SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Leatherman at last!
Page 1 2 3 4 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Leatherman at last! Login/Join 
Conveniently located directly
above the center of the Earth
Picture of signewt
posted
Periodically over the years I've gazed at these & fled from the entire species.

The fairly-recent thread here rekindled my interest & I've been lazily comparing makes/models/etc.

Recently my vintage Swiss Army knife proved the only thing handy for a couple of small chores. The stage was set.

Suddenly in hand were a modest collection of coupons/discounts/rebates. Cue REI.

Yes! The Surge!!!

Hand filling at 1.1 pounds, and not seeming to be belt-wear comfortable, chosen as it had actual tool size features and a satisfactory configuration for most of the stuff I think handy about the estate....if I find a way to keep it at hand.

Hadn't expected the 'satisfaction of ownership' to slam me so pleasantly over such a small item.
Now....about them 'bit sets' and other accessories...

Which do you find most handy & used more than 'once a year'???

Posts: 9853 | Location: sunny Orygun | Registered: September 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bent but not broken
Picture of maddy345
posted Hide Post
I carried a Gerber for years. Easier to use one handed.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

God bless the Motor Life Boat and the men & women that run them!

Posts: 3955 | Location: Just out of reach | Registered: August 06, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
I've got a Surge and man, is it a handful. If I had to choose one survival tool only, and I couldn't have an ax, hatchet, fixed blade or folding knife, the Surge would be my choice.

For everyday carry, though, you'll want to consider a Leatherman Wave. In my experience, guys don';t stop at just one multitool, so make your next one a Wave.

"I am your retribution." - Donald Trump, speech at CPAC, March 4, 2023

Posts: 107502 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fourth line skater
Picture of goose5
posted Hide Post
I have had a Leatherman Supertool 200 for years. I just googled the Surge. That thing is cool.

Posts: 7521 | Location: Pueblo, CO | Registered: July 03, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Membership has its privileges
Picture of P-220
posted Hide Post
I have 3 Leatherman Wave's.

Yes, I like this one quite a bit.

Niech Zyje P-220

Steve

Posts: 36838 | Location: 45174 | Registered: December 09, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of signewt
posted Hide Post
quote:
In my experience, guys don';t stop at just one multitool, so make your next one a Wave.

Surprised by my accountant (certified flat-lander/city life/pavement dweller) who showed me part of his Leatherman collection AND his tool-bit-charm bracelet that he actually uses now & then. And his special 'collector edition' something-or-others.

Can't help but notice the change-blade seems to be designed to take the same blade mounts as my Bosch saber saw.....[breaking into sweat]...that would open a whole 'nuther list of uses....(stepping out to the tool barn now to check....)

Posts: 9853 | Location: sunny Orygun | Registered: September 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Info Guru
Picture of BamaJeepster
posted Hide Post
I agree you need more than one, but for every day carry I use the Skeletool - and I actually pull it out and use it almost every single day.

“Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passions, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence.”
- John Adams

Posts: 29408 | Location: In the red hinterlands of Deep Blue VA | Registered: June 29, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Yes, Leatherman Wave. I carry one everyday. I lost my original one last year. Some may remember my lamenting of such, when I was inquiring the hive mind for a replacement.

A member offered to sell me his "almost brand new, hardly ever used" Wave. It was at such a great price, I couldn't pass it up. Very happy with the transaction, it was as he said it was (as there was any doubt).

I own other Leatherman tools, but the Wave is always on me.

ARman

Posts: 3151 | Registered: May 19, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Something wild
is loose
Picture of Doc H.
posted Hide Post
The Charge has gotten me through the scary woods to Gramma's house more than once. +1 any Leatherman tool....

"And gentlemen in England now abed, shall think themselves accursed they were not here, and hold their manhoods cheap whiles any speaks that fought with us upon Saint Crispin's Day"

Posts: 2746 | Location: The Shire | Registered: October 22, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get Off My Lawn
Picture of oddball
posted Hide Post
I have a Charge Titanium and it is handy. Carry it everyday.

"I’m not going to read Time Magazine, I’m not going to read Newsweek, I’m not going to read any of these magazines; I mean, because they have too much to lose by printing the truth"- Bob Dylan, 1965

Posts: 16676 | Location: Texas | Registered: May 13, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Shorted to Atmosphere
Picture of Shifferbrains
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by parabellum:
I've got a Surge and man, is it a handful. If I had to choose one survival tool only, and I couldn't have an ax, hatchet, fixed blade or folding knife, the Surge would be my choice.

