SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Leatherman at last!
Page 1 2 3 4 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Leatherman at last! Login/Join 
Picture of 71 TRUCK
posted Hide Post
I kept a Gerber tool in my fire coat for years. It has come in handy more than once.
When I moved to Fl it went into my gun cleaning box.

The Second Amendment to the United States Constitution.

A well regulated militia being necessary to the security of a free state, the right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed.

As ratified by the States and authenticated by Thomas Jefferson, Secretary of State

NRA Life Member

Posts: 2571 | Location: Central Florida, south of the mouse | Registered: March 08, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
No double standards
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by signewt:...Suddenly in hand were a modest collection of coupons/discounts/rebates. Cue REI....

I just received my dividend in the mail, along with a few discount coupons.

What to buy??? Smile

"Liberty lies in the hearts of men and women. When it dies there, no constitution, no law, no court can save it....While it lies there, it needs no constitution, no law, no court to save it"
- Judge Learned Hand, May 1944

Posts: 30668 | Location: UT | Registered: November 11, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Tinker Sailor Soldier Pie
Picture of Balzé Halzé
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by cudameat:
quote:
Originally posted by YooperSigs:
Since cudameat has self identified, perhaps he could answer a couple of questions:
The "Tread"
Sell a lot of those?
Any good sources for one?
Thanks!

Yes, the Tread is insanely popular. Since 9/11 it's obviously been next-to-impossible to carry a Leatherman on a plane; the Tread allows that. It's not meant to replace a toolbox - if you're standing in your garage you're not reaching for the Tread first. When you're not expecting to need a tool, though, having the Tread is quite handy.

It does, however, have limited distribution so your best bet is Grainger, MSC, or Cabelas.

I've seen those at REI as well. Not something I would ever wear in my line of work. The consequences are too horrific to the think about (e.g. degloving).

~Alan

Acta Non Verba
NRA Life Member (Patron)
God, Family, Guns, Country

Men will fight and die to protect women... because women protect everything else. ~Andrew Klavan

"Once there was only dark. If you ask me, light is winning." ~Rust Cohle

Posts: 30409 | Location: Elv. 7,000 feet, Utah | Registered: October 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Conveniently located directly
above the center of the Earth
Picture of signewt
posted Hide Post
chores on my first 1/2 day 'shake down' cruise learning just how the Surge functions:

1) sawed 2x1/2" slat;

2) tightened a few Phillips heads;

3) cut some brat links apart on grill;

4) sliced my grilled brat for lunch;

5) cut open reloading supplies box;

6) checked grip screws in 229 (yes
the large screwdriver does seem to fit perfectly);

7) belt wear was a bit bulky, but it did give extra cardio workout just carrying this around, plus the extra effort of hoisting up my drooping pants often, despite using a tight belt.

One hand opening for the knife blades seems easy enough.

Posts: 9854 | Location: sunny Orygun | Registered: September 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of downtownv
posted Hide Post
The wave is a better carry for me however the surge is molle on my "Go Bag".
This business clothes the Micro is great!

https://www.teampython.com

Posts: 8355 | Location: 18 miles long, 6 Miles at Sea | Registered: January 22, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have a Wave and a Surge but find I go back to the Blast or Fuse as my EDC.Im a service tech and find the last 2 have what I need to do some unorthodox jobs on my equipment.

I'm alright it's the rest of the world that's all screwed up!

Posts: 1365 | Location: Southern Michigan | Registered: May 30, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by signewt:
7) belt wear was a bit bulky, but it did give extra cardio workout just carrying this around, plus the extra effort of hoisting up my drooping pants often, despite using a tight belt.
Mark my word- you'll tire of carrying the Surge before too long. Get yourself a Wave, which is four ounces lighter. The form factor is essentially the same in these two tools.

"I am your retribution." - Donald Trump, speech at CPAC, March 4, 2023

Posts: 107587 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of konata88
posted Hide Post
Timely. I was thinking a BM Griptillian. But now considering a Skeletool CX (carry) or Wave (car). What to do.....

"Wrong does not cease to be wrong because the majority share in it." L.Tolstoy
"A government is just a body of people, usually, notably, ungoverned." Shepherd Book

Posts: 12719 | Location: In the gilded cage | Registered: December 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by konata88:
But now considering a Skeletool CX (carry) or Wave (car). What to do.....
What to do is to handle a Skeletool before purchasing. If you think that handle is comfortable, you're one up on me. Also, the thing has almost no tools.

My wife gave me a Skeletool as a Christmas present a few years back. I'm glad to have it in my collection, but I don't use it.

