SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Leatherman at last!
Page 1 2 3 4 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Leatherman at last! Login/Join 
Saluki
posted Hide Post
I find bits and tools to be very individual things.

I use the hell out of the file. Torx head is becoming more common all the time. All my rifle scopes are Torx now. I've never found a use for square drive.

----------The weather is here I wish you were beautiful----------

Posts: 5130 | Location: southern Mn | Registered: February 26, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
Here's my Wave and Bit Kit. Also included is a bit extender, ferro rod, Eze-Lap diamond sharpener, Photon Microlight (white LED), removable belt clip and removable lanyard ring. Also included but not shown- a replacement battery for the Microlight, and it resides in the tiny pocket created by the opening of the Velcro attachment point of the Leatherman sheath. The small Phillips screwdriver of the Wave is perfect for unscrewing the Microlight case to change the battery.
A velcro strap helps keep the Bit Kit case closed (because in addition to the bit kit, the case contains the bit extender, Microlight, belt clip and lanyard loop) and I've folded a removable lanyard into the belt loops on the back of the Bit Kit case.

11.6 ounces for the Wave, case, sharpener, ferro rod and battery.

5.6 ounces for the Bit Kit and all included items.

A word about the knife blades on these multitools- some of them are higher end steels, such as S30V or 154-CM, but the overwhelming majority of them are plain old 420-series stainless steel. My advice to anyone who thinks they might have to use the knife blade on a multitool is to carry a sharpener. The Eze-Lap compact diamond sharpener is ideal for the Leatherman case. It's the perfect length to fit one of the side pockets of the case. On the other side goes the ferro rod. This is a very comforting setup.

"I am your retribution." - Donald Trump, speech at CPAC, March 4, 2023

Posts: 107266 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
As a Leatherman sales rep I must say - that's a very impressive setup you have, Para!

The bit kits are great to have if you own a Leatherman that has the bit holder. The bit extender is quite useful too, and will also take a 1/4" drive adapter so, if needed, you could attach 1/4" drive sockets (hey, you never know!).

For anyone that wants an all-in-one solution for fire starter and knife sharpener, check out the new-ish Signal model. It has a small ferro stick and diamond sharpener - emergency whistle, too.

Again, great setup Para!

Posts: 164 | Registered: May 27, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Conveniently located directly
above the center of the Earth
Picture of signewt
posted Hide Post

[Lust Mode ON]

Posts: 9849 | Location: sunny Orygun | Registered: September 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I use my Chage almost every day. I do have the bit holder but not the extender. That looks cool.

Jim

Posts: 1338 | Location: Northern Michigan | Registered: September 08, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Dividing by zero
since 1966
Picture of rekstrom
posted Hide Post
I have the Surge, a Wave, a Charge (got stolen), and a Skeletool. The Wave is the sweet spot for price, usefulness, size and weight.

Posts: 2952 | Location: between locations at the moment | Registered: October 31, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
When thrashing around in the bush of the Frozen North, I have a specially modified "piggyback" kydex sheath which mounts a Wave and bit kit along with a magnesium bar fire striker.
Covers all my bases.
Thrashing around in town, I pocket carry a Wingman.

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16005 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Member!
posted Hide Post
I have most of the Leatherman lineup (including the Crunch which shows I'm a Leatherman nerd!). For everyday work I carry a Supertool 200.

Posts: 4340 | Location: Boise, ID USA | Registered: February 14, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
A Supertool 200 is what I keep in my truck. I love the serrated sheepsfoot blade on the 200.

posted Hide Post
Since cudameat has self identified, perhaps he could answer a couple of questions:
The "Tread"
Sell a lot of those?
Any good sources for one?
Thanks!

Posts: 16005 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I still have the original Leatherman as part of my BUGOUT bag. God Bless Smile

"Always legally conceal carry. At the right place and time, one person can make a positive difference."

