SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Holy crosswind landing, Batman!
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Holy crosswind landing, Batman! Login/Join 
Serenity now!
Picture of 4x5
posted

Ladies and gentlemen, take my advice - pull down your pants and slide on the ice.
ʘ ͜ʖ ʘ

Posts: 4929 | Location: Highland, UT | Registered: September 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Coin Sniper
Picture of Rightwire
posted Hide Post
I bet every barf bag in the aircraft was full

Pronoun: His Royal Highness and benevolent Majesty of all he surveys

343 - Never Forget

Its better to be Pavlov's dog than Schrodinger's cat

There are three types of mistakes; Those you learn from, those you suffer from, and those you don't survive.

Posts: 37950 | Location: Above the snow line in Michigan | Registered: May 21, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of vthoky
posted Hide Post
Some serious pucker factor there!

God bless America.

Posts: 13486 | Location: The mountainous part of Hokie Nation! | Registered: July 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Mired in the
Fog of Lucidity
posted Hide Post
The actual landing looked fairly soft, amazingly! Quite the ride down though.

Posts: 4850 | Registered: February 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Killer
posted Hide Post
I'll bet that pilot is working his ass off.

Posts: 321 | Location: Central Illinois | Registered: December 10, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Irksome Whirling Dervish
Picture of Flashlightboy
posted Hide Post
Some keen stewards of this stuff over on airliners.net opined that perhaps the vid was being shown at 1.25 or 1.5 speed and that if the approach was as daunting as portrayed, why didn't the pilot do a go around.

If real speed that's some sick passengers and some slick piloting skills.

Posts: 4076 | Location: "You can't just go to Walmart with a gift card and get a new brother." Janice Serrano | Registered: May 03, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A Grateful American
Picture of sigmonkey
posted Hide Post
Good thing the Bus Driver did not shoot for that pot of gold.

Always wandered what some of the landings looked like from the outside.

I been in a bunch of "dicy" take off and landings, and most are "fun" (from a certain point of view). Some had nothing to do with weather. But three landings like that, that I remember well.

One in a T39 at Pope AFB. Single approach, full stop. March 1978
Winds were approx 25kts, crosswind..

The slats on the T-39 are dynamic, being driven by the air pressure against them/airflow over them and the wing. So on this landing, they kept retracting and extending, and most of the time we were at the envelope that they deployed/retracted and it the crosswind gusts and input commands by the A/C were resulting in the slats cycling oddly, one wing then the other then both, then one wing, then the other, repeat. It makes for a very wild ride on the way down. And more pedal pushing and yoke yanking that you do rigging flight controls. So, I rate this one as an 8 on pucker factor. (and as close to what carrier approach must be like on a good day...)

Once in an AC-130H at Hurlburt Field, 3 approaches, diverted to Duke Field, one approach, and full stop. Dec. 1979
Winds were approx 35 kts gusts.
The Turkey, is pretty damned solid most of the time, but in gusty wind, it is like trying to carry a sheet of 4x8 plywood in a hurricane.

One in a B-737 in Wichita. 1981 Bad thunderstorm, broke out about 200 feet and less than a 1/4 mile form the numbers.

The axiom, "A good landing is any you can walk away from." Is stated by the rest of the aircrew as: "A good pilot is any that does not get an Air Force Base named after himself." (with you on board).

The 737 is another "big sheet of plywood" when its windy. Stubby little fucker is solid most of the time, but stay out of the gusty stuff.

And those De Havilland type things in bad wind. Nope, nope, nope. I'll call the Uber, and have another cup of coffee while I wait until it picks me up.

"the meaning of life, is to give life meaning" Ani Yehudi אני יהודי Le'olam lo shuv לעולם לא שוב!

Posts: 43867 | Location: ...... I am thrice divorced, and I live in a van DOWN BY THE RIVER!!! (in Arkansas) | Registered: December 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Almost as Fast as a Speeding Bullet
Picture of Otto Pilot
posted Hide Post
Ech, I have my personal opinions that have come through surviving a landing or two like that.

Go around. Screw that hero stuff unless someone is having a heart attack or you're almost out of gas.

Technique wise, I'll have to disagree with slick piloting skills. I'll quote one of the best captains I ever flew with while on the smallest airliner I ever flew (J-32 Jetstream):

Him: "Pardner (if he called you that he generally liked you), how many yaw dampers does this here airplane have?"

