SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Driverless Cars expected to be available soon
Page 1 2 3 4 5 ... 11
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Driverless Cars expected to be available soon Login/Join 
Wait, what?
Picture of gearhounds
posted Hide Post
I will never own or drive one if I can possibly help it. Never. When I start geezing at the professional level and become a real hazard to other drivers will be the only exception.

“Remember to get vaccinated or a vaccinated person might get sick from a virus they got vaccinated against because you’re not vaccinated.” - author unknown

Posts: 15576 | Location: Martinsburg WV | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Optimistic Cynic
Picture of architect
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by konata88:
Is there going to be something that indicates an autonomously driven car?

I would like to give these cars extra room.
That would put you in a small minority. From what I've read, one of the most tricky parts of programming the auto-drivers is that human drivers try to intimidate them on the road.

Posts: 6470 | Location: NoVA | Registered: July 22, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
In frequent stop-and-go traffic this technology would be amazing. And it would likely reduce the amount of stopping and going, saving brake components and gas at the same time. In my area I would be very interested in something like this, maybe not full autonomous but at least something for stop-and-go days (i.e. every day).

Posts: 2690 | Location: Baltimore | Registered: October 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Neel
posted Hide Post
I travel two lane roads shared with tandem loaded log trucks.

Let's say you've got one behind you at 45mph. a deer or elk steps in front of you.

If the auto braking or autonomous car brakes you're going to be having a very bad day.

Posts: 559 | Location: Idaho Panhandle | Registered: May 26, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The guy behind the guy
Picture of esdunbar
posted Hide Post
I've been able to hear Dr. Peter Diamondes a couple times in the last couple years. It's amazing how fast we're moving right now.

Here is one of his talks. Go to the 11:30 minute mark. Cool stuff. They already have all the tech to do it. Just need to finish up the paper work.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ifMgyVGGrM0

In fact self driving cars is not even cutting edge. We'll be flying to work before too long!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?...GUX6si5mXg&index=206

That above video is nuts!

In one of Diamondes' talks I saw in March of this year, he put up a pic of a NYC street in 1911 (or there about, I don't recall exactly). The street was packed with horses and buggies and you could only see 3 automobiles.

Then he showed a pic of the exact same street about 7 years later...wasn't a horse and biggie in sight.

I believe him when he says autonomous vehicle adoption will be at least as fast.

Posts: 7548 | Registered: April 19, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The guy behind the guy
Picture of esdunbar
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Neel:

Let's say you've got one behind you at 45mph. a deer or elk steps in front of you.

If the auto braking or autonomous car brakes you're going to be having a very bad day.

The computer is much more capable of determining the safest corse of action than you are. That's the point. These aren't some basic crappy systems. They are monitoring everything around you all the time.

Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
They'd be about as exciting as the new form of sexual content as in Demolition Man....

Then again, if you don't have to steer and watch traffic, maybe the conversion van with sofa in the back will become popular, as will highway sex....

Link to original video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k80UQWWUIYs

Posts: 23448 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sigcrazy7
posted Hide Post
In the last six years, my phone still can't converse like a human, with follow on questions in context, etc. I'm not so sure a computer will be ready to autonomously drive quite that fast.

Then there is the issue of people's preference to drive. New Coke was better than Classic Coke in blind tests, but the emotional appeal wasn't considered. I expect it will be many decades before you cannot buy a car with a steering wheel.

Demand not that events should happen as you wish; but wish them to happen as they do happen, and you will go on well. -Epictetus

Posts: 8217 | Location: Utah | Registered: December 18, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Big Stack
posted Hide Post
If you can think of that scenario, I bet the developers of the cars can also.

quote:
Originally posted by Neel:

Posts: 21240 | Registered: November 05, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of konata88
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by architect:
quote:
Originally posted by konata88:
Is there going to be something that indicates an autonomously driven car?

I would like to give these cars extra room.
That would put you in a small minority. From what I've read, one of the most tricky parts of programming the auto-drivers is that human drivers try to intimidate them on the road.

Exception handling is one area where there is the most significant lack of due diligence. Happy path is easy - the challenge in robust software is the exception handling. Given that lacking, I'd want to give these cars additional berth.

"Wrong does not cease to be wrong because the majority share in it." L.Tolstoy
"A government is just a body of people, usually, notably, ungoverned." Shepherd Book

Posts: 12719 | Location: In the gilded cage | Registered: December 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Conservative Behind
Enemy Lines
Picture of synthplayer
posted Hide Post
Will the OS in these driver-less cars be written by Microsoft? Eek Eek Eek

I found what you said riveting.

Posts: 10705 | Location: SF Bay Area | Registered: June 06, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not really from Vienna
Picture of arfmel
posted Hide Post
What could go wrong?

