SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Another hate crime hoax, St Olaf College MN
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Another hate crime hoax, St Olaf College MN Login/Join 
posted
https://www.washingtonpost.com...he-message-was-fake/

A racist note sparked protests at a Minnesota college. The school now says the message was fake.

By Peter Holley and Lindsey Bever May 10 at 8:47 PM

The hate-filled note was allegedly found on a student’s windshield on April 29, and it contained an ominous warning:

“I am so glad that you are leaving soon,” the message said. “One less n‑‑‑‑‑ that this school has to deal with. You have spoken up too much. You will change nothing. Shut up or I will shut you up.”

Days of demonstrations against hate speech and canceled classes followed at St. Olaf College, a liberal arts school in Northfield, Minn.

There was only one problem: The note, as it turns out, was fake. And yet, it arrived on the heels of nine other reported acts of hate speech on campus in recent months.

In an email sent to the campus community Wednesday, St. Olaf College President David R. Anderson revealed that investigators “confronted a person of interest” and confirmed that the threatening note was “not a genuine threat.”

“We’re confident that there is no ongoing threat from this incident to individuals or the community as a whole,” the message said.

In a subsequent email, Anderson offered more clues about the author and the note, but did not offer a name.

“The reason I said in my earlier note that this was not a genuine threat is that we learned from the author’s confession that the note was fabricated,” he added. “It was apparently a strategy to draw attention to concerns about the campus climate.”

Anderson went on to say that federal privacy laws prohibit the college from disclosing the identity of the note’s author.

[Protests erupt, classes canceled after racist notes enrage a Minnesota college]

Samantha Wells, the student who allegedly found the note, appeared to reference the president’s email on Twitter Wednesday, according to the Minnesota Star Tribune. In several tweets, the paper reported, Wells referenced being linked to the university’s investigation, but did not explicitly claim responsibility for fabricating the note.

“So, it looks like something made its way back to me in the investigation,” she tweeted. “I will be saying it was a hoax. I don’t care. There is nothing more that I can do.”

Police told the Star Tribune that Wells declined to file a criminal case, leading authorities to drop their investigation. Police told the paper that Wells informed them she’d prefer not to be involved in an investigation as she neared graduation before leaving for Europe.

Attempts to reach Wells via email were not immediately successful.

The racist note set off a flurry of student action that eventually resulted in an agreement between school officials and student protesters after several days of protest. Anderson sent an email to students May 1 stating that the administration had agreed with the student-led group “Collective For Change on The Hill,” which interrupted a college forum earlier in the day to present administrators with their demands.

“This the first step in a process toward a long-term solution, and all of us on campus are committed to moving forward in a spirit of collaboration to address these important issues,” he said.

School administrators eventually canceled classes “so that we may have time for faculty, students, and staff to continue the discussions about racism and diversity on our campus,” St. Olaf spokeswoman Kari VanDerVeen said at the time.

The racist note was the latest incident in a series of similar expressions against students.

“It’s been something that’s been going on all year,” Wells told fellow students during the weekend demonstrations, according to the Northfield News. “We’ve done so much digging and this stuff has happened for decades. There’s one thing that happens and it stops and then it happens again and then it kind of stops. I think the big message is we shouldn’t let this happen again. The administration needs to do something that stops it indefinitely.”

“We are protesting to help change the institutional structure that perpetuates racism here at St. Olaf,” she told The Washington Post in an email May 1.

[A white supremacist is accused of punching a protester. Classmates say he makes them feel ‘unsafe.’]

Nearly 3,000 full-time students were enrolled in St. Olaf College in fall 2016; 2,214 of the students were white and 63 were black, according to enrollment figures.

During the current school year, there have been nine reported acts of hate speech on campus — three incidents during the first semester and six during the second semester — according to the college.

School officials called it “deeply troubling” that some racist messages were being sent directly to specific students and said the administration is working to find those responsible for the “hate-filled acts.”

“The racist message a student received this weekend follows several other racist acts on campus throughout the year, including written racial epithets and a message targeted at another student,” VanDerVeen, the school spokeswoman, said in a statement several days after the protests began. “In addition to the sharp rise in incidents, it is also deeply troubling that the perpetrators have begun directing messages to specific members of our community.

“These acts are despicable. They violate every value we hold as a community, and they have absolutely no place at St. Olaf.”

In an April 21 email to students, Anderson, the college president, compared the recent incidents to a form of terrorism.

“I am as angry and frustrated as you are at the repeated violations of our values and community norms by someone who defaces the campus with scrawled racial epithets,” Anderson wrote. “I would love nothing more than to discover who is responsible for these acts and to remove that person from our community.”

The Northfield News reported that a student discovered a similar note on his car earlier in the month.

