SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Got some bad news about good friend and former colleague..
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Got some bad news about good friend and former colleague.. Login/Join 
Picture of spunk639
posted
Got a text from my old partners daughter today telling me her dad had been given about a month to live on Friday. Went in for some tests due to severe weakness and diagnosed with stage 4 hepatic and kidney cancer, on top of it he's had heart issues a bypass surgery in 1990 at 31 and the doc said his heart was functioning at 15-20%.

I gave him call around 2pm EDT chatted for over an hour. Phone rang about twenty minutes ago his daughter called went to check on him before going to bed and he passed away.

Awful news glad I got to have a last conversation with him.

Posts: 2770 | Location: Boston, Mass | Registered: December 02, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A Grateful American
Picture of sigmonkey
posted Hide Post
God bless her for texting you, and glad you were able to make the call.

Sorry for the loss of your friend.

When it's time, please tell us of your friend.

"the meaning of life, is to give life meaning" Ani Yehudi אני יהודי Le'olam lo shuv לעולם לא שוב!

Posts: 43870 | Location: ...... I am thrice divorced, and I live in a van DOWN BY THE RIVER!!! (in Arkansas) | Registered: December 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not really from Vienna
Picture of arfmel
posted Hide Post
My condolences.

Posts: 26895 | Location: Jerkwater, Texas | Registered: January 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Muzzle flash
aficionado
Picture of flashguy
posted Hide Post
I am so sorry. The loss of a friend is never easy. I'm sure he was happy to have had a last conversation with you, and you he. It was good of his daughter to keep you in the loop.

I've had 2 deaths in my family recently--a first cousin in December and a cousin by marriage last week; no one in the family bothered to tell me about either one, and I'd have been able to attend the funerals had I known. I'm glad that you at least had notice of his impending death.

flashguy

Texan by choice, not accident of birth

Posts: 27902 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: May 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Man Once
Child Twice
posted Hide Post
My condolences to you. My best friend in HS, roommate, I was best man at his wedding, passed away on the nite I found out he was sick. I never got the chance. Always bothered me. A lot.

Posts: 11148 | Location: NE OHIO | Registered: October 22, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His Royal Hiney
Picture of Rey HRH
posted Hide Post
Wow. Pretty quick and pretty young, also.

My condolences.

"It did not really matter what we expected from life, but rather what life expected from us. We needed to stop asking about the meaning of life, and instead to think of ourselves as those who were being questioned by life – daily and hourly. Our answer must consist not in talk and meditation, but in right action and in right conduct. Life ultimately means taking the responsibility to find the right answer to its problems and to fulfill the tasks which it constantly sets for each individual." Viktor Frankl, Man's Search for Meaning, 1946.

Posts: 19647 | Location: The Free State of Arizona - Ditat Deus | Registered: March 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Wait, what?
Picture of gearhounds
posted Hide Post
Condolences. I’m glad for both of you that you were able to have that last conversation.

“Remember to get vaccinated or a vaccinated person might get sick from a virus they got vaccinated against because you’re not vaccinated.” - author unknown

Posts: 15561 | Location: Martinsburg WV | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Semper Fi - 1775
Picture of Ronin1069
posted Hide Post
Very sorry to read this. Sometimes losing a good friend can be more painful than losing a family member.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Posts: 12320 | Location: Belly of the Beast | Registered: January 02, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A day late, and
a dollar short
Picture of Warhorse
posted Hide Post
My condolences sir, I also agree it was good of his daughter to give you notice of his condition, allowing you to have that last conversation with him.

Posts: 13678 | Location: Michigan | Registered: July 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Sorry to learn of the loss of your friend.

Officers lives matter!

Posts: 3265 | Location: Arkansas | Registered: February 12, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Old, Slow,
but Lucky!
Picture of dsmack
posted Hide Post
It was good of his daughter to let you know. It is excellent that you made the call when you did and had the opportunity to have a good, long talk with him!

I hope this doesn't sound crass, but it is even better that he passed the way he did... quickly from what sounds like a probable heart attack. Much preferable to suffering his way through cancer.

God Bless him!

Don

Posts: 3418 | Location: Spokane, WA | Registered: March 15, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
may he rest in peace, my condolences to his family and you.

Posts: 6633 | Location: Virginia | Registered: December 23, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of spunk639
posted Hide Post
Went to sleep and didn't wake up, given the cancer couldn't have asked for a better way out, cancer pain was horrible and I knew he was minimizing.

Posts: 2770 | Location: Boston, Mass | Registered: December 02, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gone but Together Again.
Dad & Uncle
Picture of h2oys
posted Hide Post
Unbelievably lucky you were able to have a last conversation with him just prior to his passing. How fortunate for both of you.

My condolences and prayers sent.

Posts: 3718 | Location: St. Louis, MO | Registered: November 24, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Prince of Cats
Picture of matthew03
posted Hide Post
Sorry for your loss, really glad you got to catch up with him first.

---------------------------------------
www.AppalachianConcealment.com

Posts: 6555 | Location: S.W. Virginia | Registered: March 18, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Cogito Ergo Sum
posted Hide Post
Sorry to hear of your loss.

Posts: 5694 | Registered: August 01, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I hate hearing about your friend but I'm really happy for you that you called him. Had you put that off you'd be kicking yourself in the ass for a long time. You can look back and remember that both of you had an enjoyable chat.

Posts: 7547 | Registered: October 31, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post