Me: "Ummm, none, Brian."

Him: "WRONG! It's got two, and the one in the right seat better do its damn job before the one in the left seat throws up!"

As an aside, I'd have loved to see the hands of the pilot flying. In my experience, a lot of "turbulence" down the approach can be attributed to heavy hands and overcorrection when things get sporty.

Or maybe they really are badasses.

My free opinion is worth every penny. LOL

Aeronautics confers beauty and grandeur, combining art and science for those who devote themselves to it. . . . The aeronaut, free in space, sailing in the infinite, loses himself in the immense undulations of nature. He climbs, he rises, he soars, he reigns, he hurtles the proud vault of the azure sky. — Georges Besançon

Posts: 11502 | Location: Denver and/or The World | Registered: August 30, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DeadHead
Picture of two-two-niner-romeo
posted Hide Post
Remind me to never fly to Dusseldorf on a windy day. Eek

"Being miserable and treating other people like dirt is every New Yorker's God-given right!" - GhostBusters II

"You have all the tools you need. Don't blame them. Use them." - Dan Worrall

Posts: 1902 | Location: Putnam County, NY | Registered: May 22, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
stupid beyond
all belief
Picture of Deqlyn
posted Hide Post
extra crabby

What man is a man that does not make the world better. -Balian of Ibelin

Only boring people get bored. - Ruth Burke

Posts: 8227 | Registered: September 13, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bushpilot
posted Hide Post
I agree, that was dicey on the approach but he or she made a landing but I wonder how many pax were bent over their barf bags. I wonder what the pireps said and if the aircraft exceeded it's max crosswind rating.

****************************************************W5SCM
"We the people are the rightful masters of both Congress and the courts, not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow the men who pervert the Constitution" - Abraham Lincoln

"I have been driven many times upon my knees by the overwhelming conviction that I had nowhere else to go" - Abraham Lincoln

Posts: 1143 | Location: Little Rock, AR | Registered: January 22, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Almost as Fast as a Speeding Bullet
Picture of Otto Pilot
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bushpilot:
...I wonder what the pireps said and if the aircraft exceeded it's max crosswind rating.

Just remember. As our management has been known to remind us, x-wind numbers are not lmitations, they are simply maximum DEMONSTRATED wind speeds. Big Grin

I happen to know a captain who landed an MD-11 well in excess of the book numbers because he had no other choice. Of course if he had screwed up...well we know how that would go.

He had us practice it in the simulator, and I got it right the third time.

Aeronautics confers beauty and grandeur, combining art and science for those who devote themselves to it. . . . The aeronaut, free in space, sailing in the infinite, loses himself in the immense undulations of nature. He climbs, he rises, he soars, he reigns, he hurtles the proud vault of the azure sky. — Georges Besançon

Posts: 11502 | Location: Denver and/or The World | Registered: August 30, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by two-two-niner-romeo:

1. Fly into Frankfurt.
2. Take the train to Düsseldorf.

Posts: 1474 | Location: Washington | Registered: August 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Step by step walk the thousand mile road
Picture of Sig2340
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Sgt Neutron:
quote:
Originally posted by two-two-niner-romeo:

1. Fly into Frankfurt.
2. Take the train to Düsseldorf.

1. Take ship to Rotterdam.
2. Rent car to get to Düsseldorf.

Nice is overrated

"It's every freedom-loving individual's duty to lie to the government."
Airsoftguy, June 29, 2018

Posts: 31427 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: May 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of downtownv
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Killer:

THEN he changed his soiled shorts!

https://www.teampython.com

Posts: 8343 | Location: 18 miles long, 6 Miles at Sea | Registered: January 22, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post

Safety, Situational Awareness and proficiency.

Neck Ties, Hats and ammo brass, Never ,ever touch'em w/o asking first

Posts: 54602 | Location: Henry County , Il | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Jimbo Jones
posted Hide Post
"Bring me my brown pants..."

quote:
Originally posted by downtownv:
quote:
Originally posted by Killer:

THEN he changed his soiled shorts!

---------------------------------------
It's like my brain's a tree and you're those little cookie elves.

Posts: 3625 | Location: Cary, NC | Registered: February 26, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post