Posts: 3056 | Location: Sector 001 | Registered: October 30, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by OMCHamlin:
I just bought an original Leatherman in the little square leather sheath, at a gunshow, for $10, it was the first model with scissors and a groove down the file for sharpening fish hooks or something?
You're referring to the PST II, which was produced from 1996 to 2004. This was actually the first Leatherman I purchased, in 1998.

If you look inside the handle halves, you'll find a date of production stamped.

Tinker Sailor Soldier Pie
Picture of Balzé Halzé
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by oddball:
I have a Charge Titanium and it is handy. Carry it everyday.

This is what I carry on the ship. A few years ago, member Doshborn (Ozarks Holsters) made me a kydex sheath for it as an instant karma when I inquired with the forum about getting a new sheath. One of the most useful things I've ever been given. The Charge gets used constantly every day, and the kydex sheath makes it a snap (literally) to deploy and reholster when I'm on top of an engine or on a ladder high against a bulkhead. Perfect combination.

At home I keep a wave in the Jeep. Thinking of buying another one to keep in the house.

~Alan

Acta Non Verba
NRA Life Member (Patron)
God, Family, Guns, Country

Men will fight and die to protect women... because women protect everything else. ~Andrew Klavan

"Once there was only dark. If you ask me, light is winning." ~Rust Cohle

Posts: 30299 | Location: Elv. 7,000 feet, Utah | Registered: October 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by YooperSigs:
Since cudameat has self identified, perhaps he could answer a couple of questions:
The "Tread"
Sell a lot of those?
Any good sources for one?
Thanks!

Yes, the Tread is insanely popular. Since 9/11 it's obviously been next-to-impossible to carry a Leatherman on a plane; the Tread allows that. It's not meant to replace a toolbox - if you're standing in your garage you're not reaching for the Tread first. When you're not expecting to need a tool, though, having the Tread is quite handy.

It does, however, have limited distribution so your best bet is Grainger, MSC, or Cabelas.

Posts: 164 | Registered: May 27, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
^^^^^^ Thanks!

Purveyor of
Fine Avatars
Picture of Orguss
posted Hide Post
I have had a Supertool, currently own a Wave, but really prefer to EDC my Skeletool. It's basic but works for most jobs. I've only had to use my Wave once in the past few years because the Skeletool is sufficient enough.

"I'm yet another resource-consuming kid in an overpopulated planet raised to an alarming extent by Hollywood and Madison Avenue, poised with my cynical and alienated peers to take over the world when you're old and weak!" - Calvin, "Calvin & Hobbes"

Posts: 18018 | Location: Sonoma County, CA | Registered: April 09, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nosce te ipsum
Picture of Woodman
posted Hide Post
At the local hardware store I found one Schrade with leather case on an upper shelf. No tag, no price. I tossed a twenty on the counter and the guys said it looks fair. Great tool.

Then I found another (identical) with my brothers stuff. His is pretty well-worn. Great item to have in your kit.

Posts: 8759 | Registered: March 24, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
My first was a Supertool, bought sometime in the 90s (?).

I bought a Wingman on a travel job, nice tool but gave it to my son.

Recently purchased a Surge when a LGS put them on a crazy good sale and was gifted a black Wave.

Too big to carry for me, one is in the range bag and the other in an ammo box tool kit I use around the house.

For simple day to day chores the Crater C33TX. Decent knife for opening packages, flat and Phillips head for randoms around the house, plus a bottle opener.

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Too clever by half
Picture of jigray3
posted Hide Post
I seem to acquire multi-tools, usually with specific tools for dedicated uses. I also give them quite a bit as gifts, particularly the Wave. I believe there have been a couple of versions of the Wave over the years.

"We have a system that increasingly taxes work, and increasingly subsidizes non-work" - Milton Friedman

Posts: 10350 | Location: Richmond, VA | Registered: December 11, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Had a Wave since they first came out. Bought the 1/4" bit driver attachment and hard case bit kit.

When the MUT came out I looked at enough times the wife bought me one for my birthday. It's on my "get home bag."

Posts: 19 | Location: Wichita, Kansas | Registered: March 10, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post