For everyday carry, though, you'll want to consider a Leatherman Wave. In my experience, guys don';t stop at just one multitool, so make your next one a Wave.

Yes, the Wave is great. I carry one everyday at work and is used daily. I won't ever be without one.

Posts: 5197 | Location: Manteca, CA | Registered: May 30, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Staring back
from the abyss
Picture of Gustofer
posted Hide Post
Charge TTI.

I, too, have a Surge, but don't much care for it. I find it too beefy and the Charge has better scissors, a saw blade, and is much lighter.

Posts: 20081 | Location: Montana | Registered: November 01, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A day late, and
a dollar short
Picture of Warhorse
posted Hide Post
I too really like my Wave. Since retiring, I have no need to wear it anymore though.

Posts: 13678 | Location: Michigan | Registered: July 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by goose5:
I just googled the Surge. That thing is cool.
It's also very heavy.

"I am your retribution." - Donald Trump, speech at CPAC, March 4, 2023

Posts: 107502 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Live for today.
Tomorrow will
cost more
Picture of motor59
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BamaJeepster:
I agree you need more than one, but for every day carry I use the Skeletool - and I actually pull it out and use it almost every single day.

Concur. I use mine most every day as well.

suaviter in modo, fortiter in re

Posts: 3141 | Location: Exit 7 NJ | Registered: March 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
You're going to feel
a little pressure...
posted Hide Post
I like the Gerber Recoil. It shoots the pliers out like a OTF switchblade. Easiets for 1 hand opening.
The Wave is my second favorite.

Bruce

"The designer of the gun had clearly not been instructed to beat about the bush. 'Make it evil,' he'd been told. 'Make it totally clear that this gun has a right end and a wrong end. Make it totally clear to anyone standing at the wrong end that things are going badly for them. If that means sticking all sort of spikes and prongs and blackened bits all over it then so be it. This is not a gun for hanging over the fireplace or sticking in the umbrella stand, it is a gun for going out and making people miserable with." -Douglas Adams

“It is just as difficult and dangerous to try to free a people that wants to remain servile as it is to try to enslave a people that wants to remain free."
-Niccolo Machiavelli

The trouble with fighting for human freedom is that one spends most of one's time defending scoundrels. For it is against scoundrels that oppressive laws are first aimed, and oppression must be stopped at the beginning if it is to be stopped at all. -Mencken

Posts: 4245 | Location: AK-49 | Registered: October 06, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Snapping Twig
posted Hide Post
I must be the odd man out here.

I have several Leatherman's and other brand multi tools. They are in my vehicles - car, truck,boat, moto, but I never use them.

I carry a Swiss Army Ambassador which is small and thin in my back pocket, an Olite on my keychain and an Emerson CQC7B/wave clipped to my pocket.

These serve most all needs.

Truth be told, there was a time or three I needed the pliers from a Leatherman, but I also carry tools in all my vehicles.

I do carry a multi tool when hiking/hunting, just haven't needed to use it yet.

Posts: 2831 | Registered: May 28, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peripheral Visionary
Picture of tigereye313
posted Hide Post
I carry a Skeletool CX every day.

I also had an original well-used Supertool and had a screwdriver head snap off (on a screw, not from prying). I sent it to them for a repair but since it was D/C'd they sent me a brand new Supertool 200 instead.

Love my Leatherman's.

Posts: 11360 | Location: Texas | Registered: January 29, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Unapologetic Old
School Curmudgeon
Picture of Lord Vaalic
posted Hide Post
I'm more of a desk jockey now, but spent years as a robot tech for automotive OEM plants. I made very extensive use out of the Leatherman Wave. An extremely useful tool to have on your belt. So much so that I still wore mine daily for a very long time after I became a manager and didn't wrench on anything anymore.

Don't weep for the stupid, or you will be crying all day

Posts: 10722 | Location: TN | Registered: December 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of signewt
posted Hide Post
quote:
It's also very heavy.

I've seen pistols that weigh less.

That said, today I retrieved a belt that fits the holster & spent my morning puttering about the estate.

And yes, the replaceable saw-blade socket does fit the Bosch style blades. Even tried & cut a 2x1/2" slat to evaluate.