"I am your retribution." - Donald Trump, speech at CPAC, March 4, 2023

Posts: 107587 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Unflappable Enginerd
Picture of stoic-one
posted Hide Post
I EDC a SOG TiNi Powerlock and have for many years.

I've done work on tooling machines at the Leatherman plant in OR, a couple grinders and some forming machines. Actually whipped out a SOG at one point while working there, got some odd looks. Wink

They make fine stuff.

NRA Benefactor
I lost all my weapons in a boating, umm, accident.
http://www.aufamily.com/forums/

Posts: 6212 | Location: Headland, AL | Registered: April 19, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
These multitool discussions are so entertaining, I could almost envision a dedicated room for them here. Some great, we'll thought out set ups, too.

Posts: 548 | Location: NoVa | Registered: March 21, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Glorious SPAM!
Picture of mbinky
posted Hide Post
Although I consider them too big to carry I would like to get one to stick in the glove box. 90% of my needs are filled by a Swiss Army Tinker model I keep in my pocket.

One day I was in a vehicle and I popped out the Swiss army to take a screw out of something. The kid with me looked at it and said "What the heck is that a World War II Gerber"? Made me feel old LOL.

Posts: 10635 | Registered: June 13, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of konata88
posted Hide Post
Nice Para!

I was leaning toward the Skeletool based on comments above and EDC. I'll try it out before buying though. I did like the 154cm blade but the curves of the frame does seem odd.

I'd be unlikely to EDC the Wave since it seems a little bulky. But I'll check it out in the store. It could always be in a bag or car I guess.

ETA: haven't tried the Skeletool yet but many online comments about perceived flimsy feel. Not in stock near me so leaning towards Wave.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: konata88,

"Wrong does not cease to be wrong because the majority share in it." L.Tolstoy
"A government is just a body of people, usually, notably, ungoverned." Shepherd Book

Posts: 12719 | Location: In the gilded cage | Registered: December 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
the Victorinox SwissTool CS Plus is always in my truck, very handy. Also I have a Fallkniven F1 fixed blade similar to the one pictured and have to say it's the best knife I've ever owned.

Posts: 218 | Location: NC | Registered: February 21, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I've got a Leatherman Style PS on my keychain and I keep a Fuse in my backpack. It's a pretty good combo that works for me. Though I have to admit, I do like seeing what other multitools I can add.

Edit: I forgot I also have a Juice PS4. The Style replaced it as my EDC multitool. I still use the Juice for around-the-house work.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: henryarnaud,

"It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data. Insensibly one begins to twist facts to suit theories, instead of theories to suit facts." Sherlock Holmes

Posts: 1286 | Registered: February 26, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Conveniently located directly
above the center of the Earth
Picture of signewt
posted Hide Post
After a day at the range & just carrying Surge in my gear bag, I'm beginning to think the Schwartzenegger Work Out is part of the program.

Granted only day 2 into ownership, massively impressed with quality of the tool & design features.

Perhaps on the accessory pack I can locate a handy hitch & axle for ease of transport.

Actually, handling a variety of other models these were closest to feeling like a ~pleasantly useable tool~ for huskier job demands.

Worn on belt daily over about 20 years, my proud old model (less just a couple tools here) served me well for decades. Without pliers or a couple others in illustration, plus being just a bit smallish for some tasks, led me into the 'full Monte' size Surge.

Posts: 9854 | Location: sunny Orygun | Registered: September 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:
I did like the 154cm blade
I admit that I have had an adult beverage or two this afternoon, but isn't that just a bit over five feet long?

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30669 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by V-Tail:
quote:
I did like the 154cm blade
I admit that I have had an adult beverage or two this afternoon, but isn't that just a bit over five feet long?

You should see how big the screwdriver is! Razz

154CM is a type of steel - better than the standard steel used for most knife blades.

Posts: 164 | Registered: May 27, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Assault Accountant
Picture of 12GA
posted Hide Post
Just marking this thread so I know to ask for a Wave for Father's Day. It'll be my 1st Leatherman.

Thanks for the heads-up.

Posts: 2583 | Location: Upstate NY | Registered: July 02, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of SOTAR
posted Hide Post
Made in OREGON!!!

One is not enough.

Surge (maybe 2)
Wave
Juice
Squirt PS4!!! Most valuable for me.
Micra

the squirt fits in my cycling seat bag. A must have for pulling staples and the like out of a flat bike tire! No way to get them out with just a thumb and finger.

The Squirt could easily be a key change EDC item.

I'm lucky live in the Portland area and got to go to an employee sale one time.

Posts: 1037 | Location: portland, OR | Registered: October 29, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post