Then, the outlet reported, another student found a note in her backpack that read, “Go back to Africa.”

Peter Holley is a general assignment reporter at The Washington Post. He can be reached at peter.holley@washpost.com. Follow @peterjholley
Lindsey Bever is a general assignment reporter for The Washington Post. Follow @lindseybever

Posts: 15907 | Location: Eastern Iowa | Registered: May 21, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
Business as usual, no surprise whatsoever.

"I am your retribution." - Donald Trump, speech at CPAC, March 4, 2023

Posts: 107558 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Alienator
Picture of SIG4EVA
posted Hide Post
Minnesota is a "special" place...

SIG556 Classic
P220 Carry SAS Gen 2 SAO
SP2022 9mm German Triple Serial
P938 SAS
P365 FDE

Psalm 118:24 "This is the day which the Lord hath made; we will rejoice and be glad in it"

Posts: 7071 | Location: NC | Registered: March 16, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
I'm of the opinion that, eventually, this crap will taper off to nothing, since there is a growing list of these incidents which prove to be complete fabrications.

Mensch
Picture of kz1000
posted Hide Post
St. Olaf?

------------------------------------------------------------------------
"Yidn, shreibt un fershreibt"

"The Nazis entered this war under the rather childish delusion that they were going to bomb everyone else, and nobody was going to bomb them. At Rotterdam, London, Warsaw and half a hundred other places, they put their rather naive theory into operation. They sowed the wind, and now they are going to reap the whirlwind."
-Bomber Harris

Posts: 16120 | Location: Ivorydale | Registered: January 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 2012BOSS302
posted Hide Post
quote:
We’re confident that there is no ongoing threat from this incident

I disagree. As long as this student is at the school - there is a threat. This person is not playing with a full deck. The university needs to expel this person, they need to be charged and held responsible for their actions. No doubt the other incidents are fake.

Donald Trump is not a politician, he is a leader, politicians are a dime a dozen, leaders are priceless.

Posts: 3791 | Location: Idaho | Registered: January 26, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
kz1000, how 'bout this one instead?

Big Grin

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SIG4EVA:

It took about 5 seconds of Google to come up with a similar incident in NC.

http://www.theblaze.com/news/2...ed-on-white-america/

Posts: 8955 | Location: The Red part of Minnesota | Registered: October 06, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just because you can,
doesn't mean you should
posted Hide Post
What happened to the idea that you can't yell fire in a crowded theater?
One of these days someone's going to get hurt over this kind of stuff. Then What? Still call it free speech?

Posts: 9501 | Location: NE GA | Registered: August 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Mensch
Picture of kz1000
posted Hide Post
quote:
kz1000, how 'bout this one instead?

Big Grin

------------------------------------------------------------------------
"Yidn, shreibt un fershreibt"

"The Nazis entered this war under the rather childish delusion that they were going to bomb everyone else, and nobody was going to bomb them. At Rotterdam, London, Warsaw and half a hundred other places, they put their rather naive theory into operation. They sowed the wind, and now they are going to reap the whirlwind."
-Bomber Harris

Posts: 16120 | Location: Ivorydale | Registered: January 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
I guess I need to reduce the size of that image, but hey, it's Christopher Walken with a Thompson, so...

delicately calloused
Picture of darthfuster
posted Hide Post
Is that pic Hicky from Last Man Standing?

You’re a lying dog-faced pony soldier

Posts: 29695 | Location: Highland, Ut. | Registered: May 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A Grateful American
Picture of sigmonkey
posted Hide Post
I keep hearing about Hickey. Sounds like a real scary guy.

"the meaning of life, is to give life meaning" Ani Yehudi אני יהודי Le'olam lo shuv לעולם לא שוב!

Posts: 43876 | Location: ...... I am thrice divorced, and I live in a van DOWN BY THE RIVER!!! (in Arkansas) | Registered: December 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
Yes, Last Man Standing.

delicately calloused
Picture of darthfuster
posted Hide Post
One of my favorite 1911 movies.

Posts: 29695 | Location: Highland, Ut. | Registered: May 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I Am The Walrus
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SIG4EVA:

I know this didn't happen in the Twin Cities but if it weren't for the Twin Cities (and the atrocious winters), Minnesota would be heaven on earth for me.

Posts: 13109 | Registered: March 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by darthfuster:
What are the other 1910 movies?

Give it a second...

delicately calloused
Picture of darthfuster
posted Hide Post
1910, 1911....whatever it takes....

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by parabellum:
quote:
Originally posted by darthfuster:
What are the other 1910 movies?

Give it a second...

Posts: 2486 | Location: Southern Minnesota | Registered: March 15, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
It's one of your favorite one thousand nine hundred eleven movies. Take one away and you have one thousand nine hundred ten movies.

Get it?