for being wrong."
Thomas Sowell

Posts: 2048 | Location: PA | Registered: September 01, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Do---or do not.
There is no try.
posted Hide Post
quote:

“ Country:
World East Asia & Pacific American Samoa Australia Brunei Darussalam Cambodia China Fiji French Polynesia Guam Hong Kong SAR, China Indonesia Japan Kiribati Korea, Dem. People's Rep. Korea, Rep. Lao PDR Macao SAR, China Malaysia Marshall Islands Mongolia Myanmar Nauru New Caledonia New Zealand Northern Mariana Islands Palau Papua New Guinea Philippines Samoa Singapore Solomon Islands Thailand Timor-Leste Tonga Tuvalu Vanuatu Vietnam Europe & Central Asia Albania Andorra Armenia Austria Azerbaijan Belarus Belgium Bosnia and Herzegovina Bulgaria Croatia Cyprus Czech Republic Denmark Estonia Faroe Islands Finland France Georgia Germany Gibraltar Greece Greenland Hungary Iceland Ireland Isle of Man Italy Kazakhstan Kyrgyz Republic Latvia Liechtenstein Lithuania Luxembourg Moldova Monaco Montenegro Netherlands North Macedonia Norway Poland Portugal Romania Russian Federation San Marino Serbia Slovak Republic Slovenia Spain Sweden Switzerland Tajikistan Turkey Turkmenistan Ukraine United Kingdom Uzbekistan Latin America & Caribbean Antigua and Barbuda Aruba Argentina Bahamas, The Barbados Belize Bolivia Brazil Cayman Islands Chile Costa Rica Colombia Cuba Curaçao Dominica Dominican Republic Ecuador El Salvador Grenada Guatemala Guyana Haiti Honduras Jamaica Mexico Nicaragua Panama Paraguay Peru Puerto Rico Sint Maarten (Dutch part) St. Kitts and Nevis St. Martin (French part) St. Lucia St. Vincent and the Grenadines Suriname Trinidad and Tobago Turks and Caicos Islands Uruguay Venezuela, RB Virgin Islands (U.S.) Middle East & North Africa Algeria Bahrain Egypt, Arab Rep. Djibouti Iraq Iran, Islamic Rep. Israel Jordan Kuwait Lebanon Libya Malta Morocco Oman Qatar Saudi Arabia Syrian Arab Republic United Arab Emirates Tunisia Yemen, Rep. Bermuda Canada United States South Asia Afghanistan Bangladesh Bhutan India Pakistan Nepal Maldives Sri Lanka Angola Benin Botswana Burkina Faso Burundi Cabo Verde Cameroon Central African Republic Chad Comoros Congo, Dem. Rep. Congo, Rep. Côte d'Ivoire Ethiopia Eritrea Equatorial Guinea Gabon Gambia, The Ghana Guinea Guinea-Bissau Kenya Lesotho Liberia Madagascar Malawi Mali Mauritania Mauritius Mozambique Namibia Niger Nigeria Rwanda São Tomé and Principe Seychelles Senegal Sierra Leone Somalia South Africa South Sudan Sudan Eswatini Tanzania Togo Uganda Zambia Zimbabwe”. LINK [Emphasis Added]

There’s another thread where France questions our obsession with race and specifically rejects our notions of it in order to protect their society.

What you linked to is NOT the ranking order of the countries, it's just the list of countries.
When you click on a particular country, all it does is generate a whole list of characteristics.

You'll need to go in and use keywords to bring up 8th grade math performance and see if you can somehow bring up a ranked list of all of the countries in that big list.

Posts: 4498 | Registered: January 01, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Tubetone
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by snoris:
quote:

“ Country:

What you linked to is NOT the ranking order of the countries, it's just the list of countries.
When you click on a particular country, all it does is generate a whole list of characteristics.

You'll need to go in and use keywords to bring up 8th grade math performance and see if you can somehow bring up a ranked list of all of the countries in that big list.

Thanks for the review. My search was for the latest rankings. I’ll need to check it. Other cites produced similar results but were older.

2015 ranking
Another earlier grouping.
scores for 8th grade: China 609, United States 509
Interesting that performance on 8th grade math has actually decreased slightly contrasted with 2009 in the United States - all with some Black student performance exceeding whites. 2019 statistics LINK

Posts: 3078 | Registered: January 06, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ruger357
posted Hide Post
Hurry Jesus!!!!

-----------------------------------------

Roll Tide!

Glock Certified Armorer
NRA Certified Firearms Instructor

Posts: 7943 | Location: Hoover, AL | Registered: November 06, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Correct me if I’m wrong but doesn’t the teachers edition of a math book have the answers written out for them. That should tell you a lot.

Posts: 5416 | Location: Pittsburgh, PA, USA | Registered: February 27, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post