SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    How long would a tree trunk last
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

How long would a tree trunk last Login/Join 
posted
I have a large tree in the yard, maybe 2 ft diameter. I would like to top the tree and leave about 10 ft of the trunk standing. Im thinking of building a kids tree house/ jungle gym which would be attached to the trunk. The tree house would not be fully supported by the trunk.

How long would the tree trunk last structurally?

This message has been edited. Last edited by: gpbst3,

Posts: 5416 | Location: Pittsburgh, PA, USA | Registered: February 27, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Longer than your kids interest in the tree house, I would guess. Will it have Wi-Fi?
What type of tree is it?
I had a large walnut tree that died and had the trunk taken down to about 3 ft tall. I hollowed out the stump, filled it with potting soil and planted posies in it.
Lasted for 20 years!

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16067 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
It depends on the type of tree and the condition it is in at present. Many of the Live Oaks that were destroyed by Katrina were carved by an artist into various shapes, some of which were very attractive. He treated them with some kind of preservative so they would not rot. Here is the link with pictures.

LINK: https://www.pinterest.com/pin/60306082479756680/

Posts: 17222 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
oak ? walnut? hedge apple? catalpa?
makes a big difference

Safety, Situational Awareness and proficiency.

Neck Ties, Hats and ammo brass, Never ,ever touch'em w/o asking first

Posts: 54602 | Location: Henry County , Il | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Nframe
posted Hide Post
Here in SC a 16" diameter Pine, Gum, or Oak only last about 2 years and they just fall apart. I have a few of each that have died over the years and they just kind of crumble down.
There is no way I could build anything on a stump down here.

Posts: 2912 | Location: mid S.C. | Registered: March 22, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bendable:
oak ? walnut? hedge apple? catalpa?
makes a big difference

Yep, the tree type makes a difference.

I had a barkless dead oak stump holding up a wood pile for 15 years. I just cut it down and it would have stood another 15.

I had a basswood stump that was rotted out within 5 years.

I would think if it was a hardwood and there wasn't evidence of any carpenter ants or other insects it may last awhile, especially at that diameter.

Posts: 326 | Registered: January 26, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Staring back
from the abyss
Picture of Gustofer
posted Hide Post
Agreed. Depends on the tree.

I've had Ponderosa trunks rot out in two years. I've also seen some hardwood trunks go on for decades.

Posts: 20081 | Location: Montana | Registered: November 01, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
So trunks that are useful don’t last but stumps that are a huge pain to remove and in contact with the ground last for decades. God definitely has a sense of humor.

Posts: 994 | Location: Tampa | Registered: July 27, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I believe the tree is some variety of maple and is otherwise healthy.

Posts: 5416 | Location: Pittsburgh, PA, USA | Registered: February 27, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Muzzle flash
aficionado
Picture of flashguy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by gpbst3:
So why not leave it intact and build the tree house within it?

flashguy

Texan by choice, not accident of birth

Posts: 27902 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: May 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by flashguy:
quote:
Originally posted by gpbst3:
So why not leave it intact and build the tree house within it?

flashguy

The tree is too close to the house and unsightly. Its coming down regardless.

Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
There was a Douglas Fir stump in the back of a house we had in Oregon. The last logging in the area had been 70 years earlier.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53121 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post