SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Mathematics is Racist!
Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Mathematics is Racist! Login/Join 
Bookers Bourbon
and a good cigar
Picture of Johnny 3eagles
posted
Oregon is at it again. Now they are training teachers that math is racist.

The Oregon Department of Education (ODE) recently encouraged teachers to register for training that encourages "ethnomathematics" and argues, among other things, that White supremacy manifests itself in the focus on finding the right answer.

An ODE newsletter sent last week advertises a Feb. 21 "Pathway to Math Equity Micro-Course," which is designed for middle school teachers to make use of a toolkit for "dismantling racism in mathematics." The event website identifies the event as a partnership between California's San Mateo County Office of Education, The Education Trust-West and others.

Part of the toolkit includes a list of ways "white supremacy culture" allegedly "infiltrates math classrooms." Those include "the focus is on getting the 'right' answer," students being "required to 'show their work,'" and other alleged manifestations.

"The concept of mathematics being purely objective is unequivocally false, and teaching it is even much less so," the document for the "Equitable Math" toolkit reads. "Upholding the idea that there are always right and wrong answers perpetuate objectivity as well as fear of open conflict."

More at the LINKY

NEXT TO GO? Spelling?
After that: Thinking is White Privilege.

BIDEN SUCKS.

If you're goin' through hell, keep on going.
Don't slow down. If you're scared don't show it.
You might get out before the devil even knows you're there.

NRA ENDOWMENT LIFE MEMBER

Posts: 7120 | Location: Arkansas  | Registered: November 06, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
“The important thing is to understand what you’re doing rather than to get the right answer.”

Tom Lehrer: The New Math (1965)

Now, however, we can also dispense with understanding what we’re doing.
All part of the master plan to make it impossible for us to resist the takeover.

6.4/93.6

“Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.”
— Plato

Posts: 47410 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ubique
Picture of TSE
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Johnny 3eagles:
Oregon is at it again. Now they are training teachers that math is racist.

The Oregon Department of Education (ODE) recently encouraged teachers to register for training that encourages "ethnomathematics" and argues, among other things, that White supremacy manifests itself in the focus on finding the right answer.

An ODE newsletter sent last week advertises a Feb. 21 "Pathway to Math Equity Micro-Course," which is designed for middle school teachers to make use of a toolkit for "dismantling racism in mathematics." The event website identifies the event as a partnership between California's San Mateo County Office of Education, The Education Trust-West and others.

Part of the toolkit includes a list of ways "white supremacy culture" allegedly "infiltrates math classrooms." Those include "the focus is on getting the 'right' answer," students being "required to 'show their work,'" and other alleged manifestations.

"The concept of mathematics being purely objective is unequivocally false, and teaching it is even much less so," the document for the "Equitable Math" toolkit reads. "Upholding the idea that there are always right and wrong answers perpetuate objectivity as well as fear of open conflict."

More at the LINKY

NEXT TO GO? Spelling?
After that: Thinking is White Privilege.

Do the Dems still insist they are the party of science?

Calgary Shooting Centre

Posts: 1494 | Location: Alberta | Registered: July 06, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Don't Panic
Picture of joel9507
posted Hide Post
If your arguments lack logic, and you're limited by your lack of math skills, then you have two choices:

1) Study hard and learn math and logic, or

2) Pretend they don't exist and/or don't matter.

Reality is, and math and logic help you deal with it.

In Fantasyland, though, anything goes. So, why study and learn, if you can profitably pretend to live in Fantasyland and have other people's money protect you from reality?

Posts: 15031 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: October 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Conveniently located directly
above the center of the Earth
Picture of signewt
posted Hide Post
I was advised long ago by my math teachers, that getting the right answer IS the goal.

**************~~~~~~~~~~
"I've been on this rock too long to bother with these liars any more."
~SIGforum advisor~
"When the pain of staying the same outweighs the pain of change, then change will come."~~sigmonkey

Posts: 9855 | Location: sunny Orygun | Registered: September 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
You don’t fix faith,
River. It fixes you.

Picture of Yanert98
posted Hide Post
Well Damn.... I just spent 2hrs last night working with my kids on getting the right answer AND showing your work.

I'm certainly headed to the re-education camps.

----------------------------------
"If you are not prepared to use force to defend civilization, then be prepared to accept barbarism.." - Thomas Sowell

Posts: 2673 | Location: Migrating with the Seasons | Registered: September 26, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
SF Jake
posted Hide Post
Well shit....not long ago came along common core math and now this???? I can’t keep up! Confused

Posts: 3119 | Location: southern connecticut | Registered: March 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Void Where Prohibited
Picture of WaterburyBob
posted Hide Post
Then how are all the drug dealers going to know what to charge their clients and how much their percentage is?

