SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Accessorizing the cast iron pan with leather
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Accessorizing the cast iron pan with leather Login/Join 
posted
I was wanting another handle cover for a cast iron pan.

At the local gun show there's a table with some leather left overs.

So I bought this:

And made one:

The top one by Lodge is sewn and laced.
Since I have no way to sow leather, I placed the lacing holes closer together. The leather I used is also thicker than the lodge. I'm pretty happy with the results. I have enough leather to make two more.

Posts: 10045 | Registered: October 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Neel
posted Hide Post
Very nice

Posts: 559 | Location: Idaho Panhandle | Registered: May 26, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His Royal Hiney
Picture of Rey HRH
posted Hide Post
Yours looks nicer with the tighter lacing.

"It did not really matter what we expected from life, but rather what life expected from us. We needed to stop asking about the meaning of life, and instead to think of ourselves as those who were being questioned by life – daily and hourly. Our answer must consist not in talk and meditation, but in right action and in right conduct. Life ultimately means taking the responsibility to find the right answer to its problems and to fulfill the tasks which it constantly sets for each individual." Viktor Frankl, Man's Search for Meaning, 1946.

Posts: 19582 | Location: The Free State of Arizona - Ditat Deus | Registered: March 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Loves His Wife
Picture of BRL
posted Hide Post
Nice. I wonder how they hold up with the heat over time? I'd imagine you'd oil it occasionally yo keep it from drying out.

I am not BIPOLAR. I don't even like bears.

Posts: 12930 | Location: Western WI | Registered: January 05, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BRL:
I wonder how they hold up with the heat over time?

I've had the Lodge one for a year or so. I don't leave it on the pan the whole time. Just slip it on when I need to drain grease or hold the pan for a moment. Haven't applied anything to it. So far, I haven't noticed any changes.

It has a 3/16-1/4" white liner for heat protection. You can see white, if you look at the lace holes.

I added a slip in, leather liner to mine. I will have to see how well it does controlling the heat.

Posts: 10045 | Registered: October 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Flying Sergeant
posted Hide Post
Nice work!

Posts: 1673 | Location: Waukesha,WI | Registered: December 19, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Alienator
Picture of SIG4EVA
posted Hide Post
Very cool!

SIG556 Classic
P220 Carry SAS Gen 2 SAO
SP2022 9mm German Triple Serial
P938 SAS
P365 FDE

Psalm 118:24 "This is the day which the Lord hath made; we will rejoice and be glad in it"

Posts: 7057 | Location: NC | Registered: March 16, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Shit don't
mean shit
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BRL:
Nice. I wonder how they hold up with the heat over time? I'd imagine you'd oil it occasionally yo keep it from drying out.

Not a bad idea, yo. Razz

Posts: 5733 | Location: 7400 feet in Conifer CO | Registered: November 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post