Posts: 26904 | Location: Jerkwater, Texas | Registered: January 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Political Cynic
Picture of nhtagmember
posted Hide Post
you're missing my point - and airplanes and cars are bananas and pears...airplanes do have autopilots - it takes the tedium out of flying - but a pilot makes the critical decisions and is there if the autopilot decides to go on vacation

a driver-less car...who is responsible for the safe operation?

do you need a drivers license to operate a driver-less car

if you're in an accident with one, who is responsible?

I barely trust cars with drivers coming the other way - now we have to add cars with no drivers into the mix?

[B] Against ALL enemies, foreign and DOMESTIC

Posts: 53177 | Location: Tucson Arizona | Registered: January 16, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I have not yet begun
to procrastinate
posted Hide Post
I like to drive...that means I will do the driving and not the vehicle.
I don't even want auto-braking. I can think of a couple of scenarios where hitting the gas is the appropriate course of action.

This guy had complete faith in his car...

Tesla Driver Killed

Tesla driver using autopilot killed in crash

The crash occurred May 7 when Joshua David Brown, 40, of Canton, Ohio, was behind the wheel of his black 2015 Model S Tesla, while in Autopilot mode on U.S. Route-27 in Williston, Fla., and hit the side of a tractor trailer that was crossing the road to make a turn.

"Neither Autopilot nor the driver noticed the white side of the tractor trailer against a brightly lit sky, so the brake was not applied," Tesla said in a blog post entitled "A Tragic Loss."

https://www.washingtonpost.com...m_term=.9d4a77b79ac9

--------
After the game, the King and the pawn go into the same box.

Posts: 3775 | Location: Central AZ | Registered: October 26, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Big Stack
posted Hide Post
The real question is, what will go more wrong computer driven cars or human driven? It's not like there aren't around 40,000 traffic deaths a year in the US. The computers don't have to perfect, they just have to be better.

quote:
Originally posted by arfmel:
What could go wrong?

Posts: 21240 | Registered: November 05, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by KMitch200:
I like to drive...that means I will do the driving and not the vehicle.
I don't even want auto-braking. I can think of a couple of scenarios where hitting the gas is the appropriate course of action.

This guy had complete faith in his car...

Tesla Driver Killed

Tesla driver using autopilot killed in crash

The crash occurred May 7 when Joshua David Brown, 40, of Canton, Ohio, was behind the wheel of his black 2015 Model S Tesla, while in Autopilot mode on U.S. Route-27 in Williston, Fla., and hit the side of a tractor trailer that was crossing the road to make a turn.

"Neither Autopilot nor the driver noticed the white side of the tractor trailer against a brightly lit sky, so the brake was not applied," Tesla said in a blog post entitled "A Tragic Loss."

https://www.washingtonpost.com...m_term=.9d4a77b79ac9

In a real world implementation, the truck would have a transponder of sorts to the Tesla would not have to rely solely on visual acquisition. So the visibility issue isn't a problem.

Posts: 958 | Registered: October 07, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Don't Panic
Picture of joel9507
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by esdunbar:
quote:
Originally posted by DoctorSolo:
These will be on the road for about 30 seconds. Then someone will die and thats all she wrote. Lots of shit can go wrong with radar sensors, and thanks to RoHS PCBs are all on borrowed time until a tin whisker causes a short.

I have a 7 year old. Autonomous driving vehicles will be the norm before she gets her license.

Unlikely in the extreme.

Let me introduce you to the real world, where 90% of drivers on their worst, most distracted days are better than an autonomous car could ever hope to be, said real world populated by trial lawyers and typical algorithm-producing chuckleheaded programmers working for deep-pocketed car and technology companies.

Think about that, and get back to us. Wink

Posts: 15029 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: October 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The guy behind the guy
Picture of esdunbar
posted Hide Post
I’d guess drivin yourself “old school” style will rapidly become cost prohibitive.

Car insurance costs will likely plummet with self driving cars. If you want to grab the wheel, the rates will likely be big as there are fewer and fewer “wheel grabbers” paying into insurance pools.

Glorious SPAM!
Picture of mbinky
posted Hide Post
Until they establish a track record insurance on self driving cars will likely be prohibitive for most people. So they will continue to drive themselves as it will be the cheaper option.

Posts: 10635 | Registered: June 13, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The guy behind the guy
Picture of esdunbar
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by joel9507:
quote:
Originally posted by esdunbar:
quote:
Originally posted by DoctorSolo:
These will be on the road for about 30 seconds. Then someone will die and thats all she wrote. Lots of shit can go wrong with radar sensors, and thanks to RoHS PCBs are all on borrowed time until a tin whisker causes a short.

I have a 7 year old. Autonomous driving vehicles will be the norm before she gets her license.

Unlikely in the extreme.

Let me introduce you to the real world, where 90% of drivers on their worst, most distracted days are better than an autonomous car could ever hope to be, said real world populated by trial lawyers and typical algorithm-producing chuckleheaded programmers working for deep-pocketed car and technology companies.

Think about that, and get back to us. Wink

There were plenty of folks who thought the home computer was a waste of time and money.

This is absolutely happening.