"If Gun Control worked, Chicago would look like Mayberry, not Thunderdome" - Cam Edwards

Posts: 16517 | Location: Under the Boot of Tyranny in Connectistan | Registered: February 02, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Shaql
posted Hide Post
When calculating their paycheck, I wonder if those bureaucrats are worried about whether the accountant gets the correct answer or whether they just "understand what they're doing".

As a trained engineer, I find this whole thing so laughable. I tell my kids: Math is easy. There is only 1 correct answer and you know when you have it because you can prove it. Once you understand the concepts and how to apply them (they real learning in math), math is quite simple.

Hedley Lamarr: Wait, wait, wait. I'm unarmed.
Bart: Alright, we'll settle this like men, with our fists.
Hedley Lamarr: Sorry, I just remembered . . . I am armed.

Posts: 6852 | Location: Atlanta | Registered: April 23, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
You can't make this up, we live in a parody

No one's life, liberty or property is safe while the legislature is in session.- Mark Twain

Posts: 3534 | Location: TX | Registered: October 08, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Cogito Ergo Sum
posted Hide Post
I wonder what Jaime Escalante would have thought of this?

Posts: 5694 | Registered: August 01, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Ripley
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sigfreund:
“The important thing is to understand what you’re doing rather than to get the right answer.”

Tom Lehrer: The New Math (1965)

I think my suburban Chicago jr. high school was among the first adopters of the New Math. It was made to be a big deal, we were to be thankful being the lucky ones. The only thing I remember about it was Venn diagrams, no idea what we were supposed to do with that notion.

We moved to Southern Illinois two days into the start of my freshman year of high school. So everyone was two days up on me in algebra.

I had zero idea what was expected of me when faced with x+2=4, x=?. I spent that hour panicked, lost at sea. When I finally got it, I was pissed knowing New Math had led me so far astray.

Set the controls for the heart of the Sun.

Posts: 8346 | Location: Flown-over country | Registered: December 25, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
No double standards
posted Hide Post
Earlier this week I had a tricky angle cut in some woodwork, ended up making some measurements and using trigonometry to figure just where to set the saw blade.

So now that I know the math answer doesn't matter, I could have set the saw blade anywhere and the board would still fit.

I guess I wasted a lot of time. Roll Eyes

"Liberty lies in the hearts of men and women. When it dies there, no constitution, no law, no court can save it....While it lies there, it needs no constitution, no law, no court to save it"
- Judge Learned Hand, May 1944

Posts: 30668 | Location: UT | Registered: November 11, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of konata88
posted Hide Post
Yup, let's have them remember this when these idiots program self-driving cars, program pace makers, plan shuttle trips from earth to space stations.

Close enough is good enough, right?

Humans will not die from natural disasters or pollution or starvation or disease. We're going to die because the new idiots 'missed it by that much.'

"Wrong does not cease to be wrong because the majority share in it." L.Tolstoy
"A government is just a body of people, usually, notably, ungoverned." Shepherd Book

Posts: 12719 | Location: In the gilded cage | Registered: December 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of cne32507
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Scoutmaster:
Earlier this week I had a tricky angle cut in some woodwork, ended up making some measurements and using trigonometry to figure just where to set the saw blade.

So now that I know the math answer doesn't matter, I could have set the saw blade anywhere and the board would still fit.

I guess I wasted a lot of time. Roll Eyes

"the board would still fit" You're still being racist: the board fits if I say it does; there are no "right" answers

Posts: 2520 | Location: High Sierra & Low Desert | Registered: February 03, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of az4783054
posted Hide Post
what isn't 'offensive' or 'racist' these days?

Posts: 11194 | Location: Somewhere north of a hot humid hell in the summer. | Registered: January 09, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Political Cynic
Picture of nhtagmember
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by cgode:
Well shit....not long ago came along common core math and now this???? I can’t keep up! Confused

What they have done is dumbed down common core (common crap) even further.

If you want your kids to get an education it’s best to avoid public schools. Apparently they hire the low hanging fruit - most of which is apparently rotting on the tree

Posts: 53181 | Location: Tucson Arizona | Registered: January 16, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Scoutmaster:
using trigonometry

I use trigonometry and algebra fairly regularly, if not frequently, 50+ years after having studied them in school. And an obvious fact is that “I never use that stuff” is meaningless coming from someone who never learned them in the first place.

6.4/93.6

“Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.”
— Plato

Posts: 47410 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
St. Vitus
Dance Instructor
Picture of blueye
posted Hide Post
Math is a white construct, honky.

Posts: 5302 | Location: basement | Registered: April 06, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of lkdr1989
posted Hide Post
Pfff, that's so 2020...get it straight non-binary, Mathematics is a tool of the Patriarchy Big Grin

quote:
Originally posted by blueye:
Math is a white construct, honky.

...let him who has no sword sell his robe and buy one. Luke 22:35-36 NAV

"Behold, I send you out as sheep in the midst of wolves; so be shrewd as serpents and innocent as doves." Matthew 10:16 NASV

Posts: 4335 | Location: Valley, Oregon | Registered: June 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post