SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Driverless Cars expected to be available soon
Page 1 ... 8 9 10 11
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Driverless Cars expected to be available soon Login/Join 
Picture of kimberkid
posted Hide Post
Balzé Halzé- yanking yer crank?

Yeah, maybe a little bit, but in every age there's the ones that don't want to move forward, that's what we are ... No matter if it's people that don't want to get in that new fangled steel box and go up 20 floors ... or getting on the computer controlled train that goes 200 mph; The comparison is people and how they react to the technology ... elevators to mass transit; it's all about moving people.

As to driverless cars, I don't even like Bluetooth and don't even talk to me about this lane correcting feature in lots of new cars. Do you realize a significant number of new cars have electronic steering, not linkage that actually directs the car based on you turning the wheel?

I'm 60 but I also have a 17 year-old daughter that has had a car for 2 years but just finally got her learners permit ... she finally realized that she's not in the generation of driverless cars YET but I can see it happening in her lifetime ... She's arguing with me about learning how to parallel park because there isn't anywhere around here marked for it ... And she says her next car will do it for her, why should she learn?

I'm 60 years old, I hope to hell I never see the day they tell me I can't drive my '72 Vette because human drivers aren't permitted.

But baring an economic or earth shattering event, the technology is coming.

If you really want something you'll find a way ...
... if you don't you'll find an excuse.

I'm really not a "kid" anymore ... but I haven't grown up yet either Wink

Posts: 5706 | Registered: January 11, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
It's pronounced just
the way it's spelled
posted Hide Post
Not to be combative, but on my way home from the health club, I was wondering how these new wonder cars are going to make moral judgements? If the choice is hitting a child in the street and having, say a 90+# chance of killing her, or swerving into a minivan full of people with a say 30% chance of killing each person in the minivan, or running off the road with a 100% chance of killing the owner of the car, which does the car choose?

Posts: 1502 | Location: Arid Zone A | Registered: February 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Skeptic
Picture of Mike the Texan
posted Hide Post
quote:
...I was wondering how these new wonder cars are going to make moral judgements?

The engineers are already working on that. Scientific American Article

It's coming. I look forward to fewer distracted drivers, drunk drivers, self-important "I own this lane" drivers, and just plain dumb drivers.

As long as I can still drive/ride my own vehicle.

Posts: 220 | Location: Near a white sand beach. | Registered: October 11, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of kimberkid
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Mike the Texan:
<SNIP>
It's coming. I look forward to fewer distracted drivers, drunk drivers, self-important "I own this lane" drivers, and just plain dumb drivers.

Ah ... So you ARE one of us Smile

If you really want something you'll find a way ...
... if you don't you'll find an excuse.

I'm really not a "kid" anymore ... but I haven't grown up yet either Wink

Posts: 5706 | Registered: January 11, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I'm Fine
Picture of SBrooks
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
...I was wondering how these new wonder cars are going to make moral judgements?

If you program it to attempt to avoid pedestrians at all cost, people will cease waiting on lights at crosswalks. Idiots will just walk into and along the roadway (some do it already) anytime they please - and it will shut down some areas during rush hour.

Whereas, walking people currently are never quite sure if it's safe to step off the curb in front of a car - so they wait. If they know "the 'puter will always avoid me" - they'll just walk in front of cars all the time...

------------------
SBrooks

Posts: 3791 | Location: East Tennessee | Registered: August 21, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Prefontaine
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

Same. It is coming whether we kike it or not. The great thing is all the people that will buy them will be the very people we cannot stand now. Will be much easier to get around them and as a motorcyclist much safer than today with all these reckless fucks who drive while viewing their phone. Between what we have going on today, the sooner the better. I have zero interest but if these replace the morons I’m all for it. Worst driving I have ever seen in my life is today and it’s mostly because of the distracted/phone driving.

What am I doing? I'm talking to an empty telephone

Posts: 12622 | Location: Down South | Registered: January 16, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Prefontaine
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

Same. It is coming whether we like it or not. The great thing is all the people that will buy them will be the very people we cannot stand now. Will be much easier to get around them and as a motorcyclist much safer than today with all these reckless fucks who drive while viewing their phone. Between what we have going on today, the sooner the better. I have zero interest but if these replace the morons I’m all for it. Worst driving I have ever seen in my life is today and it’s mostly because of the distracted/phone driving.

What am I doing? I'm talking to an empty telephone

Posts: 12622 | Location: Down South | Registered: January 16, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I definitely believe in the viability of the tech in the long-run but I personally think it will be several decades before autonomous vehicles will be the norm in the US. Heck, even the NSHTA website shows a tentative schedule for safety tech and autonomous highway auto pilot is 2025+. I think regulatory considerations will be what slows things down in the states the most, not a future lack of reliable technology. Having worked in the transportation business group for one of the largest engineering firms in the world...I can say this with some degree on confidence.

Further, I'd go on to say this tech is likely going to be embraced in places like Japan, China or overseas in progressive countries like Sweden, the latter which has trials going on. Smaller geographic footprints or congested metros make the most sense. Automating rail lines, trucks, buses make a lot of sense as well, and I could see those being implemented earlier on.

I'll say this, I surely won't be the first one to try an autonomous anything in the high country of CO in the winter.

Posts: 5691 | Registered: October 11, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post